Cameras forum

General discussion

Well, Joe, I did it!

by taboma / April 1, 2008 4:07 PM PDT

Well, I bought a Nikon D300 from ebay.

I could not pass it up on ebay. NEW. Original and never opened.
Cost was $2,199. I thought that it was a bargain.

The company is
I hope I have made a wise choice.
I am not absolutely sure if this is a good deal or what.
All lenses are Nikor.

I think the lenses are something that I can learn on during the summer months before heading off to Germany for 12 days of vacation in September.
I can always save up for a Nikor AF-S70-200 F.2.8 VR next year that Jump and others recommended. $1,795.

What do you think concerning my purchase? Deal or no deal?
Here is the list of the order:
Order Information
1 - Nikon D300 Digital SLR Camera
1 - Nikon Battery Charger - Included in Manufacturer Box
1 - Nikon SLR Wide Strap - Included in Manufacturer Box
1 - Nikon TV/Video Cable - Included in Manufacturer Box
1 - 2 Nikon CDs - Included in Manufacturer Box
1 - Nikon USB Cable - Included in Manufacturer Box
1 - Nikon AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II Lens
1 - Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Zoom-Nikkor Lens
1 - Nikon 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor AF Lens
1 - 52mm High Definition PRO Wide Angle Lens w/ Macro Lens attachment
1 - 52mm High Definition 2X Telephoto Lens
1 - 52mm UV Digital Filter
1 - 52mm UV Digital Filter
1 - 62mm UV Digital Filter
1 - Deluxe Case for Digital SLR Camera
1 - Deluxe Large Photo Tripod
1 - flexible table top tripod
1 - Digital SLR cameras Auto Power Flash - FREE GIFT
1 - Screen Protectors and Lens Cleaning Kit
1 - Lens Cap Keeper
1 - USB 2.0 Compact Flash Card Reader
1 - 4GB Compact Flash (CF) High Speed 133x Memory Card

Subtotal: $2149.00
Tax: $0.00
Total: $2149.00

I also want to try out my AF 35-70mm f1.3-4.5 lens also.
Wide angle screw-on lens will be good with this favorite Nikor lens!
Never had wide angle there to begin with. Super lens and my favorite to try out on the D300.
Will that work for me? My lens is auto focus.

Oh my God, here comes the learning curve!! And I hate to read manuals. Who has a G300 here on the Digital Forum that can help me?
I think I will need some help at some time in the months ahead learning the D300. WHAT A CAMERA!! What a challenge for me to learn in the months ahead.

My first choice will be table-top photo shoot with a tripod. I want to produce a poster in order to sell a collector?s pocket and other knives. This will be close-up photography. I hope that I can get my lighting down and correct.
I will send you the photo files. We can comment on them later.

My wife told me I had better turn professional.
I do have professional experience with art directing photo shoots and lighting. My own photography also.

My wife said to me: You had better turn PRO!

Wish me luck in divorce court. :

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Well, Joe, I did it!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Well, Joe, I did it!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 2, 2008 1:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Well, Joe, I did it!

It looks like you got a good price on your purchase.

I did a little checking on that company and they appear to have a very good reputation.
I ran across something that made me think that they are located in New York City.
They could be affiliated with one of the big cameras stores there.
Did you get a physical address?

Don't try to sit down and read the whole camera manual.
You will have plenty of time to discover the many features available.
It may take a year or two.
Put the camera in Auto and start taking some pictures.
Then analyze the results by looking for the good and bad points.

Collapse -
by taboma / April 2, 2008 5:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Great

Joe, I probaly will just shoot from auto at first.
I could not pass it up on the great price.
Probably will take me two years to learn the manual as you mentioned.
Good Lord! I hate manuals of all kinds.

Anyways, I have a good camera at a decent price.
I do not have an actual physical address yet. Brooklyn, NY.
The owner wanted me to varify my ebay purchase before shipping the kit to me. That was nice and secure of them.
I called them up to varify. They told me good luck with the the D300.
Looks like a good deal from ebay and this company called

I will let you know shortly.
This Septmber I am taking a 12 day tour of Germany. I hope to take
some good photos. Before that I will experiment with the D300.
Lots to learn with this new Nikon digital camera. Holy moly!
I also have to get usesd to all the lenses. WOW!
Wish my luck.

