Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Welcome MacFixIt forum members!

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 4, 2009 8:42 AM PDT

Hi there MFIF members,

I want to personally welcome you to the CNET forums! I'm very excited to have you folks join us.

I know that this is a big transition for all of you--it's a completely new forum environment and community, and I know that many of you find the news to end the MFIF forums frustrating, disappointing, and even heartbreaking.

As a community manager, as soon as I got notice that this was to take place, I knew that the transition--to merge one community into another-would be no easy task. I've been through it once before, when the CNET forums merged with the ZDNet forums. It's difficult to cope with drastic changes, and some of you may simply not accept this change and will move on. The saddest part will be losing some of the great contributing members who stuck around through thick and thin over the years.

In time, things will heal. For those of you who are willing to accept the changes and move forward, a new community of users will be created, which will comprise of some veterans and some newbies. The balance of both will make our community even stronger. I know it's not going to be like the good old days, but, in time, new memories will be made and new friendships will be formed. But it's all up to you to make it happen. Yeah I know it sounds cheesy...but I believe in it.

The culture in the CNET forums is simple: our members and moderators have a great deal of respect for one another, whether you're new or a veteran member. We welcome folks from all walks of life to gather in one place and to help each other out, because the community is only as good as its members.

As I've read through some of the feedback from you, I know that this platform is very different than what you had previously used. I hope that the platform doesn't dictate how great your community is. At the end of the day what really counts is knowing that we've come together as a community of members, focused our attention to those in need, and helped someone out with his or her troubles, in hopes that some day, they will be able to pay it forward and help someone else.

I really want to sincerely welcome you all, and I think you will eventually find a place here to call your home, too. Our Mac user presence has never been strong, but I'm hoping that going forward this will change with your help and willingness to share your wisdom with the rest of the community. Our goal is to build a great community of Mac enthusiasts right here in these forums!
Thank you all for your time.

-Lee Koo
CNET Community

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Welcome MacFixIt forum members!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Welcome MacFixIt forum members!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
May I join in?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 4, 2009 6:41 PM PDT

I'm a Windows user myself, so I will get that out of the way. I will run away and hide later, Happy

But it is great to see CNET's Mac User Forums expand with new forums, and new members. Apple products are a major part of so many people's lives, and Apple Macintosh computer systems always seem to receive great reviews. The Mac community is fiercely loyal, and that is how it should be.

I remember when Apple 'personal' computers first appeared, in the late 1970's or early 80's. They looked fantastic then, and very exciting. Sadly, in 1981, I chose the Sinclair ZX80, and I have been going wrong ever since!

Welcome all, and I hope you have a good time here. Don't forget, there are other "General" forums available here. There's the;

Speakeasy forum where nearly anything goes. We only evict the worst offenders.

Buzz Out Lounge, where we can discuss CNET BOL video and audio Podcasts, available from CNET Podcast Central. You can find all the latest tech news there, and tell the presenters where they went wrong.

Web design and hosting and Coding and scripting. All the help you need there for web design issues and programming problems , or where you can help out others.

Forum feedback for discussing forum matters.

There is much more, at the Gateway page,

Now, can I introduce any of you to a good Microsoft Windows PC? Devil

Collapse -
MacFixItForums Archives
by cyn / August 16, 2009 11:53 AM PDT

Lee, belated thanks for your post. While I'm one who's moved on I nevertheless appreciate your obvious dedication to the CNET community and your personal warm welcome to MFIF members.

I do have one concern to address, which is that because there was only a one week window between when the news of the MacFixIt Forums closure was posted and when visits to started redirecting to the CNET Mac forums, some MFIF members didn't see the announcement and don't understand why they're landing here. Rather than leave those folks forever in the dark, I'd like to let them know they can currently access the read-only MacFixIt Forums and catch up at

I should also note that some people have found the archive pages take a long time to load. For those who encounter that problem, this "Fix for macfixitforums archive slow loading" posted elsewhere by Kevin M. Dean will likely help:

So I was looking at and I found that the page loads were being held up by a couple of links to an ad server called that wasn't responding. If you block that domain with an ad blocker or add the following to your /private/etc/hosts file, it loads quickly again.

