Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Welcome To Networking & wireless forum! Start Here for Tips!

by PudgyOne / September 13, 2007 3:19 PM PDT

This forum is open to the many people who post their helpful tips and suggestions here. Everyone benefits from this information, and we do not want anyone to miss out!

This sticky is where you can post all of your helpful tips and suggestions that will help out with wireless routers and networks.

In your tips, please keep the Forum Policies in mind.

This sticky is dependent on YOU and your tips so keep 'em coming!

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Welcome To Networking & wireless forum! Start Here for Tips!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Welcome To Networking & wireless forum! Start Here for Tips!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
All Wireless Routers
by PudgyOne / September 13, 2007 3:20 PM PDT

The basic setup is

wall > isp modem/router > your wireless router > wired/wireless

The wireless router needs setup. Setup is done with an ethernet cable. After you plug into the wireless router with the ethernet cable, setup can begin. Log in to your router, instructions came with your router.

Give the router the name you want to.

All wireless routers come shipped with outdated firmware. Please check the manufacturers website for an update in the firmware.

Keep the SSID broadcasting

Use WPA-Personal (WPA2-if possible) Give it a passkey(password) that is a combination of letters and numbers.

Remember to save your settings and then exit.

Unplug the computer from the router and restart your computer.

You now have WPA Security enabled and will NOT have problems with being disconnected.

Collapse -
(NT) Correction Do NOT use WPA2 Security. Only use WPA Security
by PudgyOne / January 10, 2008 12:55 PM PST
In reply to: All Wireless Routers
Collapse -
Please See Updated Information About WPA vs WPA2
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 31, 2009 6:52 AM PDT

Although many type of older hardware still need to go with WPA for good connections status, for those with high security needs, see the information below.. It may be best to upgrade hardware to be more secure. You make the decision:

Moving to WPA2 is worthwhile for improved safer wireless security, even if it means purchaing new hardware.

Internet Storm Center -- WPA with TKIP done
http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=7027

QUOTE: Researchers in Japan describe how to perform the Beck-Tews style attack against any WPA-TKIP implementation, in under a minute. The paper and upcoming presentation have already been covered in the mainstream media. If your hardware supports it, time to consider moving to WPA with AES or WPA2.

Full 12 Page Study
http://jwis2009.nsysu.edu.tw/locatio...20on%20WPA.pdf

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Netgear WGR614v6 No CD Required
by PudgyOne / September 13, 2007 3:35 PM PDT

Manual can be found here

http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/wgr614v6_ref_man_20Apr05.pdf

Logging in(first time)

1. Connect the modem into the internet/wan port of the router. (The port that is closest to the antenna.)
2. Connect your computer into any of the lan ports on the router.
3. Plug the power cable into the router.
4. You should see 3 lights on the router (power, internet and lan connection).
5. Now, take out the power cable from the router and from the modem also. And plug the power back to the router, just to the router.
6. You should see 2 lights on the router (power and lan connection).
7. Open Internet explorer and in the address box type http://www.routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm and hit enter.
8. user name is:admin / password is: password

After you are logged in,

page 27 in manual seems to be helpful

Before you do too much, you may want to update the firmware in the router.
Go to
http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wgr614v6.asp
and download the latest firmware and install it, could make your setup go easier.

Remember to give the router the name you want

Broadcast SSID

Enable WPA-Personal Security

If you feel that you need the CD, it can be downloaded here

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101649.asp

If you are using this with Verizon DSL or a Westell modem/router you may have to change the ip address of the Netgear router.

Please follow the steps to change the ip address of the Netgear router.

1. Connect the modem into the internet/wan port of the router. (The port that is closest to the antenna.)
2. Connect your computer into any of the lan ports on the router.
3. Plug the power cable into the router.
4. You should see 3 lights on the router (power, internet and lan connection).
5. Now, take out the power cable from the router and from the modem also. And plug the power back to the router, just to the router.
6. You should see 2 lights on the router (power and lan connection).
7. Open Internet explorer and in the address box type http://192.168.1.1/basicsetting.htm or http://www.routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm and hit enter.
8. This will take you to the basic settings page of the router.
9. Click on apply button on the bottom.
10. Login to the router (User Name = admin Password = password unless you have changed it).
11. Click on ?LAN IP SETUP? on the left hand side.
12. Change the lan ip address or local ip address to 192.168.7.1 and click on apply.
13. This will give you page cannot be displayed.
14. Now, connect take out the power cable form the router.
15. Plug the power cable to the modem and wait for the modem to come up properly, and when the modem is up then plug the power cable to the router.
16. Go back to the computer and try to access the Internet.