Collapse -
Gititdigital address
by taboma / April 10, 2008 4:38 PM PDT
In reply to: D300

Joe, here is their address:
1002 Quentin Rd. STE #3006 Brooklyn, NY 11223
Phone: 1-877-528-4432

The owners name is Eric.
Seems to be concerned that I an satisfied with my purchase and everything will be guaranteed by him. We have sent emails back and forth to each othe plus telephone conversations. Positive feeling for me. Seems to be a new start-up company with ebay sales and a power seller with many good comments on his sales. They want repeat business and word-of-mouth good will. Seems to be bending over backwards towards me.
Do not let this influence anyone here on the Forum. This is my personal feeling and I think it is better than dealing with the Broadway JOE'S rip-off scemes and idiots that are out there still.
Check out their offerings on ebay. Good prices and interesting merchandise. You are on your own.

Wish me luck on the Nikon D300. I wish you were my next door neighbor to teach me. Want to go photo shoot with me in Germany this Fall?
Octoberfest!! I will buy you a few beers. Just bring a few lens cleaning wipes if we spill the beer. :

Collapse -
And so... did you get the camera with a USA Warranty?
by davidscubadiver / April 26, 2008 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Gititdigital address

The prices really do seem too good to be true and I am wondering whether you ever received your camera, in a sealed box and with a UsA Nikon warranty. Let us know!

Collapse -
by taboma / April 26, 2008 3:19 PM PDT

Yes I do have my USA Warranty cards for the Nikon D300 and Nikor 35mm F1.8 Lens.
I do not have a warranty card for the Nikor 18-55mm nor the Nikor 70-300mm lens in the packaging. The supplier indicated that both had the warranty card enclosed. I will check back with Getitdigital this monday morning and get them.
I certainly will let you know ASAP Monday PM.
The D300 has a one year warranty and the Nikor lenses have a five year warranty.
By the way, Nikon does not shrink wrap or seal their packaging.
I checked with a Ritz camera store and their packaging from Nikon. Same as what I received. The lenses are in a plastic bag sleeve only and the exterior of the box is not shrink wrapped or sealed at all.
Same goes for the D300 camera. All of the Nikon and Nikor products are that way. Wonder why no shrink wrap? One would expect that.

Collapse -
by taboma / April 29, 2008 6:10 PM PDT

I was in contact with Getitdigital (ebay sales with 100% customer satisfaction and is a power seller) and they are sending out new Nikkor lenses to me with the Nikkor warranty cards instead of just sending me the Nikkor 5-year warranty cards. How about that! WOW!!

I guess that we have found a good seller that stands behind his word.
Hard to find these days with all those Broadway Joe's in operation.

My Nikon D300 has a one year warranty as well as the Nikor 5-year warranty on the 50mm F1.8 Lens (which is super sharp and does not have much glass with the lens)

All the Nikon Boxes are not sealed nor are their Nikkor lenses shrink wrapped.
I went to a RITZ Camera store to check out their merchandise and questioned a nice salesman. He showed me brand new unopened D300 and Nikkor lenses in their boxes.
The salesman told me to try night shots with f22 using a tripod and long exposures with the 50mm. He told me that the Nikkor 50mm are unbelievable. Super sharp. The 50mm F1.4 costs $180 and the 50mm f1.8 costs $130. Both good lenses.
All the Nikkor lenses inside are in a plastic opened bag. Nothing is sealed. Hard to believe, yet true. Wonder why Nikon does not seal their packaging! No Mica packs either that they used to use years ago to guard against moisture. Newer thinking?

So, with the new shipping of two new Nikor lenses and 5-year warranty cards as replacements, I guess we finally have a trustworthy seller on ebay.
Hard to believe, yet true.
The owner is bending over backwards to me and sends me emails to make sure that I am happy with my purchase. How often does that happen? Hardly ever!
Their prices are good. So it looks like I am a happy camper and will start to shoot with my new Nikon D300 shortly.
I want to shoot close ups of my daylily flowers first in RAW format.
My garden blooms starting in June. That should give me a good test on how everthing is working with the Nikon D300.
I had a nice Nikon Film Camera:6006 that was outstanding.
Now I am looking forward to the D300.

And you!?

Collapse -
Another happy customer
by jadku-padku / May 21, 2008 11:35 AM PDT

Until today, I have refrained from buying from any Brooklyn, NY shop. These guys were complete exception. The price was right. Service was excellent. I needed to make changes to my order before it was shipped. They were prompt, courteous and were pleasure to do business. Were not aggressive in pitching add on products. The shipment arrived as promised.

I ordered two Nikon D80 + 18-200mm lens (one for a friend). Price was the best I could get on the Internet and several hundred $ less than local discount store.

Collapse -
Another happy customer
by taboma / May 24, 2008 3:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Another happy customer

jadku-padku, glad you liked
I am happy with my purchase also.
Give Eric a call any time. And I have nothing to do with that business except to wish them good luck.

