Office & Productivity Software forum

Question

What are all the Illustrator Plug-ins to create 2D barcode?

by benbates / June 3, 2013 12:48 AM PDT

I am looking for a 2D datamatrix barcode generator as a plug-in for illustrator CS6.
I like esko, but 450 is a bit salty.
Are there are others out there?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What are all the Illustrator Plug-ins to create 2D barcode?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What are all the Illustrator Plug-ins to create 2D barcode?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I know why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2013 12:54 AM PDT

A friend was looking at this and came away worse for wear. Why? Because there are dozens of standards so which ones did he need to support?

Example at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcode#Linear_barcodes

So for now you can generate a barcode with what you have for what standard you want and then copy/paste it for now.
Bob

Collapse -
Yeah, but...
by benbates / June 3, 2013 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: I know why.

While you are correct, that there are MANY coding types, there are a handful that are more popular than the rest.
ESKO has an awesome bit of software that does this well, but the price is high.
There are MANY stand alone software packages that cover all the most common data types.
The part that I find strange, is that so few of them hove illustrator integration.
Is ESKO really the only one out there?

Collapse -
I shared my friend's story.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2013 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah, but...

Since only you have your specification on the barcode, only you can research or search for an integrated or plugin for CS6. My reply is only a story about how my friend came away worse for wear.

They found out they were not being asked to get the barcode working but all of them. That drove the price up from what it was to about 100 times more. The client obviously was upset over the change in the contract and it never moved forward.

Maybe this can be done for less but look at what it does. Maybe a lot more than what you need.
Bob

Collapse -
interesting idea...
by benbates / June 3, 2013 2:10 AM PDT

So do you think that it is possible to get someone to develop an adobe plugin to specifically generate one barcode type? The bigger question, would that be less than $450?

Collapse -
All the software we've done over the years.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2013 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: interesting idea...

Runs from 5 to 7 figures. I don't know anyone that creates a new title for that little.

That's not to say that someone can't make some generic app that makes a barcode and places it in the clipboard ready to paste with a few less steps but I haven't seen folk call out a need for that since there is a plugin for barcodes and maybe you can search for more plugins with google. My reply is more about the story and I didn't do the search for you.
Bob

Collapse -
okay, good to know
by benbates / June 3, 2013 4:29 AM PDT

Yeah, I most of the demos for good BC generating software has a copy and paste, or open in AI function.
I'm leaning towards ID Automation, I can get 5 seats for $450.
ESKO would be the only path if I can get them to fork over $450 for one seat.

Collapse -
Now that's a name I know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2013 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: okay, good to know

ID Automation went out on a limb about a decade ago to offer free TTF OCR fonts. To create barcodes with a font was and is still trivial today. You install the font and in your app when you want a bar code you select the bar code font and type in your text. Done in seconds.

Hope that's an option for you.
Bob

Collapse -
I don't think 2D use fonts
by benbates / June 3, 2013 6:50 AM PDT

I know that regular barcodes use fonts. But I don't think 2D or QR use fonts.

Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2013 6:59 AM PDT

My reply was more about what they did years ago that was, at the time, uncommon.

I can only guess you were using computers during the font wars.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
2D Data Matrix Barcode Generator
by SNHCVOO11 / July 2, 2013 1:15 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.