Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

What anti-virus programs do you use?

by latenight9 / July 27, 2008 6:17 PM PDT

...and do you feel satisfied with it?...why or why not...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What anti-virus programs do you use?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What anti-virus programs do you use?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Avast home.
by Tarq57 / July 27, 2008 7:29 PM PDT

-(satisfied)- Yes, very.
-(why/not)- It's free.
- Updates are frequent and painless.
- The forum is helpful,responses are fast, the helpers are
rather determined. Brilliant support for a free program.
- It has helped keep me malware free. (ie: it works.)
- It's extremely configurable. The pro version even more so.
- "Boot time scan".

Collapse -
Avast home
by mike53_1999 / August 2, 2008 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Avast home.

I have used NORTON 2007 and found that it slows my PC down and its clunky to use.

I now use the free version of AVG (downloaded here at CNET) and found it meet and exceeds my needs, it's easy to use. It works in the back round and auto updates. AVG works great for me.
(And the price is right to)

Collapse -
Norton antivirus
by mohan12e / August 4, 2008 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Avast home

NAV 2008 works well with 32 & 64 bit versions of Vista. No comaptibility issue, also it does'nt slows the system like NAV360 or the earlier versions.

Collapse -
Ridding Avxp2008
by syGoldeneye / August 2, 2008 1:57 AM PDT

I am one of your members who originated the query on Spyware etc.
I found Spy Hunter, $29.95 which painlessly, and quickly, removed the Antivirus XP2008 (Avxp2008). The only reminder is a popup when I turn on my computer telling me to get an anti virus. Regards. Doug Allen

Collapse -
Question about Avast home
by morninglory / August 3, 2008 5:40 AM PDT

I too use Avast home and it does a good job of removing viruses and malware WHEN I scan the computer. My question is why doesn't it catch the bad guys when they first appear? I do a scan weekly but sometimes scan more often when my computer starts acting "goofy". Only then will I discover a virus and/or malware.

Thanks, Betsy

Collapse -
by Ruthie42 / July 28, 2008 6:48 AM PDT

Norton and so far I have had no problems.

Collapse -
Reply - What anti-virus programs do you use?
by mohan12e / August 4, 2008 5:33 AM PDT

NAV2008. Excellent, does'nt slows the system like Norton 360 or like the earlier versions. Also the virus definitions on the norton official site helps a lot.

Collapse -
What anti-virus programs do you use
by indiaforex / January 12, 2010 8:16 PM PST

I use McAfee Anti-Virus software and a firewall w/ the same software. I really like it because it doesn't get in your way while you're trying to do stuff like with Norton Anti-Virus. You also won't get those stupid annoying pop-up things all the time.

Collapse -
What Spyware, anti-virus and security programs do I use?
by rwlnd.masi / July 28, 2008 7:23 AM PDT

I use AVG and McAfee programs. However, almost every time such programs are installed, they are followed by notifications that systems are out of date and need updating!

Collapse -
What Spyware, anti-virus, and security...etc..

I use my C-net newsletter quite often for suggestions and the posts from it's users, ratings as well..this helps me a great deal. Recently added SUPERantispyware, as seen for free on here. Noted many stars..but just paid $30 for another program..I am a ****.(yes I am) as this and our Advanced Windows Care V2(very, very good..also free!!)Hey what can I say..(I am raising a 16 yr old by myself)..every dollar helps..Good luck , cousin?.. also a Rowland in Pa.. not many of us around here..

Collapse -
Reply to Roland
by paul1nz / July 28, 2008 11:43 AM PDT

Two points:

1) You should only be running ONE anti virus program on your computer. Running more than one will likely cause a clash and neither program will protect you.

2) You comment that both programs need constantly updating, this is NORMAL operation. New viruses/Trojans are being created all the time therefore the virus definition base must be constantly updated to ensure you are protected.

I use Avast Free. Dumped AVG when they switched to version 8.

Collapse -
What virus program are you using
by wasagakid / August 3, 2008 7:40 AM PDT

Rowland...I've been using AVG (free version) for years without any problem.

The reason why you keep getting the out of date message is you haven't started the update schedule in the AVG options. Mine is set to update daily

Collapse -
by leosun75 / July 28, 2008 7:29 AM PDT

A weird name but it works very well and uses very few system resources.

Collapse -
Avast Home over NOD32- Hands down
by charles.estus / August 1, 2008 7:58 PM PDT
In reply to: NOD32

My University here in Taiwan uses NOD32 on all its computers and they are more often than not infected with viruses.

Avast Home is a much better protection program, though it uses more system resources.

Collapse -
by LightningRod / July 28, 2008 7:31 AM PDT

Very satisfied

Collapse -
I use AVG free with reservations
by mdwebneck / August 5, 2008 9:57 PM PDT
In reply to: AVG

I used AVG7.5 with no problems at home, but my mom's machine was left unprotected because AVG's auto update did not work.

