PC Hardware forum

General discussion

What are firmware updates?

by gAmEpLaYa / June 3, 2005 6:49 PM PDT

Besides computer hardware I also notice phone line connections for other home or car entertainment equipment, such as a phoneline connection on a car amplifier, I wonder if that is for firmware also?
I have never done a firmware update. How essential is it for the operation of your system to do these types of updates? I appreciate the knowledge in cnet forums, so knowledge is never forsaken.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What are firmware updates?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What are firmware updates?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Phoneline or RJ45??
by Steven Haninger / June 3, 2005 8:56 PM PDT

I have some home audio equipment with network jacks. Most phone line jacks I've seen tend to be 4 or 6 connector. In the home, they are generally 4 connector which allow service for 2 lines. Network jacks (RJ45) are similar to phone jacks but have 8 connectors. In other computer systems, these tend to be proprietary connections for special features available for specific devices that allow them to be connected to other devices or even PCs if the right software is installed. I doubt they are for firmware updates.
A brief definition of "firmware" might be software that is built into hardware. Firmware chips contain specific instructions used in the operation of the device. Examples of devices that have firmware installed are digital cameras, scanners, some printers, portable devices such as PDAs, etc. Hard drives and CD/DVD burners also have firmware. These are sometimes upgradable as new features are added or bugs are found. The manufacturer will release what might be called a "ROM" file which can replace the software imbedded in the firmware chip. Accessing the chip will require special software as well and the manufacturer will provide this if it's meant for public release. Basically, you run the software which erases the old firmware code and replaces it with new code. You do this very carefully as it's possible to corrupt a device and make it unusable. It's advisable to read about the new code before installing it as it may contain a list of features or fixes contained within it. If the new code corrects problems you are not likely to have, such as those specific to a language or device connection which you do not own, there is no use in risking an update. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
If and when you need it....
by Willy / June 5, 2005 4:39 AM PDT

A firmware updates offers the flexibility to keep a device up-to-date on later offering. If may help with glitches or simply expand the offering it already has. The whole point, if you *need* to update then do so. If you find no hammering need then let it go. In other words, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". sorta thing.

enjoy -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.