HDTV Picture Setting forum

General discussion

Westinghouse LD-425 Picture Settings?

by blinn2012 / April 17, 2011 7:17 AM PDT

Does anyone have recommended picture settings for the Westinghouse LD-425 or LD-465 series? I specifically have the LD-4255VX model. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Westinghouse LD-425 Picture Settings?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Westinghouse LD-425 Picture Settings?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
use a test pattern
by schmanthony / June 14, 2011 2:19 AM PDT

I bought this TV just yesterday, and actually I was shocked at how far off all of the default picture settings were from ideal.

The key to tuning the picture on any display is to get a good test pattern (sometimes called a "pluge" pattern) and display it as a still image on the screen using the highest quality connection available to you. In your case this is probably the HDMI connector. I did this on mine with my PS3 using its built-in Internet browser. I simply found the pattern I liked using Google images and displayed it on the screen. Another method would be burn a CD or a DVD with the test pattern(s) - many DVD players will present you with an image browser if they detect a data CD that has images on it.

A good test pattern has a band of squares or rectangles going from black to white. The more segments the better, generally. This black-to-white pattern will be used for your most important adjustment involving good old brightness and contrast.

Here is the test pattern I used:
http://www.rajib.com/wp-content/uploads/Test-02.jpg

1. Starting with the brightness somewhat high, lower it step-by-step watching any 100% black part of the screen. When you notice that your click didn't change the shade of 100% black, raise it back 1 step.

2. Starting with the contrast somewhat low, raise it step-by-step watching any 100% white part of the screen. When you notice that your click didn't change the shade of 100% white, lower it back 1 step.

3. Now make small tweaks to brightness and contrast, going back and forth as needed. Your goal for this step is to make sure that every single rectangle in your test pattern is visible, with your black still being as dark as you can get it and your white still being as bright as you can get it.

I would advise setting "sharpness" to 0. Job done for this one. I'll save text by not explaining why - generally for HDTVs sharpness is just bad... and is more or less a hold-over from the old CRT days to make people who don't know how to tune a TV picture comfortable with familiar controls.

For saturation, display an image on the screen with a lot of natural color in it. It's especially good to use an image of a person's face with flesh tones. Just set the saturation to whatever looks natural. Fight the urge to put more color in the image than is needed... sometimes we want to do this to get "more" out of the picture or to make vivid but artificial colors. Go for natural.

For the red, green, and blue levels, use a test pattern similar to the one used for our brightness/contrast adjustment, but with bands of red, green, and blue. Like this image: http://www.rajib.com/wp-content/uploads/Test-01.jpg

Adjust the RGB values now for each of the 3 bands in exactly the same way we did this as for contrast. Again, you want to see each rectangle of color distinctly. Also pay attention to how this is affecting the black-white band. It may not be possible to get every square in the pattern to be visible, but that's what you're going for.

There, now you're an expert at tuning HDTVs. You could probably go to door-to-door now and charge $100 a pop for this service. Happy

Collapse -
Here are some settings which may work for you.
by iamphatboy / January 29, 2012 8:07 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.