Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

What are my options of wireless internet?

by smedby / January 10, 2009 2:04 PM PST

We might move to a different larger unit where I know the phone company have said they can't pull dsl to because there is something wrong with the line. I can't stand going back to dial up. We have a desptop with XP and a laptop with XP. What are my options of getting internet to these two units without being hooked up to dsl from my phone company???

I wonder if there are options that will let me eliminate the land line?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What are my options of wireless internet?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What are my options of wireless internet?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wireless Internet Options
by cnetba / January 16, 2009 7:54 AM PST

I've been using a wireless Internet connection device, a USB modem, from Verizon Wireless for the last month and find it to be top notch. Had used a 3G wireless card from AT&T - with similar functionality - over the past several years with acceptable results but nothing like the ease of use and performance and for this device. The product code is UM175 and the cost for my plan $60./month for all the air time I'll ever need. Not unlimited but 5 GB of use. Can use it virtually anywhere in the country and will be provided with a free upgraded device at the end of a two year contract period. One year contract also available. Great customer support so far in two different parts of the country. Plan to drop the Internet broadband service from my cable package the end of the month. Check it out at verizonwireless.com.

Collapse -
Cricket is advertising a great plan $40/month
by mrgardon / January 24, 2009 10:01 AM PST

Using dial up now and would like to go to broad band, wifi, wireless internet - not sure what the differences are. Looked at Verizon and Cricket, both have a 5 GB thing. I say 'thing' cause I don't know what the throughput 5GB actually means. My dial up service tells me I spend just less than 8 hrs a day on the net. My time is spent on the blogs constantly up-loading/down-loading pix and txt. A higher speed connection would allow me to use video but just off the top of my head 5GB doesn't sound like a lot of something over a months period of time. Wondering what '5GB of something' actually amounts to in a period of a month?

Collapse -
What Will 5 GB/Mo. Do For You?
by cnetba / January 25, 2009 4:55 AM PST

Good question on the 5 GB of use. The guy I dealt with at a Verizon location said that, unless I was literally on line all the time during a 30 day period, I should have no problem with 5 GB being sufficient for my needs. Believe his statement to be correct as I have been averaging perhaps 3-4 hours a day 4-5 days a week and not close to exceeding 5 GB of use. Expect that my current level of use per day, if fully on Verizon, would be in the 3.5 GB range - bust just a guesstimate. I have not dropped my old cable broadband service yet and still use it occasionally, partially to compare speeds and partially out of habit, so don't have a "pure" Verizon experience to compare.

Double check what Cricket is offering for $40./mo. Verizon also has a $40. plan but the amount of use is something like 500 MB, a drop in bucket. If Cricket is truly offering 5 GB for $40., that is a great deal. Don't know much about that service except from a flyer I spotted at a truck stop last month!

One final thought - keep in mind that you'll need much less time on line to process the same amount of information with wireless broadband vs. dial-up. Two different worlds!

Collapse -
5 gb enough?
by smedby / January 25, 2009 6:05 AM PST

I have a desktop that sits online all the time, currently on dsl, a laptop that wirelessly use the same dsl, but is only on when we use it. Will my time online use gb space even if I am not doing anything?

Collapse -
Computer In Idle Mode
by cnetba / January 25, 2009 7:47 AM PST
In reply to: 5 gb enough?

You'd be smart to ask that question of Verizon. Having said that, I understand data use only takes place with the exchange of data, uploading or downloading. Connectivity per se is not data use, as i get it. One nice feature offered by Verizon is the opportunity to quickly check data use to date during the billing period with a keystroke once you are connected. Good luck!

Also, I stated in an earlier posting that the $40./mo. program from Verizon included 500 MB; it is less than that, only 50 MB and not a very practical plan for most people.

Collapse -
Yeah wondering about that...
by mrgardon / January 25, 2009 11:16 PM PST
In reply to: 5 gb enough?