Then in the Terminal, clear your DNS cache with:

dscacheutil -flushcache

Collapse -
Thanks for that info and welcome cyn!
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 17, 2009 3:10 AM PDT

I was under the impression that in addition to the posted announcements, all MFIF members where sent an email to notify them of the read only status and a link to the archive... maybe I was mistaken. This good information to have, what I will do is post a note about your advice on the slow MFIF page loads and also include a link to MFIF archive.

Thank you cyn! And welcome to the CNET forums!

Collapse -
MacFixIt Forums Archives
by dianne / August 17, 2009 8:10 AM PDT

Hello, Lee Koo

In his recent MFI Late-Breakers, UPDATED: Worried about permissions?, Joe Aimonetti was able to provide two links to MacFixIt Forums' threads.

Would it be possible to make searchable by the rest of us? I am unable to login and receive this error message:
Safari can't open the specified address.
Safari can?t open ?://localhost/? because Mac OS X doesn?t recognize Internet addresses starting with ?:?.

Might there be a setting in the UBB.threads' Control Panel which would return the Search option to the navigation bar, i.e, the line which currently reads
Register User | Forum List | FAQ,
without the need to login?

Collapse -
Hi Dianne, I'll see if Aaron can fix this...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 17, 2009 8:22 AM PDT

I don't have access to those Forum admin controls, but I will ask Aaron to see if he can dig into it.

The forums would be very helpful if Search doesn't work... I'll update you all when I hear from Aaron.

Collapse -
Search with Google
by Kevin M. Dean / August 17, 2009 11:15 AM PDT

In the meantime you can search the site with google by typing the following with your own search words: search_words

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for the tip Kevin!
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 19, 2009 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Search with Google
Collapse -
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 19, 2009 8:23 AM PDT

Aaron is aware of this already and has filed a bug to get this corrected, hopefully it will be soon!

Collapse -
Re: Update
by dianne / August 20, 2009 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

Thank you, Lee.

With appreciation to your staff and especially the engineers.

Collapse -
UPDATE: MFIF search should be enabled w/out having to log in
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 26, 2009 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Update
Collapse -
by dianne / August 28, 2009 11:56 PM PDT

Thank you, Lee.

I was able to find the information and links I needed using the Search function at MFIF.

Collapse -
by macnerd10 / October 5, 2009 9:59 AM PDT

As of today, the deplorably slow loading of MFIF archive site has not been corrected. Admins, hello!!

Collapse -
Unfortunately I honestly don't think that will be addressed
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 5, 2009 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope

I got the folks to fix the barrier to search functionality, but I really don't think that issue with the slow page load will be addresssed, but I will ask.

In the mean time, have you tried using the solution posted by member cyn?

I should also note that some people have found the archive pages take a long time to load. For those who encounter that problem, this "Fix for macfixitforums archive slow loading" posted elsewhere by Kevin M. Dean will likely help:

So I was looking at and I found that the page loads were being held up by a couple of links to an ad server called that wasn't responding. If you block that domain with an ad blocker or add the following to your /private/etc/hosts file, it loads quickly again.

Then in the Terminal, clear your DNS cache with:

dscacheutil -flushcache

Collapse -
Wrong advice
by macnerd10 / October 6, 2009 3:19 PM PDT

You did not cite the advice on how to tweak the computer to load the archives site fast in the right way. A critical thing is missing. The private/etc/hosts file is invisible and cannot be edited because even the admin user has no privileges to save the edited file. Therefore, this file should be opened in Terminal and edited there, which is not intuitive (like control-O for save). The edit line to add to the file is correct per your post. To complete the editing and flush the DNS cache, one has to follow the procedures detailed in the following link (taken from Kevin's thread on; provided by Alternaut):
One may not need the $ sign, just do as in the previous post.
I can confirm that it works in Snow Leopard as well.

Collapse -
Thank you for correcting that information
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 7, 2009 2:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Wrong advice

Now people will know how the correct way.

Thanks again!

Collapse -
i need help with my mac g5
by joumackid / December 18, 2009 12:55 PM PST
In reply to: Wrong advice

i tryied to delete my old software front the idisk so i could install a new softwa. and now theres a folder with finder next to it .........

Collapse -
You would be better off posting this
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 3, 2010 11:23 PM PST

in the Mac Desktop forum.

You will find a link to it on the left hand side of this post.

