Speakeasy

Rant

What a world.

by JP Bill / December 2, 2012 8:49 PM PST
After Officer Lawrence DePrimo knelt beside a barefoot man on a bitterly cold November night in Times Square, giving him a pair of boots, a photo of his random act of good will quickly took on a life of its own — becoming a symbol for a million acts of kindness that go unnoticed every day and a reminder that even in this tough, often anonymous city, people can still look out for one another.

The $100 pair of boots that Officer DePrimo had bought for him at a Sketchers store on Nov. 14 were nowhere to be seen.

"Those shoes are hidden. They are worth a lot of money," Mr. Hillman said in an interview on Broadway in the 70s. "I could lose my life."

Mr. Hillman, 54, was by turns aggrieved, grateful and taken aback by all the attention that had come his way — even as he struggled to figure out what to do about it.

"I was put on YouTube, I was put on everything without permission. What do I get?" he said. "This went around the world, and I want a piece of the pie."

He can't/won't wear them because they would be stolen, or he doesn't want to damage them so he can sell them on ebay?

Winnipeg bus driver gives homeless man shoes off his feet

So Doubledee decided to act. To the amazement of his passengers, he pulled his bus over to the side of the road, got out and then gave the man the shoes off his feet.

"I didn't get a chance to see if they fit, but I got a big foot so, I'm pretty sure they did," he says.

Then Doubledee jumped back on his bus and started driving again with just his socks on. His passengers were stunned.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What a world.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What a world.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
All over the news today
by Steven Haninger / December 3, 2012 5:54 AM PST
In reply to: What a world.

Reports said he hid them so they wouldn't be stolen from his feet. It could well be that having shoes decreased his daily collection. Even homeless beggars need to dress properly for their work. Of course he may have sold them and could have even bought a cheap pair from a thrift store. Who knows what drives people who live that lifestyle. Not that I fault her but had their been no pictures, youtube and press coverage, this charitable act would have had a better ending. I know you probably think the Bible is full of malarkey but it does admonish us to be private about our giving.

Collapse -
He also said that he didn't give his permission to
by Diana Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 8:46 AM PST

take his picture and put it on the internet and he was a piece of the action (as in money) that they supposedly got from putting it on the internet.

Diana

Collapse -
RE: but it does admonish us to be private about our giving.
by JP Bill / December 3, 2012 11:24 AM PST

Said the man that leaves 20% tips.

Collapse -
What are you getting at with that comment?
by Steven Haninger / December 3, 2012 6:10 PM PST

Do you remember how I expressed that information to you? It was in a way to be as discrete as possible in another conversation. Are you now wanting to use it as ammo? Well, go right ahead and enjoy yourself.

Collapse -
It was in a way to be as discrete as possible
by JP Bill / December 3, 2012 7:03 PM PST

as "discrete as possible" on the internet/WORLD Wide Web?

I guess "in a way" explains everything.

Is this your '"picket sign"?

I know you probably think the Bible is full of malarkey but it does admonish us to be private about our giving.

Collapse -
You made the OP
by Steven Haninger / December 3, 2012 7:29 PM PST

but have yet to make a relevant comment to it. I did so...and in an honest way. Was your purpose to look to criticize those who commented on the article or do you have your own thoughts about it that you'd care to express? Why not give other folks the same opportunities you seem to enjoy grabbing for yourself?

Collapse -
RE; but have yet to make a relevant comment to it.
by JP Bill / December 3, 2012 8:00 PM PST
In reply to: You made the OP
I made a Grumpy Face/Rant Face

What a world

He can't/won't wear them because they would be stolen, or he doesn't want to damage them so he can sell them on ebay?

Grumpy Face = not impressed with

What a world = Takes all kinds to make this planet.

OR as you say (Who knows what drives people who live that lifestyle.)

He can't/won't wear them because they would be stolen, or he doesn't want to damage them so he can sell them on ebay? = Questioning WHY he did it.

OR as you say (Reports said he hid them so they wouldn't be stolen from his feet. It
could well be that having shoes decreased his daily collection. Even
homeless beggars need to dress properly for their work.)

Then I gave another example of "kindness"

Of course "relevance" is in the eye of the beholder.

Why not give other folks the same opportunities you seem to enjoy grabbing for yourself?

I know you probably think the Bible is full of malarkey

What does, what "I probably think of the Bible", have to do with a Cop giving someone a pair of shoes?

Everything may start and end with the Bible with you....it doesn't mean it does with everyone.
Collapse -
actually it does
by James Denison / December 4, 2012 2:06 AM PST

Jesus said, "I am the Alpha and the Omega". It started with Him and will end with Him. What you disbelieve is immaterial to the process.

