Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Speakeasy

General discussion

well microsoft may have finally suceeded in running me away

by Roger NC / April 8, 2013 / 8:49 PM UTC

Just went looking for new office software, and it looks like it's to cost me hundred bucks a year subscription or $10 a month, and sounds a bit like all online with the all your devices (laptop, pad, phone) sync continuously etc.

I want to work offline as much as on with office products.

I may be mistaken, not up to really searching right now. I've got an Office 200? around here somewhere, guess I'll see if it will run on this Windows 7 laptop. I know I have Office 97, wonder if it'll run on windows 7?

I played with open office once, Microsoft may have finally drove me somewhere else. Sadly (NOT really) I guess this means work can't be emailed home anymore.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: well microsoft may have finally suceeded in running me away
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: well microsoft may have finally suceeded in running me away
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Older windows software
by James Denison / April 8, 2013 / 10:11 PM UTC

I've had several older softwares when I was running Vista for awhile that didn't want to install, but if you right clk on the setup or install file and then choose compatibility mode for that older software, the entire program will install as compatible and usually run fine anyway. If you get a message that "this software wasnt' intended for this version of windows" then do compatible mode directly on that setup or install and it will ignore the newer windows version and install anyway.

Collapse -
here;s the newest libreoffice
by itsdigger / April 8, 2013 / 10:30 PM UTC
Collapse -
I remember using that
by James Denison / April 9, 2013 / 8:59 AM UTC

back when it was called Star Office. I think I still have a version 5.2 disc of that around here somewhere. Then Sun Microsystem bought it out, and then I think it was Oracle which took it over from them, or maybe it branched between Oracle and Linux. LibreOffice.

Roger, you can download a Live CD of a Linux version with it, I'd suggest Kubuntu 12.10 as best for newbies from Windows users. Some google screenshots, some from personal modification though. If you prefer the Ubuntu, then you might prefer instead to get the earlier version 12.04 which is an LTS (long term service). Or an earlier version not using the Unity interface and more windows user friendly would be the version 10, here's some screen shots of it.
A google collection of version 10.04, which is still under LTS for awhile this year.

Either of them have LibreOffice which will work directly from the Live CD. Download the ISO image and burn to a CD, or if there's a fuller DVD version then can burn the ISO to a DVD.

Alternately, you can order a cheap CD, which is what I prefer to do for the DVD versions.

What I do when using it is to boot to the Live CD, do what's wanted in the OfficeLibre suite, then mount one of my windows drives and save the file to it. You can't save it to the Live CD or Live DVD.

You can install to a flash drive and boot from that and also save to it, just like it was a standard hard drive. I use those cheap kingston 8-16 GB DTSE9 USB drives which fit on my keychain, even smaller than most of my keys. They aren't fast, on install runs about 3MBs, boots faster, but reads up to 15-20 MBs (depends on file number and sizes) and once programs are loaded into RAM, everything runs at faster system speed anyway.

Here are screen shots of LibreOffice as displayed in various Linux distros, so colors may vary some between similar images. As you can see, it's come a long way from earlier Free Office versions.

Collapse -
It works great
by itsdigger / April 9, 2013 / 8:43 PM UTC
In reply to: I remember using that

running in Windows 7 too. No need to download Linux although I use it with both.

Collapse -
There was some stir at TechRepublic about
by drpruner / April 9, 2013 / 5:55 PM UTC

the horrendous install proof requirements, but I think MS backed off. Is that what you mean?
My wife got a "student version" of Office 2000 in college, which was not crippled in any way. We've been using it ever since- on top of Xp. All the updates are still on MS servers,.

Collapse -
I mean when I went to the web to check on buying
by Roger NC / April 9, 2013 / 6:33 PM UTC

Office, what I was referred to at MS web page was home 365 or something like that.

It was for up to 5 devices (computer, tablet) but cost $99 per year subscription or $10 a month subscription, and some over th cloud sync feature between all your stuff etc.

It may have been just one option, but that is what they were pushing.

I meant to look more today, but been out in the yard uprooting boxwoods and removing them. It was 84 today here too. Nice actually, but a big change from the 55's a week ago.

