Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Well, the Republicans have their plan now.

by Diana Forum moderator / December 4, 2012 9:19 AM PST

They want to keep the tax rate the same for the top two percent and reduced deductions. Also Medicare age would go up and the COLA for Social Security would go down.

I bet they are going to reduce their pay increases that are automatic or their health insurance.

I refuse to take them seriously until they take some of the "pain" themselves as well.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Well, the Republicans have their plan now.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Well, the Republicans have their plan now.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And yet
by TONI H / December 4, 2012 11:33 AM PST

you don't have a problem taking BO seriously when he offered no cuts, asked for more stimulus money, and dictatorship authority over the national debt ceiling?

Collapse -
He did offer cuts and a minor amount of
by Diana Forum moderator / December 5, 2012 7:35 PM PST
In reply to: And yet

stimulous money and we are the only country in the world with a debt ceiling.

Notice that you didn't say anything about cuts in Social Security. Both have the same cuts in Medicare through cracking down on fraud and letting it dicker about prescription costs.

Collapse -
News story on TV last night about food stamp fraud
by Steven Haninger / December 5, 2012 7:46 PM PST

Anyone can look it up but it seems that the cards can be swapped for other than food items and then reported as lost or stolen and can be replaced. The report said that some cards have been reported as lost 10 or more times. The cost to taxpayers is in the 100s of millions but I'm wondering if paying for investigation and prosecution of abusers wouldn't be more than that which is lost through fraud. I'll not link this as these stories are readily available for verification.

Collapse -
(NT) And your point is ???
by Ziks511 / December 6, 2012 9:12 AM PST
Collapse -
The point is that, as we focus on tax savings, we begin
by Steven Haninger / December 6, 2012 9:49 AM PST
In reply to: And your point is ???

to hear more and more stories about fraud that's costing us plenty. There are calls to fix this issue. It seems that little effort is ever given to finding ways to fight fraud. As I questioned, maybe it's more expensive to fix than to allow it to remain broken. It's easier to save money by sending out smaller checks than it is to validate who's entitled to them. In regard to taxes and revenue, we use the same philosophy. It's easier to raise tax rates than to go after cheaters and fix the tax code to make sure deductions are warranted. We do what's expedient rather than what is proper.

Collapse -
The same thinking applies to lawsuits
by TONI H / December 6, 2012 4:55 PM PST

It is easier and less expensive to just settle and have a problem go away than face bad publicity and lengthy court battles. I believe that's the belief that BO's administration has been using against States that they have brought battles to.......I think they believed that the States could ill-afford the battle through the court systems and would just 'settle on/accept BO's plan and directive' and not spend their budget money on fighting him.

Collapse -
because of shortfalls
by Roger NC / December 5, 2012 11:12 AM PST

my statelegislature is planning to cutting unemployment payout maximum by about 25%, and reducing the lenght of time eligible from 26 yo 20 weeks. Not sure if it's passed or not, or when it will take effect.

But the part time legislaturers are also suppose to get a raise next session as I recall.

Collapse -
Can a time be far off when the Republicans mandate a 9mm
by Ziks511 / December 6, 2012 9:10 AM PST

bullet to the brain of every 60 year old in the bottom 95%. It's a great idea, making room for new entrants into the workforce at a low wage, freeing up all that Social Security money for themselves to hand out to their friends. Cuts down on Health Care expenditures too. The top 5% have already paid for their private pension or will have at 65, so they get to live.

The US is so 19th Century, so addicted to Darwinian capitalism. From the outside it looks and sounds like a huge dog-fight in a pound with only a perimeter fence, a confused mass of struggling bodies and the constant noise of savagery going on. But that's just a metaphor guys.

Collapse -
what an odious comment based on nothing more
by James Denison / December 6, 2012 11:51 PM PST

than your personal and hateful bias.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.