Looking at the connection indicator with my dial up service it appears that your never doing absolutely nothing when connected even when your doing absolutely nothing. There appears to be some input/output going on even when I'm just sitting here watching the indicator. I suspect that's from automatic checking for up grades/updates of installed programs like email, time, weather, dow jones and like that. I suppose some computer wizard could figure out how many mb/gb's that amounts to over a month but I damn sure can't.

Collapse -
Yeah checked Verizon again and ...
by mrgardon / January 25, 2009 11:48 PM PST

they have two plans 5GB for $60 a month and 50MB for $40 a month. Both seem to be a ripoff particularly with the charges for going past the allowed mb/gb's. $.25/mb over allowance.

Here's the url I'm using for Cricket:
http://www.mycricket.com/cricketplans/
As I understand it at the moment, cricket has a plan:
$40 for 5GB/month

"Throughput may be limited if use exceeds 5GB per month. Internet browsing does not include: hosted computer applications, continuous web camera or broadcast, automatic data feeds, machine-to-machine connections, peer to peer (P2P) connections or other applications that denigrate network capacity or functionality."

Just thought I'd throw that quote in. Not absolutely sure what "Throughput may be limited" means though.
Will check on that a bit later...

Collapse -
Here is what Cricket told me in a chat with Brenda
by mrgardon / January 26, 2009 12:38 AM PST

a few minutes ago:

Brenda: If you exceed the 5GB per month your speed could slowdown to 256 kbps until the start of the next month.

Beets the hell out of the 5-8 kbs I'm getting with my dialup downloading now.

Brenda from Cricket also said there were not extra charges for going over the 5GB limit when I asked the question specifically.

Think I'm going to sign up for the service if I can get the right monthly bill agreement.

Collapse -
Re Cricket
by cnetba / January 26, 2009 6:13 AM PST

Sounds like Cricket is the way to go for you. That service not available in my area, so not an option I can pursue.

Collapse -
Yeah think I'll do the cricket thing. Just one more point
by mrgardon / January 26, 2009 6:40 AM PST
In reply to: Re Cricket

Yeah think I'll do the cricket thing.

Just one more point I'd like to make here. Have been having trouble with at&t sneaking in some extra charges about once every several months a couple of years back now. Had to call em and go through the hassle of getting em to trash those extra charges. Since then I've set up a payment plan where I send em a check from my bank with the amount I key in or use my CC with the amount I key in. A bit more of a hassle than just setting up a auto pay thing with your service provider but far less hassle than trying too call em and get credit over disputed charges.

Collapse -
5 gb/mo
by squeezit / July 23, 2009 8:41 AM PDT

I don't think they are talking about space, but upload and download speed... I could be wrong though. It is best to ask verizon... 5gb per mo is not very much at all, if they are talking about space...if they are talking about speed, I will take it... it will do just fine. Comcast only offer 10gb of download and upload speed... or am I talking about ghz.

Collapse -
Update on Cricket
by mrgardon / February 2, 2009 6:32 AM PST

Ordered cricket on the 27th, got it on the 30th via FedExp, quick shipping I thought. Installed the software and plugged in the modem and the damn thing worked. Since then it's been all down hill. Constant cut offs and speeds ranging from 36kbs to 300kbs believe I saw 900kbs one time in a couple of days now. Getting cut off 2,3-8 minutes regularly according to a very fine log they provide with the software. Expanding on the through put, which is everything you send to the net and everything it sends back to you - I come up with 7-8 GB per month. Their limit is 5GB. Suspect I've been on a bit more than usual testing things out but following blogs as I do means a lot of up/down loading of pix and clips. Since this is my first experience with BroadBand I'm really-really disappointed. Thinking of hanging in for the rest of the month and seeing how it goes... well maybe at lest the rest of the week.

Further Note: Just getting to this forum took 5 minutes and never got past 51 kbs. Well guess I should be glad they didn't cut me off for nearly 10 minutes now, huh?