Collapse -
RE:It started with Him and will end with Him.
by JP Bill / December 4, 2012 4:05 AM PST
In reply to: actually it does

What you disbelieve is immaterial to the process.

"immaterial" yet you have to tell me the way it is?

The way you're talking, it sounds like you think you have something to do with spreading it.

Collapse -
immaterial to the process
by James Denison / December 5, 2012 4:09 AM PST

not to where you end up in regard to it.

Collapse -
(NT) Explanation please, my Decoder ring is broken.
by JP Bill / December 5, 2012 4:28 AM PST
Collapse -
It's like a hurricane coming
by James Denison / December 5, 2012 4:33 AM PST

You don't see it now, but it's coming nevertheless, you can heed the warnings, or can ignore them and suffer the consequences later when it's too late to do anything to save yourself. The process will happen, what part you have in it matters not in that regard, but does as regarding YOUR situation.

Collapse -
If you need a book to tell you whats right and whats wrong,
by JP Bill / December 5, 2012 4:36 AM PST

there IS something wrong.

Collapse -
I agree
by James Denison / December 5, 2012 4:42 AM PST

and the Book is there to help make it right.

Collapse -
Here's a riddle for you
by JP Bill / December 5, 2012 4:44 AM PST

What aren't you doing that you would be doing IF you never heard of the Bible?

What have you read in the Bible that prevented you from doing something or made you do something?

Why wouldn't you have done it "on your own"? How do you know...cause and effect? Have others that don't read/quote the Bible not done/done the same things?

Would you be out killing people?...IF not Why not?

Don't forget...you've never heard of the Bible.

Collapse -
you'd have to ask someone
by James Denison / December 5, 2012 8:23 AM PST

with that condition. Plenty of them in jails around the world.

Collapse -
RE: Plenty of them in jails around the world.
by JP Bill / December 5, 2012 11:04 AM PST
Collapse -
wolves in sheep's clothing
by James Denison / December 5, 2012 12:47 PM PST

Doesn't mean there aren't sheep.

Collapse -
RE: Doesn't mean there aren't sheep.
by JP Bill / December 5, 2012 1:21 PM PST

Young boys And Sheep...no doubt.

Collapse -
Grabbing
by James Denison / December 4, 2012 2:05 AM PST
In reply to: You made the OP

"Why not give other folks the same opportunities you seem to enjoy grabbing for yourself?"

Please, let's not get into him grabbing himself. Devil

Collapse -
RE: Please, let's not get into him grabbing himself.
by JP Bill / December 4, 2012 4:10 AM PST
In reply to: Grabbing

I've read lots of stories of Hierarchy of the Church grabbing others (especially young boys)....I guess THEY would also "grab themselves" .

I wonder if you wish you had a time machine and you could "unpost" the post I'm responding to.

Collapse -
(NT) Are you claiming you are a priest?
by James Denison / December 5, 2012 4:10 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Well I hope you don't think I'm the Pope.
by JP Bill / December 5, 2012 4:27 AM PST
Collapse -
not unless I see
by James Denison / December 5, 2012 4:34 AM PST

...you go by on a skateboard.

Collapse -
I know YOU do see lots of stange articles in the news
by JP Bill / December 5, 2012 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: not unless I see

or your interpretation of those articles...The Pope has a twitter account...so he's further ahead than me, you could see him on a skateboard long before you see me on a skateboard.

Collapse -
I like the one that says
by James Denison / December 4, 2012 2:03 AM PST

"some shall be beaten with a few stripes, and some shall be beaten with many stripes" from the mouth of Jesus about judgement.

Collapse -
(NT) You like more than "one"....
by JP Bill / December 4, 2012 4:25 AM PST
Collapse -
I like the one that says
by bongda99 / December 5, 2012 10:52 PM PST

I've read lots of stories of Hierarchy of the Church grabbing others (especially young boys)....I guess THEY would also "grab themselves" .
rao tin vat

Collapse -
DEFLECTOR SHIELDS UP!!!!!
by JP Bill / December 5, 2012 11:03 PM PST

Obfuscate (v): To make so confused or opaque as to be difficult to perceive or understand

Collapse -
Sell them on Ebay?
by Josh K / December 4, 2012 5:29 AM PST
In reply to: What a world.

How many homeless Ebay users do you think there are, particularly since most Ebay purchases require payment by credit card or PayPal account?

The man, it turns out, is homeless by choice. He gets various benefits, among them a program called Section 8 that provides housing for the indigent, but he chooses to live on the streets instead. He needs more help than a pair of sneakers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.