When I get back to work, I intend to look into it there. In the past, employees got a bit better price than retail.

Collapse -
I wasn't thinking about 365. Now that I see your
by drpruner / April 16, 2013 / 1:50 PM UTC

description I'll think about it even less. Happy
I'm guessing some corporations will get their money's worth out of it, and the subscription should be a business deduction for them.

Collapse -
Office 2003 & later are supported w/Win 7 & 8
by wpgwpg / April 16, 2013 / 2:00 PM UTC

When I originally started with Windows 7 about 4 years ago, I got errors trying to install the 2002 (XP) version of Office, but the 2003 version installed & worked just fine without having to use compatibility mode. I never tried to get the older versions to work because I had 2003. I'm currently using Office 2007, but I know first hand that 2003 and later work fine. I tested the 2010 version with no problems, but the computers I support still use Office 2007, so that's what I use at home. As others have pointed out, LibreOffice is a pretty good substitute if desired, and it's 100% free.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
PS, I've got an old office somewhere
by Roger NC / April 9, 2013 / 6:38 PM UTC

actually got at least two. I've just got to find them. I think the license allows install on three machines, and the last one we got was never install on anything but my wife's computer. The old (now defunt) laptop and my old desktop still had office 97 on them.

I think the newer one I can't find right now is 2003.

BTW, they've upgrades some but not all the machines at work. Some of the new Excel features as far as I'm concerned cause more problems than good, esp when someone in the office makes up a chart etc and emails it out since most of the non main office machines are still a version behind and sometimes the transition hacks up the formating arrangement etc.

Collapse -
I've been using Vista since I bought my Laptop 4 years ago.
by Ziks511 / April 16, 2013 / 5:42 PM UTC

Vista was installed by the Retailers. I have the original Microsoft disc in its retail case,

Now I have a cute little graphic in the bottom right corner just above the clock and date which specifies the Version of Vista and says that it is "not genuine". How nice. Some years ago, my DVD drive stopped being recognized by the computer. I haven't bothered to get it fixed, but I may have to now.

Rob

Collapse -
Ever tried
by James Denison / April 16, 2013 / 8:46 PM UTC

booting from a linux distro live CD or DVD? Or even a USB flash drive version? Different flavors for all, but I prefer Kubuntu and Mint versions. If the Live DVD won't boot or work from the DVD drive, then maybe the drive itself needs replacing. The Mint version comes with Firefox and Thunderbird already loaded into the operating system. Kubuntu is sort of slow on the boot, but runs fast enough once it's going. I install mine to flash drives so I can have "persistence" for changes made, but a "Live CD" or DVD is the safest against corruption. Everytime it's shut down, it boots back up the same as before, even if hit by a virus since it's a "read only" on the disc which can't be changed. Any files however you want to keep before shutting down have to go onto a hard drive or flash drive. You also can't permanently change the settings on a "Live CD" read only system, so things like screen resolution, or larger fonts have to be done each new time you boot up the system, and it will stay that way till it's shutdown.

Collapse -
Vista --- {shudder}
by Josh K / April 17, 2013 / 10:37 AM UTC

My mother has it and I have lost count of the number of times I've wanted to hurl her computer out a window. My work laptop has Windows 7 on it, and while it isn't that different than Vista visually, it comes with a lot fewer headaches.

Collapse -
There are some things
by James Denison / April 17, 2013 / 11:13 AM UTC
In reply to: Vista --- {shudder}

you can turn off in Vista, like those continual question boxes. "Are you completely, unequivocably, and ABSOLUTELY sure, you want to do something as extremely easy and safe as what you were about to do till this message popped up?!!! "

Collapse -
set the computer as a "laptop"
by James Denison / April 24, 2013 / 2:45 AM UTC

That allows fewer things needing checked to be considered "genuine" by Microsoft. Change it in the power settings. That may not solve your current problem, but something to keep in mind for future.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions
icon
Tablets 1,149 discussions
icon
Security 28,606 discussions
icon
Home Audio and Video 18,995 discussions
icon