Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

WEP Network security Key (how do I display the characters)

by sescadman / May 2, 2010 12:29 AM PDT

I just bought a new laptop and, go figure one of the very first things I do not have written down is the wireless network security key.
I have WEP in the setting in windows XP.
How can I VIEW my key?
I have a dsl router, a wireless printer, and I dont want to reconfigure everything from scratch.

HELP

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WEP Network security Key (how do I display the characters)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WEP Network security Key (how do I display the characters)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well

Well, worst case, WEP is EXTREMELY easy to crack. You should be able to download a program that can sniff the network and break the password in a couple of minutes if all else fails.

If you have any control at all over the encryption scheme, make the move to WPA, or even better WPA2. At least those take a little more than trivial effort to crack.

Collapse -
sounds very techie
by sescadman / May 2, 2010 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Well

Is there not some way on my system to view what i have entered as my Key?
Example: Start, Run, CMD
Something like that perhaps to locate my entry????

Steve

Collapse -
Actually, that's first set up in your router
by Steven Haninger / May 2, 2010 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: sounds very techie

and not your PC. You might check for a clear text passphrase in your router's security settings. Typically these will be either 13 or 26 characters...or so I recall. If you cannot read the passphrase in the router, setting up WPA/WPA2 is a good idea and not all that difficult as long as all of your hardware supports it.

Collapse -
I agree
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 2, 2010 5:14 AM PDT

When I set up my first wireless network through a wireless router, I did this via the router set up page.

Typically, depending which router you are using, this is accessed via your web browser. For example, with my Netgear router I have to access the router setup pages by typing in 192.168.1.1 into the browser address bar, and hitting Enter.

Unless you have already changed the login details, the default is usually something like Admin/Password. I changed the password immediately from that, although I could not change the login name from Admin.

Once you're into your router setup pages, you can check the wireless settings there.

Mark

Collapse -
If that sounds techie
by Jimmy Greystone / May 2, 2010 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: sounds very techie

If that sounds techie, then you should probably pay someone to do this for you. And like I said, if you have control over the encryption scheme being used, and you're not just trying to connect to say an apartment complex wifi connection, this is an EXCELLENT opportunity to convert everything to WPA or WPA2, so that someone can't break into your network with trivial amounts of time and effort.

Collapse -
If you forgot the key in your router ...

use your router management console to define a new one and use that from now on.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.