You can use the setup wizard or manually configure it yourself.

Collapse -
All Netgear router CD's can be downloaded
by PudgyOne / September 13, 2007 3:37 PM PDT
Collapse -
Belkin routers update feature doesn't always work
by PudgyOne / September 16, 2007 7:50 PM PDT

Belkin routers have a feature that will update the firmware, automatically. This feature tell that the firmware is up to date, when it isn't.

Please check Belkin's website for the latest firmware update and install it manually.

Collapse -
How to repair a connection
by PudgyOne / September 16, 2007 8:15 PM PDT

Most problems are caused by using peer to peer and/or having some type of spyware that was put on your computer. This causes your connection to fail.

Most wireless networks have a troubleshoot button and/or repair button. The repair button does this. It sends the command and does the following, this can be done manually using these commands,

start

run

cmd

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /flushdns

If your computer cannot renew the ip address then you need to use this tool to get thinks working again.

It's called WinSock XP Fix. Currently it works for most Windows platforms, unsure if it works for Windows Vista.

Collapse -
Some Vista laptops may not connect to Wifi routers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2007 1:22 AM PDT

Read about a registry change at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

Also, be sure to set your router to broadcast SSID and use WPA as noted above.

The good news is no one I know has run into this issue. I have 2 Vista laptops so far and have yet to see this issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Myth vs. reality: Wireless SSIDs

Do you ever wonder sometimes how it is that some ideas just won't die? Like the thought that not broadcasting your wireless network's SSID will somehow make you more secure? This is a myth that needs to be forcibly dragged out behind the woodshed, strangled until it wheezes its last labored breath, then shot several times for good measure. [....]

The old axiom remains true: security by obscurity is no security at all. Hiding an SSID will not hide a wireless network, so ignore any such advice -- and it's amazing how often I continue to see this. By the way, also ignore any advice that says to use MAC address filtering. It's amazingly trivial to spoof the MAC address of an allowed supplicant -- simply sniff the traffic, look at the MAC addresses, and use the neat little SMAC utility to change your MAC to one that's permitted.

Complete article at http://blogs.technet.com/steriley/archive/2007/10/16/myth-vs-reality-wireless-ssids.aspx

Collapse -
Amen Donna
by prmath / October 20, 2007 4:55 AM PDT

SSID security is a pain in the tee-hiney. I NEVER ever WEP a customer unless they request me to do so. I understand a business or a crooked politician needing security, but common folks like us really don't need that much security........but make sure the firewall is on.

Do I care if anyone else uses my signal? Not no...but heck no! Most WI-FI routers can handle many connections without a problem. If you are so chinkey that you worry about your signal being used, then you need to go hide under the bed.

If you are not WEP'ed, any new computers or your friends will have no problems at your house..........I B Gone

Collapse -
Others using your connection
by pofarrell / January 15, 2008 11:14 AM PST
In reply to: Amen Donna

Outside of the US, most Internet access incurs a usage charge. In Australia for instance a common Internet plan provides 400mb of usage per month. After that, you pay by the Mb.

Collapse -
Printer Sharing on XP Vista Network
by PudgyOne / October 21, 2007 2:31 PM PDT

by kaufmanmoore - 2/15/07 8:36 PM

I had the same problem and here's what I did to fix it:

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty

Yahoo! It worked. Go figure! I guess Microsoft thinks printers on a intranet are local.

Collapse -
Network Map in Windows Vista does not display XP computers
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2007 2:06 AM PST
Collapse -
Linksys Wireless-Range Expander WRE54G
by PudgyOne / December 28, 2007 9:05 AM PST

by PsychGen - 11/17/07 10:34 AM

After fighting to get a Belkin Wireless G router to locate my Linksys WRE with no success for a week. Even following the quick install On the installation CD. I reset the WRE to factory defaults. CAT-5'd the wre to the router, The router must already be configured, Security, etc. Press the auto config button, waited till I got two steady blue lights. The only 'problem' with this Config, The WRE takes on the SSID of the router, Indicating The router and the WRE are one in the same, which makes sense linked.