Also, when i updated to AVG8, it works fine on my slower PIII file/print server machine, but hangs on Windows system files on my P4 3.4G CAD workstation machine, taking > 3 hours without ever finishing the scan.
I even uninstalled it and re-installed it but it still hangs on the default.pif file.

However, I never had much better luck with either McAffee or Norton, with both applications slowing down my machine and going back to when WINXP SP2 was released, it caused such a mess with my Norton license that I had to reinstall WIN XP.

Collapse -
what anti virus programs do you use
by rickets105 / July 28, 2008 7:43 AM PDT

I have been using Norton for years and have never had a virus

Collapse -
what anti virus programs do you use.
by river39 / July 28, 2008 8:21 AM PDT

avg free -- and pc tools firewall plus--- and cos i like it-- pc tools spyware doctor-- for cookies and addware no problams at all and all free via cnet thank you .

Collapse -
by scottkruger / July 28, 2008 8:23 AM PDT

I was recently turned on to AVG free version and liked it so much that I bought the internet security suite from AVG. I had used Norton for years prior to this and had become disappointed with Norton the last year to two. I have been very pleased with the ease of use with AVG!!

Collapse -
I Use Kaspersky Internet Security 2009
by SamdarshXpress / July 28, 2008 8:32 AM PDT

It is really Superb. It has excellent detection, even in case of viruses, it removes them 100%, which neither avast ad avira could do. I have tried all antiviruses that exist till now, just this is among the best.

Collapse -
i Use Kaspersky Internet security 2009
by ice-54 / August 1, 2008 8:56 AM PDT

very satisfied ive tried norton,avg,avast,nod32 and others and so far i think kaspersky is better than all of them (my opinion)

Collapse -
Why I'll never go back to Norton
by GERRY RAINS / July 28, 2008 8:37 AM PDT

I used to use Norton Internet Security, which includes Norton's Anti-Virus program. For months (two or three times a month) I received a message reporting the existence of a virus that had not been deleted. However Norton Anti-Virus scans never picked it up. So the warnings continued. When I started using CCleaner the warning messages stopped for good. After three months I received another warning about an undeleteable (not a real word) virus that Norton couldn't pick up in scan mode. After running CCleaner on leaving the Internet that warning ceased. I now always run CCleaner when I leave the Internet.

However, tired of Norton, I started to use AVG anti-virus anti-spyware. That seems to be the best anti-virus that I have ever used. Granted the scans are slow, but you can change the default settings to cut scan time to 40% of what it was on default. To do that click on AVG, Tools, Advanced AVG Settings, Scans, Scan Whole computer, and move the slide all the way to the right. This dedicates
all computer resources to AVG. It's true that you can't run another program simultaneously but running programs during any AV is infuriating, so why set it up, run the scan and then do something else.

Collapse -
AVG 8.0 + Norton AntiBot + SAS = complete protection
by hex_614 / August 2, 2008 12:57 AM PDT

AVG 8.0 professional = the best anti virus + real time protection

Norton AntiBot 1.1.838 = the best behavioral protection

SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition = the best on demmand anti spyware

AVG + Norton AntiBot + SAS = Fast, Light & Effective (Complete Protection)

Collapse -
by 1949me / July 28, 2008 8:39 AM PDT

I use Spyware Doctor with Anti Virus 6. It has never let me down. I used to use Norton 360 and it crashed my computer all the time. I talked to what they call tech support about 10 times with no results.
The last time they said they would get back to me the next day, that was 3 months ago.

Collapse -
by lobo65 / August 1, 2008 11:55 AM PDT

I use Kaspersky Internet Suite, and am very satisfied. It's not cheap, but it works well thus far.

Collapse -
Which anti virus programs I use
by Fatboy71 / August 1, 2008 5:24 PM PDT

I use Avira free edition anti virus, I use this because it regularly beats in tests most other anti virus programs (including paid for versions). It scans relatively quickly. I would go as far as saying its the best anti virus program I have used.

For spyware etc I use,

Spyware Doctor

Adaware 2008

Spybot Search & Destroy

Collapse -
Which anti-virus do I use?
by Eskiegirl302 / July 28, 2008 9:03 AM PDT

I have tried several Norton, Avast, AVG, but the one I have found which suits all my needs is Comodo. It's free and they have a whole slew of free software to go with the anti-virus. I also use their free firewall, the Bo-clean (for malware) the spam blocker ect. Check it out! It works great.

Collapse -
AVG 8.0 Professional
by hex_614 / July 28, 2008 11:17 PM PDT

so far the best protection i have. with avg 8.0 i feel very safe. no false positive, but sometimes a resource hog. but the protection is solid as rock.

Collapse -
by scivile / July 29, 2008 8:02 PM PDT

Its the best of all time..

Collapse -
by ernielippert / April 17, 2009 12:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Kaspersky

I have used Kaspersky for a year and have renewed for a second year. I feel it is very good with many options plus they are very responsive. Virus updates have been daily.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.