Check out the Blue Crane DVD Video tutorial that is available for your new Nikon D80 camera.
Sure beats reading 400 pages of a manual. I hate manuals.
About $20 on the internet and from getitdigital, Adorama, H&S also.
Great reviews for the Blue Crane DVD videos. Canon also.

One of our members posted after viewing the two hour video, that he viewed it again holding his camera to follow it again.
I plan on doing the same. Maybe a few times! :

Collapse -
by giorgoc / February 24, 2009 10:58 PM PST

Hi Kevin,

I am about to place an order for a similar package from getitdigital.

Do you recommend them ? Happy

Thank you,

Collapse -
by Okinawa-Japan / February 25, 2009 4:14 PM PST
In reply to: getitdigital

Collapse -
I was not so lucky, I received a Grey market camera...
by samlogan1958 / June 30, 2009 9:14 AM PDT

I recently bought one at getitdigital on ebay based on some of your posts. I was very dissapointed! Getitdigital advertised it as a USA camera, What they sent me was a camera with European plugs, as well as some fake USA Warranty. Getitdigital then told me I had to pay a 3% shipping insurance, close to $50.00. I called Nikon who told me that companies like Getitdigital are like companies like Broadway Photo, there a scam, that they received a lot of complaints from customers that getitdigital is selling Grey Market Cameras and passing it off as if its USA cameras. When I called getitdigital to return it, the customer service represantive said that they would allow me to return it if I gave him a positive feedback on ebay, he forced me to do it and that is why I am writing this post to vent my frustration and let all of you know how dissapointed I was with the purchase.

Post 12 of 13 | Back to top

Collapse -
get it digital
by bbcav / July 1, 2009 8:24 AM PDT

Yesterday I purchased the D90 kit with 2 Nikon/Nikkor vibration reduction lenses,telephoto, wide angle, macro lenses & a whole boatload of extras. The kit was $1399. They called to confirm the order & I spoke with Roy. He could'nt be more gracious & knowledgeable with answering my questions & concerns. I flat out told him about some of the reviews I had read about the grey area cameras. He did explain them to me & told mine was a USA model with a USA warranty. I did buy the extended warranty because I am going to Belize in August. You have REALLY made me nervous!!!!!!!!!!! They express shipped it to me for free so when I get it, how will I know it is a grey camera??? I am so glad I found this website!

Collapse -
Get it digital Grey market "how do I know"
by samlogan1958 / July 2, 2009 8:28 AM PDT
In reply to: get it digital

You can do what I did, call Nikon, 800-645-6678. Read the product # on the back of your camera, or the serial #, and ask them if what your buying is a USA camera or a Grey camera (BTW the colors are the same) As them if you can take send it for service to Nikon in the US. If they say yes then your in good shape. Maybe you will be. My advice from here on in Trust but verify, when I verified, I came up with a grey market camera from getitdigital. I dont doubt that the experiences of others was positive, I was unlucky. Let me know what happens, and have a great time in Belize!

Collapse -
Im about to purchase
by esantella / December 19, 2009 12:57 PM PST

I have been reading lots and lots of sites on this particular supplier and 95% of the reviews are positive, but i have a doubtful feeling.. I want to buy the following camera: listed as a pretty good deal:
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Camera Body +2 IS: 28-135, 70-300 +3 Lens +32GB for $3399.99 plus $232.00 of express shipping.. so any suggestions are welcome. Anyone ever bought from

Collapse -
by jump1127 / December 20, 2009 2:12 PM PST

I just moved to new Nikon D3S and soon head to Jordan. I'll show you the pictures when I come back to Thailand. So far, so good.

Collapse - (Get it Digital) are scammers.
by Larcin78 / June 9, 2011 4:56 AM PDT

I recently took a chance buying a packaged Nikon Camera deal from The package I was wanting to order stated the Camera was a New USA model. The first camera I received was from Japan. This is a problem you can not get a camera serviced in the States that is from Japan. The first indication something was wrong was I noticed the Registration card was missing. I have had Nikon products before and they always have a registration card that has the camera's serial number printed on the card. I checked the serial number with some online ranges and found it was from Japan. I called Nikon USA and they told me the Camera's Serial number was not in their Database and the foirst 2 numbers were not for US cameras. They confirmed it was a grey market camera. I also receive a lens from Japan.I called Manny from Getifdigital and he told me it was was sent in error and he would return the original for a USA one. So I sent back the camera and received the second camera. Guess what the registration card is missing and Nikon can not find this serial number in their database. I will have to have it sent in to be confirmed. If this was a US cam why was the registration card missing again. Also the warranties they sell are 3rd party and they do not completely cover the full value of the camera.Getitdigital is more trouble than they are worth. Save yourself some time and frustration and do not order from them. Buyer beware!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.