Collapse -
Cricket Experience
by cnetba / February 7, 2009 12:19 AM PST
In reply to: Update on Cricket

Looks like one of those items that was a bit too good to be true. I have had almost no problems with lost signals using the Verizon USB modem in about two months of use. Am about to drop my home cable internet service to save a few dollars each month, a tribute to my Verizon experience.

Know that you said your fetish for blogs will likely exceed the 5 GB/mo. included with either Cricket or Verizon but perhaps VZ worth a second look. Two points here - you'll likely find the 5 GB goes further if you aren't constantly logging back in and slogging through web site location and Verizon is now advertising a full rebate against the cost of the modem. My transaction provided a $50. Visa gift card as a rebate that arrived within about two weeks.

By the way, I don't work for Verizon - just pleased with something that performs as advertised and, for me, seems a solid value that I can use virtually anywhere without hassle.

Collapse -
Cricket Experience
by dtracer46 / February 13, 2009 2:45 PM PST
In reply to: Cricket Experience

I have had Cricket wireless broadband for almost a month now. I live in a rural area northeast of Kansas City, Mo. and my only options for high speed internet are satellite or wireless as there isn't any cable or DSL where I live. $60 a month for Verizon or Sprint was too much for my budget so when Cricket came up with their $40 plan I took the plunge. So far I have been happy with the results. I ran speedtest and it reports I download at 700-750kps and upload at 115-120kps. Compared to the dialup I was on it is just great. I used to dread having to download Microsoft updates and patches, but not anymore. My experience may be unusual but but I am happy. ( by the way, I do not work for Cricket). I hooked the usb modem that I haven't had on the internet in over a year and updated the anti-virus and downloaded 49 Microsoft updates in a little over an hour, it would have days on dialup.

Collapse -
Addition
by dtracer46 / February 13, 2009 2:50 PM PST

I meant to say I hooked the usb modem to an old laptop that hasn't been on the internet in over a year, sorry

Collapse -
very unhappy with Cricket modem
by IchamofIreland / July 9, 2009 7:41 AM PDT

I was told in retail shop and by one service rep on phone their speeds were 300 - 700 Kbps and in my area I'd stay near the top. What I'm getting is 250 - 325 Kbps! lousy considering what I was promised. Plus just today it's started disconnecting me several times through the day. I'm trying to conduct business (not heavy usage, but contact with clients) using this and it's very disappointing. I've had Cricket phone service for over 9 years and have been very happy with it - but this sure pulls them down in my opinion!

Collapse -
VZW is the way to go or sprint or ATT
by Al_Swerengen / July 13, 2009 5:08 AM PDT

These three are the best solutions in my opinion.

Your lack of signal is due to your proximity to the cell towers I imagine. for users who are in densely populated areas you could probably see great speeds from the cricket service.

For those who live in more rural spots you may want to go with ATT, Verizon or Sprint.

They seem to have the best overall coverage which is probably why they have a slightly higher per month cost.

Collapse -
cricket
by snoman909 / July 10, 2010 3:17 AM PDT

everyone is happy with their cricket modem speeds it seems, When you guys get past the 5G mark could you post here about your speeds then please. LOL

Collapse -
Little late in the game,but I have a lot of rural experience
by vingts / September 1, 2009 2:11 AM PDT

I used direcway/hughesnet for more than two years and it was a miserable experience. Tech support was typically indians who asked if there was a cloud in the sky, anywhere and told you to call back tomorrow if there was. The daily download limit at about half of tupical dial up download limits was a problem, but at least it reset daily. Unfortunately, the radio transmitter had to be replaced about 5 times in two years and that typically took 3 to 5 weeks. Additionally, the initial installation didn't go into any studs and the dish wandered, which also required about a month after a few months of hassling with support about clouds.

