Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

WELCOME to the Windows XP Forum. Please read this message:

by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 16, 2007 5:42 AM PDT

Hi there. This is a "Sticky" message. It will remain as the first discussion in the XP Forum discussion listing.

If you are new to this forum, please grab your favorite drink, pull up a chair and put your feet up, and take the time to read on. You may find some of the information useful. If you are a regular visitor, you are allowed to do the same...

As the forum name suggests, this forum is for people who are having problems with their Windows XP Operating System, (OS). If your OS is not Windows XP, please return to the CNET Forums listing page, and find the forum that helps with your OS.

Otherwise, getting started using this forum is quite painless! Just follow the easy steps below to start receiving the help you need:

Step 1: Before posting, use CNET's Forum Search located at the top of any CNET forum page. Chances are... your question may have already been discussed.

Step 2: Let us understand your needs. Kindly update your Profile and add your system configuration, in the Forum preferences, Edit your profile section. You can change the way you view the forum messages in Forum preferences too whilst you are there.

Step 3: Navigate by reading the FAQ and Forum Policies before posting. These pages cover what every member should know in using the message boards.

Step 4: Please create your own topic instead of hijacking a topic created by another member.

Step 5: Read this welcome message often as we will be adding to this thread messages about common problems, utilities that may be useful, and other things, as time goes on.

Please remember, be nice. All the members in these forums are volunteers, and they help out in their own time.

If any CNET member has a topic, utility, procedure, or any other suggestion that they think might be helpful if it was made sticky in this thread, please make a new discussion and let us know what you are thinking. If you prefer, please let us Moderators know by emailing one of us through our profile email option.

Good luck, and Start Posting. Happy

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove link on 04/16/2013 at 1:44 PM PT

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WELCOME to the Windows XP Forum. Please read this message:
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WELCOME to the Windows XP Forum. Please read this message:
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Replying to posts
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 20, 2007 9:15 PM PDT

I often see new members post a question and get a reply. They then want to comment on, or reply to, that reply but instead return to their original post and reply to that.

Initial post
....First reply
Comment to, or reply to, first reply.

It helps if you keep your reply or comment to that reply. eg;

Initial post
....First reply
........Your comment/reply to first reply.

If you view these discussions in "Threaded view", or in "Flat view", change your view to "Tree view" to see what I mean. You can always change back if you wish.

I hope this makes sense.

Collapse -
How to repair your XP installation - Updated!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2007 9:36 PM PDT

How to repair your XP installation - Updated by TE7 - 4/28/07 10:12 PM

If you ever get to the point where you choose to, have to, or need to, repair your XP installation (maybe Windows is behaving strangely, or certain system functions aren't performing correctly, or maybe not at all), then the following information could help you, because there could be unknown obstacles.

As a note, repairing your Windows installation preserves all of your programs, settings, folders, and My Documents, as opposed to formatting your hard drive for a clean install (formatting your hard drive and re-installing).

The problem is that to repair your Windows Installation, your XP CD needs to be the same, or newer, SERVICE PACK (SP1 or SP2) as your Windows installation. If, for example, your XP CD is just plain XP, or XP SP1, and your installation is SP2 (you've updated to SP2 after your initial installation), then when you try to repair your installation (by booting from the CD and choosing to REPAIR YOUR WINDOWS INSTALLATION), it won't let you. It will say that your Windows installation is newer than the CD version, and you can't proceed.

If this is the case, then you can still repair your installation with the following steps:

1) I suggest uninstalling Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Media Player 10 or 11, if you have them (Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs). The reason is that when you re-install XP, it re-installs Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player to their original versions (whichever is on the CD), and the repair gets confused with the updated versions already installed on your system. Remember, this is a repair, not a clean install of XP. You can update these programs later once your repair of XP is done. I did a repair on my system where these newer programs provided problems for me.

Also, if you use the MSN browser, it's best to uninstall MSN (Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs) before your repair for the same reason. You can re-install later. I recommend having an MSN CD handy for that purpose. If, not the repair process re-installs MSN, which you can later update to the newest version online. Note: the MSN version on your XP CD will let you go online, and you will be able to access your email, but not your MSN Explorer settings until you go the Member Center and update to the newest version of MSN (version 9.5, which can also be ordered on CD, through the Member Center).

Here's the link for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP SP2:

Here's the link for Windows Media Player 11:

2) Uninstall SP2 (Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs). Again, if you have an XP SP2 CD, you don't have to do this. If Add/Remove programs doesn't work, there are other ways to remove SP2. Here's the link to a Microsoft page explaining how to do them:

3) Put your XP CD in your CD drive and boot from it.

4) Choose to REPAIR YOUR WINDOWS INSTALLATION (all of your programs, settings, folders, and My Documents will be preserved).