Step 1: Get your network stable and secure before adding The WRE54G.
Step 2: Cat-5 the wre54g to the router. Power Wre on.
step 3: the wre is wired to the access point through the CAt-5
step 4" Press the auto config button on the WRE. Whait till you have two staedy blue lights. The WRE is now congigured to your network, Security settings, everything.

Collapse -
Setting up a wireless print server with your printer
by PudgyOne / January 9, 2008 8:21 PM PST

First start with your wireless router.

Update the firmware(manufacturer's website/make and model)
Broadcast SSID(If changing the security, use a new SSID name to make it easier to connect.)
Use WPA security

Use channels 1,6 or 11. These channels work for most devices.

Now setup the wireless print server(adapter).

Plug in the USB cable to the wireless print server and your computer. Insert the wireless print server disk and follow the instructions. It will prompt you for type of security and passkey.

Everytime you change the security, password, etc. on the wireless router, you'll need to also change the wireless print server.

Now insert your printer disk into your computer. Choose network. Choose using a wireless print server. Find your printer and follow the instructions.

Insert the printer drivers disk into each computer on your network.

You should no be able to print, scan, fax and copy.

Collapse -
The Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2)/Wireless
by PudgyOne / January 20, 2008 4:22 AM PST
Collapse -
How to use Routers as an Access Point.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2008 12:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Netgear Moved the content. Use this post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2011 12:32 PM PST
Collapse -
Date and Time in routers, client devices.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2009 2:13 AM PDT

Just a tip. Some connection problems vanish when we set the date and time in the routers and client devices.

Collapse -
It's not the driver or the OS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2009 11:40 PM PST

Read http://forums.cnet.com/5208-21565_102-0.html?messageID=3166122&tag=forum-w;forums06#3166122

"2 Apple engineers from Cupertino (like a visit from royalty!!! -fortunately in my area for someone else) were at my house last week troubleshooting for 3 hrs! They were very professional & helpful. Determined that the at&t 2Wire Gateway 2701HG-B router was dropping outgoing signal. They did data capture tests & showed me screen image indicating strong incoming DSL, but unstable outgoing from the router portion. Said they've heard of lots of similar issues w/ that modem/router which at&t still provides to new DSL account customers. They suggested I disable the router portion & hookup with new Airport Extreme router (or any newer router). Did it last night, so far no more unstable wifi! AE even works great for the Vista laptops here, altho they are type 'g' versus my iMac being type 'n'. It sends out separate signals for each type. Apparently the Snow Leopard timing was merely a weird coincidence. Whatever, I'm very happy w/ Apple again."

This is a fine example where owners must maintain an open mind that it may not be their computer at fault.
Bob

Collapse -
Don't panic. WPA cracking in the news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2010 10:51 PM PST
http://www.google.com/search?q=New+cloud-based+service+steals+Wi-Fi+passwords

Read up and post comments in the forum if you wish.
Collapse -
Are you rebooting your router a lot? (link only)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2012 3:52 AM PDT
http://lifehacker.com/5910788/why-do-i-have-to-keep-resetting-my-router-and-how-can-i-fix-it
Collapse -
Powerline Adapter Corrupted by Charging Cords by andrewbagg
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2015 8:41 AM PDT

Powerline Adapter Corrupted by Charging Cords by andrewbaggins / January 3, 2015 4:15 AM PST (copied to tips thread)

Our Powerline adapters were giving us poor performance.

We discovered that cellphone charger cords plugged into power outlets in the same room with the powerline adapters were the cause.

The charging cords cause electrical interference which affects the powerline adapter's signal quality. Even if your cellphone or tablet isn't being charged the charger cord still seems to interfere with the powerline adapter.

So, unplug those charger cords even when not in use. It doesn't matter if they are the USB type or "wall wart" type your powerline network is better with them unplugged. We also leave our battery charger unplugged when not in use, although i can't confirm that it generates interference.

Our solution is to use a power outlet by the kitchen counter for charging phones and tablets.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.