TVs & Home Theaters forum

What are the basic apps on a smart TV?

by Keithperfez / July 1, 2012 2:20 PM PDT

I'm planning on buying a 3D TV with smart features. Is it be a good decision to buy one of the LG's LM series models?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What are the basic apps on a smart TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What are the basic apps on a smart TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by pinkzroxor / July 1, 2012 5:23 PM PDT

I don't really know what you look for in TVs so I can't say if it's a good decision but it's definitely not a bad one. Lot of people like the magic remote on LG's smart TVs and their interface is very simple. Some of the basic apps include Netflix, Hulu Plus, Youtube, Facebook, and few more other social networking apps like Picasa and Twitter.

Collapse -
by perterhannity / July 4, 2012 3:40 PM PDT

Each 3d tv top producers provides pretty much the same basic apps which are those apps pink mentioned above.

The aspects you should pay attention to before you buy a smart TV might be the simplicity of its UI and the convinience of its remote

I don't think I need to introduce how simple the LG UI is. It's an obvious answer from every tech site.

The LM series you talked about all come with a magic remote.(except 9600, 8600 has a 4-mode remote which has a build-in mic, others has a 3- mode one )
The user feedbacks when it firstly came out was mixed but I found out these days, most people are prone to be positive about it.

Collapse -
Smart tv apps
by evan_sgerald / July 9, 2012 3:13 PM PDT

Though there are many applications manufacturers are introducing in their smart displays. I was reading smart TV reviews last week on Engadget, I found that LG had introduced a '3D world' smart 3d apps store to its 2012 LM series passive 3d models. Viewers can access to multiple 3d movies, games and other entertainment apps through this apps store.

Collapse -
LM7600 recommended model
by brw_charles / July 9, 2012 3:18 PM PDT

Wonderful plan! Recently my friend bought the 47LM7600 last weekend I went to her home and both of us enjoyed 3d for around 3 hours along with fresh butter corns and some drinks.

I just love the PQ of her TV; sound quality was like beyond my expectations from any TV screen.

Smart magic motion remote control was working flawlessly, I was not able to inspect her whole TV but, still enjoyed couple of smart apps. Twitter and YouTube make me crazy its in-built Wi-Fi had a nice streaming coverage.

I would recommend this model to you else, there are couple of more models in this series you can have a look on them as well.

Collapse -
Basic smart TV apps.
by derrickscottie / July 9, 2012 3:49 PM PDT

Well, the smart TV applications are being implemented by manufacturers on a regular basis.
The one you mentioned has got some amazing applications. LG had introduced many smart apps in its 2012 TV few of them are VUDU, Netflix, CinemaNow, Napster, Facebook, Twitter, LG Cloud and 3D World.

Collapse -
seems to be a good idea ~
by karcolin / July 9, 2012 4:46 PM PDT

I have used LG mobile phone for 2 years , it still works well and no problems, I like the products of LG brand . when i shopping in supermarket , lots of LG TV are on sale, bis screen is really a feast for eyes, high definition picture and clear sound , so your decision seems to be a good idea~ thanks

Collapse -
LG Smart TV
by americano82 / July 11, 2012 3:51 PM PDT

Well, from what I've seen on mine, you have your basic Twitter and Facebook integrations and such as your most basic applications. But I'm sure that as LG's smart TV application store gets under way (I think it's relatively new), you'll be able to find almost anything.

Collapse -
Basic apps
by wardo1010 / July 15, 2012 12:33 PM PDT

All LG smart Tv's offer the basic applications. Facebook, twitter, napster, hulu plus (which was added last month), netflix, google maps, MLB, NBA, NHL etc. But after using the basic applications for about a month, I heard about how many more applications there are after I upgraded. I was hesitant at first because of the price. I talked it over with my family and decided to upgrade. Best decision I've ever made after purchasing a new tv. My children loved the games (educational, yet fun and simple to play) In the end, basic applications are great to use and all the essentials are there, but upgrading it has really added a lot of fun into our lives.

Collapse -
Basic apps with bugs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2012 12:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Basic apps

Sorry but let's not hype this up. I've seeing bugs in those apps so let's not pay more for bugs.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.