Office & Productivity Software

General discussion

What are oledata.mso files?

by seafox13 / February 18, 2004 3:40 PM PST

A friend has emailed me a short story which he has written, asking me to burn it on to a cd for him, as it is too large to fit on a floppy. It has arrived as an oledata. mso file, with a header.htm attachment as well. I have never encountered this file extension before, and would like an explanation please.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What are oledata.mso files?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What are oledata.mso files?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:What are oledata.mso files?
by Kees Bakker / February 18, 2004 4:26 PM PST

See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=222330. But the original Word document should be there also. Contact your friend if it isn't. Then let him send the document as an attachment from his e-mail program, not from Word with File/Send To.

Let him consider a free or shareware zip/unzip program to compress the file, so that it fits on a diskette. Word documents compress to about 15%, if they don't contain pictures. So you can easily put a 8 Mb Word file on a diskette.
But beware diskettes are unreliable, and not fit for long term storage. CD is better for that.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:Re:What are oledata.mso files?
by seafox13 / February 18, 2004 6:12 PM PST

Kees, thank you. Yes, the original Word doc text opened in the email, and I assume that the oledata.mso file, which I am unable to open, contains the images which he imbedded in the document. I do not have Outlook installed on my pc, so this is obviously the problem? I assume from what you say, that he will need to send the complete word document as an email attachment.

Collapse -
I don't think exactly think so.
by Kees Bakker / February 18, 2004 7:26 PM PST

It's just information to show the mail (and the links inside it) in the receivers Outlook the same as in the senders Outlook, as I understand it.

Images which embedded in a Word document are embedded inside the Word document, and not sent separately, and are immediately visible and printable if you open the Word document, which will be fairly big.

However, your friend can have chosen not to embed the images in the document, but to insert links to separate files (one file for each image) on his hard disk instead (Word lets you choose from these alternatives). The Word document is fairly small than, but to read it on another computer, you have to copy all those image files to that other computer also, AND (most important) have all the files on exactly the same location (say, My Documents\My short stories\A midsummer night\Pictures) or the links on the receiving computer will point to a location that doesn't exist, so the pictures won't show up.

A CD-burner nowadays is rather cheap. Things might be easier for you and your friend if he bought one. He might have more personal files he likes to backup than just this one story and its images?

Kees

Collapse -
Kees, I will take your advice re a burner for him!
by seafox13 / February 18, 2004 8:55 PM PST

'

Collapse -
opening oledata.mso file
by valarmathimca86 / January 4, 2013 11:59 AM PST

I need a program that I can use to open the .mso files.
I am using Windows XP

Collapse -
Almost 9 years later.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 6, 2013 12:17 PM PST

It's a sure bet folk are not tracking this one.

Try what's been noted as well as asking the folk that gave you these files for the app to use them.
Bob

Collapse -
what are oledata.mos files
by pigez21 / February 13, 2012 3:14 AM PST

its this harmless to my pc?

Collapse -
No
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 13, 2012 4:26 AM PST

As far as the discussion here in this thread went, then the answer is No.

But then we have no details of what you have received or from where.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: oledata.mso files
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 14, 2012 3:29 AM PST

They are about as harmless as they are useless for you. Meaning: very useless and very harmless.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:What are oledata.mso files?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2004 10:10 PM PST
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=222330 writes:
"SYMPTOMS
When you receive a mail message you get an additional attachment, Oledata.mso. Eudora users may see a file with the extension of .wmz along with the inline file attachment. This file can not be opened or edited.
CAUSE
You are opening a mail message that has an inline attachment created with Microsoft Word 2000, the default mail format was set to HTML on the sending computer, and you are not using Outlook 2000 to view the message.
MORE INFORMATION
When sending HTML messages with an attached Microsoft Office 2000 document, the message is sent as an Outlook HTML message, not an Office Envelope message. The Oledata.mso file contains necessary information to properly render the attachment in the message in its originating program. This is known as "round tripping." There is no useful information for the user in this file and it is not editable. Do not delete this file; doing so could render the attached file unuseable.

If an HTML message is opened on a computer that does not have Outlook 2000 installed, you will see the Oledata.mso file as an additional attachment."
Collapse -
Re:Thanks, Robert.
by seafox13 / February 19, 2004 3:26 AM PST

Thank you, I have read the MS article. Interesting that, in addition to the text in the message, the oledata.mso attachment was 1.68 MB in size. There was also a header.htm attachment of 3.25 KB.
Even if I had Outlook 2000 installed, it would need to have had the service packs added, it seems.

Collapse -
Sorry to duplicate the above information.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2004 3:38 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Thanks, Robert.

But after I posted, I saw the above and decided it was best to let it stand.

About Service Packs and such. Yes. Such are going to be more important now that Microsoft leaked some Windows source code. You can read about this in the Security Forum, but it's worth noting.

Bob

Collapse -
MSO Files
by kubhekazd / February 28, 2005 4:56 PM PST

I need a program that I can use to open the .mso files.
I am using Windows XP

Collapse -
What is Oledata.mso?
by smacko101 / July 14, 2010 3:43 PM PDT

I got an email from a friend and got oledata.mso. I couldn't read the file can someone? thanks

Collapse -
How did you get on
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 14, 2010 8:34 PM PDT
In reply to: What is Oledata.mso?

with the information provided above?

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.