Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

What antivirus programs can I turn on and off?

by jbandy12 / November 14, 2010 4:12 AM PST

Hi, I currently have Norton 360 on my Dell computer running Windows XP with service pack 3. I used to be able to turn my antivirus program on and off in the past to run some programs that do not run when Norton is on. In particular pro-tools 8. Since I cannot turn it off I need to know what other anti-virus programs are out there that I can disable when I need too. That are also very stable and reliable in keeping my computer safe. What are your thoughts?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What antivirus programs can I turn on and off?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What antivirus programs can I turn on and off?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Most INCLUDING Norton 360 allow you ...
by Edward ODaniel / November 14, 2010 6:54 AM PST

to disable them.

For Norton 360 try the following:

1 Right click the Norton icon on your Windows application tray, which is located near the clock display on your computer.

2 View the Norton 360 Control Panel that displays. You will see the Firewall enabled and Auto Protect enabled menu options checked.

3 Un-check the options for the Firewall and Autoprotect to disable Norton. You will then be asked to select a time-frame for disabling the automatic protective services that ranges from 15 minutes to five hours, the next computer restart or forever. If you choose forever, you will need to manually enable Norton 360 protective services at a future time.

4 Exit the Norton 360 Control Panel by selecting the "X" in the upper right hand corner of the Norton 360 panel. Norton 360 will now be turned off.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5821205_turn-off-norton-360.html

Collapse -
Well
by bob b / November 14, 2010 7:06 AM PST

Avast provides an on/off feature......I'd have to think twice before I turned it off to let some prog or download run.

Stable?......does not give me any fuss.

Reliable?....as good as any other AV product.

Collapse -
Do not disable Norton - Add Exception
by Michael_York / November 16, 2010 5:18 AM PST

Hi,

This is Mike from the Norton Support Team.

To keep your computer secure I would advise you against disabling Norton 360. Instead, follow th einstructions in the following document to configure Norton 360 to allow the ProTools application access through the Norton 360 Firewall.

Allow Application access through the Norton 360 Firewall

Thanks,
Mike

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.