Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

What Are Minimum Services Required for XP?

by jimjamgaddis / October 28, 2006 2:10 AM PDT

I have a number of computers (and teenagers) at home and the XP PC's I have seem to slow down over time - there are lots of extra things (not applications, just services and stuff) running on them and I am sure that is what is making them run so slow. I would like to make them run just the minimum services and applications - all we need is to run IE over a shared internet connection, and MS Office - nothing else. Is there a list of required services somewhere so I can elect to not run all the automatic updates, toolbars, messenger clients, etc. etc. etc. that I don't need?

Comuters are varied but all are 2GHz Intel based with WIN XP. I can reach MSconfig, just don't know what is safe to turn off.

Any gurus who can help?
Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What Are Minimum Services Required for XP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What Are Minimum Services Required for XP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You have to decide. But here's a link with info.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2006 2:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks for the help - any other thoughts?
by jimjamgaddis / October 28, 2006 2:59 AM PDT

on keeping a limited-use machine from getting bloated?

BTW, I just spent 10 minutes reading an exchange on home networking between you and someone - that was very entertaining and you do have the patience of a saint!

Thanks again for the help.

Collapse -
Are you sure it's bloated and not infected?
by glb613 / October 28, 2006 3:58 AM PDT

What do you use to protect your computer from malware? Some of the worst computers I've seen were used by teenagers.

Collapse -
That was my first thought as well
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 28, 2006 6:00 AM PDT

A slow down in performance can indicate viruses and spyware are rampant on a machine.

You've already mentioned toolbars and messenger clients, and these are all too often the source of malware. Young people see a fascination in toolbars for some reason, and many of the toolbars spy on internet habits to target searches and advertising. IM's can be particularly dangerous, especially if they are used in unmoderated or suspect chat rooms, and if the users transfer files between each other without virus checking the files they receive.

On a network especially, you need to be well armed with firewalls, anti-virus applications and anti-spyware utilities, and set up a regime of regular scanning.

Besides that, I believe your quest for leaner machines should be concentrated into 3 areas;

1] Startup

Whenever any application is installed, ensure it does not set itself to start when the computer is turned on, unless it is a necessary, eg anti-malware type, process.

Msconfig will help you remove any applications that load on start up in the Startup tab. Look for Instant Messengers, (these can be opened when required), Media Players, (ditto), especially Real Player, addons and extras that are really not necessary.

2] Services

Bob's list will help you decide which are which in MSconfig. Also, the Services console will give you more descriptions of each service, (Start > Run, type in services.msc then click OK). Services can be set to automatic, set to manual, or disabled in the console.

3] Processes

The Processes tab of the Task Manager, (right click the Taskbar, select Task manager), is a great source of information for anything that is running that shouldn't be there, like viruses, spyware, etc.

This site, http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm will help you decide which are critical, useful, or downright dangerous.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
I think you see the issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2006 5:58 AM PDT

No 2 XP machines seem to be alike. And certainly no 2 owners.

That's why we take a gander at what's running and then check a site as noted to see if we can decide if we can stop then disable that service.

The other response noted the more common pest issue. I'll suggest the scans with the free tools EWIDO, HOUSECALL and ROOTKIT REVEALER.

I eject all the first 2 find and research what the 3rd reports.

Bob

Collapse -
Excellent advice - thank you all
by jimjamgaddis / October 28, 2006 6:33 AM PDT

You are right about the teenagers being fascinated with toolbars, message clients, all that stuff! I am running Norton Internet Security on all machines, also Spybot and a-squared that I use to scan regularly. We are protected with a firewall on the router and Norton has a firewall also. I am going to use the three additional tools mentioned. This is definitley helpful, you guys are great.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.