I thought wildblue would be the answer after reading their hype machine and talking to people with it in other areas. It turned out to be a bigger 1.5 year nightmare than hughesnet could ever be. They wanted service contract payments whenever there was defective hardware...worse, the "local" contracted servicing agent lives 250 miles away. My service stopped working and I called to get it fixed, at the next available appointment time was more than 6 weeks away. But that is only the major events. On a monthly basis, even with an upgraded plan, I went over their bandwidth nearly every month, resulting in weeks at a time of below dial up speed. And this was just from using the Web! I hadn't yet even discovered youtube and I listen to music online maybe two hours a month. (I could rant about webdevelopers using flash, but I'll resist). If you complain about bandwidth, someone who knows nothing about what the term means will argue about how you could download 700 cds worth of music a month on your allowance...therefore you must be abusing the system to use so much bandwidth. I didn't download one CD(and no, no file sharing or torrenting).

Mercifully, I was forced to move on to the next option (having already been blocked from several ISPs for being connected too many hours a day on an unlimited dial-up account) - cellular Internet. Ahh, finally, broadband for the masses...err. I did 20 days on verizon and realized I was approaching 3gb, even though I'd hardly used it because I'd been hitting hotspots daily. So I took up the 30 day cancellation option. A bill for nearly $900 arrived the next month! Apparently the 5gb doesn't apply to those who cancel early. And of course, the small print mentions a .49 per mb charge! To their credit, they fixed it after a couple of hours of discussion (I was calling them from a vacation in the Philippine islands). So even after sending me a bill that nearly gave me a heart attack, verizon ranks WAY ahead of wildblue and a step up over hughesnet.

Well, then of course cricket advertisements hit the airwaves about 18 months ago. But they didn't have USB modems and modern laptops don't have PCMCIA ports. After a few months of dial up I finally got one of their first USB modems. This time I had read all of the fine print and knew about the 5gb limit. So I bought 3 modems (about same price as hughesnet premium or wildblue anyways...plus extra mobility). I switch modems every ten days, and seem to be able to get by without intentional throttling from cricket. I still don't bother with youtube or music (in spite of both being used heavily in cricket advertising). Such is life in the country, huh? Between 2pm and 11pm the connection almost doesn't work, but the rest of the day it works great so long as I have the modem taped in a window in a certain corner of the house. There is no signal at all in most of the house at any time of day. If I really need online during the day, I can drive towards a city and it starts working during the day too. So cricket has by far been my best rural Internet experience, but most urbanites would have to be talked off a bridge if they got this kind of Internet service. I'd never recommend this to someone in the city.

I'm still waiting on Bill Clinton's promise of equal broadband access across america. Bush couldn't care less about it when he came around, but my federal taxes dropped 80% under him (I own a small business with one partner and no contract employees) so things didn't hurt so much. Obama ran on the promise of getting broadband out to the rural people, and then among his first presidential acts was to delay the digital conversion, which would finally allow all cellular companies to use spectrums that could reach in nearly all homes to compete for business. Thanks Obama. I can't wait to find out who the next liar for president will be.

Collapse -
Hi Vingts
by United73 / September 2, 2009 8:13 AM PDT

What are you doing to blow through the 5G limit? I am curious because I have been approached about working for a start-up company that will be offerring truly unlimited 3g laptop data cards. I am trying to learn about industries or activities that require large data usage. I appreciate it!

Collapse -
I have CLEAR & I love it..
by cupideanso / March 13, 2014 10:29 AM PDT

I have been a customer for 2 years & I have had almost zero issues...When I do experience slow speeds. I just restart the device...$50/month & I am ALWAYS on the internet after work and all through the weekends due to a second job; it also allows up to 8 users at a time although I have't tested...the most has been three people. Two mobile and two laptops (one person had one of each going at the same time; streaming on both...)...Unforeseen con: SPRINT has just bought CLEAR and my price has already increased by $5/month and I fear it will go higher...I am already a SPRINT customer for my phone and I pay an average of $113/month; I hate the fact that I am now almost paying them $200/month - to one friggin' company...Before I skate: Yes CLEAR is great, but I remember studying about monopolies as an adolescent and its scary to see which direction it seems we are heading...

Collapse -
Thread is 1887 days old.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / March 13, 2014 10:32 AM PDT

Dafydd.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks. I've closed it now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2014 11:23 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.