You may also want to add a little more information too. There is not a lot we can do with the information you posted here.

Do you really mean iDisk or do you mean the hard drive in your G5.

Collapse -
Is this a joke?
by Cowicide / October 8, 2009 4:10 AM PDT

Please tell me this is some kind of sick joke. You have to troubleshoot to access the Macfixit archives??

You have to run terminal to access parts of MacFixit now??? You have to troubleshoot to merely access a troubleshooting website???

Goodbye forever MacFixit... looks like the idiots at cnet have ruined you.

Collapse -
Oh, well
by macnerd10 / October 8, 2009 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Is this a joke?

That was my first reaction too! But we are human, therefore can adapt. If you need to access the wealth of advice on old forums, it takes 5 minutes to do it. Believe me, I am a real newbie with Terminal, but the link is explicit. Consider it another case of bad customer service (haven't we all experienced it?).

Collapse -
Question about MacFixItForums archives
by dianne / August 4, 2010 8:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
That's a good question, let me find out and...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 5, 2010 6:43 AM PDT

I will let you know. Hopefully they will remain available.

Collapse -
by mehak_j / August 16, 2010 2:19 AM PDT

Hello! This is Mehak J. I have recently completed my bachelors in Business Administration Information Technology Management.
My interests are to explore marketing techniques for the growth of business. Listening music and socializing are my all time activities as I am Radio Jockey on FM101. I believe in long term results by setting strong basics and always keep my eyes on high set goals.
Seems like a great forum for continuing my IT education. Glad to be part of the community!

Collapse -
The Good Old Days
by joyss / March 18, 2012 1:32 AM PDT

I am old-fashioned. I am also old. Perhaps, I believe (as I'm waiting for IMAGE CAPTURE, to scan screen - aha it stopped) that the programs I've used for many a year are more easier, quicker and more productive.

Take for instance, GRAB. I've used it since it became offered. With a flick of my finger I can take a pic of 4 different screen choices. With a flick of my wrist I can then save the choice. This all takes about 8 sec. (I timed "selection.") IMAGE CAPTURE would still be scanning the screen.

Then there is APPLEWORKS. I love APPLEWORKS. I even bought a second hand iBook with an OS of 10.4 so that I could use my favorite program.
(Yes, my iMac (10.7.3) contains iWorks with PAGES. I tried to use it . I really did try - but I got bolluxed up and very frustrated.)
I happily went back to APPLEWORKS to create my senior's club monthly memo, my Mah Jongg's club yearly framed memento portrait and varied personal needs- all with ease and with pleasure.
I can polish an image with Paint tools and set it into a text page with ease , setting it backward or completely back in a second. I can create a frame in Paint, copying and pasting portions of the frame to elongate it to match the paper size and also slide it easily into the text. I can then arrange text to fit pics and frames. And Voila!
Oh yes, I can comfortable create a membership list in APPLEWORKS that is usable for mailing labels, name plates and our yearly directory. ...and varied other sundries.

So, young people, enhance your programs with new complexities and razzle dazzle(and increased $'s). Let me sit in my rocking chair with time on my hands.

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 18, 2012 12:45 PM PDT
In reply to: The Good Old Days

if those darned computer thingies ever catch on, we'll be in a world of hurt.

Shame you didn't feel it necessary to mention the only program that was worth a darn, HyperCard.

There is still nothing that even comes close to it.

Collapse -
by joyss / March 19, 2012 2:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Yep,

I agree - Hypercard was one of the best. To quote a review:

"I was a Hypercard child - though our friendship was brief.
Our seventh-grade class was led into a room full of brand-new Macintosh Performas. The day's lesson was a crash course in the use of an uncomplicated yet marvelous program. With it, one might persuade a computer to do anything and everything - or so it seemed to a child with the attention span to appreciate the wonder.

Half a dozen of us were invited back a week later; and then again, and again, for several delicious months.
Among these pupils, I was the only one who had already dabbled in programming. Compared to the familiar ROM BASIC of my family's second-hand Commodore 64, the HyperTalk language seemed clunky and comically verbose. And yet there was something magical, something oddly enthralling about Hypercard as a whole. The ease with which a mostly-blank screen could be turned into an interactive, living, breathing graphical toy of my own creation was astounding, exhilarating, and addictive.."

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.