5) Once your repair is done, if you have Automatic Updates enabled (Control Panel/Security Center), then once you're connected to the Internet, then SP2 will download automatically. This is OK for high speed Internet access (because the SP2 download is over 100 MB in size). You can also order the SP2 CD from Microsoft, and install the CD prior to connecting to the Internet. Here's the link:

6) If you have dial-up, and decide to download SP2 (not advisable with dial-up), then it is recommended to set Automatic Updates to Notify only. Then once your online, and willing to dedicate your PC for several hours of download (assuming you don't have toll charges on your dial-up account), you can go to the Windows Update site, and initiate the SP2 download (just by doing Windows Update). The link for Windows Update is below (you should bookmark this link):

7) Once you've updated to SP2, then go to Windows Update again to download all of the updates since SP2. Since some updates superceede others, you should go to Windows Update 2 or 3 times to make sure you get all of the updates. If your updates are set Notify Only, then Microsoft will notify you when updates need to be downloaded. An icon will appear in the notification area in the bottom right of the XP screen. When you you see the icon, just go to the bookmark you made above and do Windows Update. Then you're done with XP. I recommend setting Automatic Updates to Notify only for all home users, both the high speed and dial-up users. It let's you control when you want to update your XP installation.

Cool If you have other Microsoft products that you will install, then once they're installed, then go to the Windows Update site, and install Microsoft Update. Then once online, you can choose Microsoft update from your Start Menu/All Programs. The Microsoft Update site will update XP as well as your other Microsoft products, if you want to do it all at he same time (which I don't recommend for your initial updates because the size of the download. It's probably best to do your XP updates first, and the Microsoft Update. Once you're done with the initial updates, just using Microsoft Update should be OK).

If you're on dial-up and have set Automatic Updates to Notify Only, then as an alternative you method you can go to the Microsoft Update site to update your other Microsoft products (link below); you should bookmark this link for future use:

Again, if you have an XP SP2 disc, you won't have to uninstall SP2. But you will have to do the updates again.

If you have high speed web access, the process is not daunting. But if you have dial-up, and you don't have a copy of SP2, then downloading SP2 with Windows Update can take several hours. Again, for dial-up, it is advisable to order the SP2 CD from Microsoft, and always have it on hand. The same for MSN dial-up users.

Again, for dial-up (which I have), I keep my Automatic Updates set to Notify Only. This lets you control when you want updates to be downloaded by just going to the Windows Update site, or Microsoft Update site, and initiating the downloads manually.

I've created this tip to help others new to the Windows XP repair process, since I had to learn it the hard way by myself. Hopefully this post will help someone.

Good luck with your XP repair.

NOTE: Below are two links that also give detailed instructions on repair of an XP installation (thanks to a reply by CNET forum moderator Jonah Jones to my original XP forum post).

- Thanks to TE7 for their contribution.

Collapse -
Bleu screen
by sacrobosco7 / May 27, 2008 5:58 AM PDT

When your pc is from a recent years, Windows have a Funktion F11 that will bring your computer back to the factory adjustements: BUT i hope you have taken back ups from all your importent maps and information.
Restart your pc and start directly pushing F11 and follow up the questions.Then you can bring directly protection and the drivers you need on .
Much luck

Collapse -
I would take great care before doing this.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 27, 2008 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Bleu screen

This option may only be available on some machines, mainly OEM Retail computers where the Operating System came pre-installed.

This is often the manufacturer's Recovery option, but it will wipe everything out and return the Operating System to the state it was when you first turned it on. A lot can be lost that way so users may want to explore all other avenues first.

Collapse -
features of XP SERVICE PACK 2
by mayankrothe / June 4, 2008 5:02 PM PDT

Can i please get the detailed list of the features included in XP SP2

Collapse -
Done Any Searching Yet...?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 5, 2008 7:01 AM PDT

Google should give you that information.. Most is from Microsoft such as the links below:

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Feature List

List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
How to 'Add System Config' in forum preferences
by degelmom60 / October 26, 2008 3:22 PM PDT

Hi, I'm new to this & trying to comply. You suggest I add my system configuration to my profile under Forum Pref. I don't see where or how to do this. Can you help? Thanks so much Kathy

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 26, 2008 8:27 PM PDT

Hi Kathy.

Sadly, this cannot be done at the moment. When I wrote the post we had much fuller profiles where we could add personal details about ourselves and information about our systems. But CNET and the Forums are undergoing a makeover, and while much of the work has been done to improve how the forums look and feel, work on the profiles is still in progress.

My apologies. Please disregard what I said. Many do, anyway, Devil

Collapse -
Just wanted to say...
by mjohn19989 / October 26, 2008 3:44 PM PDT

thank Mark. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 26, 2008 8:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Just wanted to say...
Collapse -
Driver Problem!
by hmadhy2783 / November 19, 2008 11:29 PM PST

Dear Mark,

I have surfing for last two days to get the Driver for my Desktop.
I have Acer Aspire M5600. Core 2 Duo 2.66 Ghz 2GB RAM 250GB HDD PC. And I have recently downgrade my PC from Vista to XP and having lot problems because of the drivers are not easily available. I have tried lot of sites and been unable to find any compatible drivers for my PC. Please need an advice?
Waiting for your earliest reply on this subject.

Best Regards.
Hassan Madhy.

Collapse -
Try again in the forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2008 11:44 PM PST
In reply to: Driver Problem!

This is the forum sticky where announcements and tips live. I'll lock this for a day to give you time to post in the forum.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.