Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Forum Feedback & Announcements

General discussion

Welcome links at top right of all CNET pages.

by jamie.p.walsh / September 21, 2006 / 8:45 AM UTC

Can somebody fix it so that, when logged in, either clicking 'View my profile' actually GOES to my profile, and clicking my username takes me to managing my account.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Welcome links at top right of all CNET pages.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Welcome links at top right of all CNET pages.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some questions...
by John.Wilkinson / September 21, 2006 / 4:31 PM UTC

Neither link is designed to take you directly to the 'Managing my account' page, they both take me to my profile without hesitation. Have you tried logging out, deleting all Cnet cookies and clearing your browser cache? If that doesn't work verify that the links are pointing to http://reviews.cnet.com/community/jamie.p.walsh/?tag=unilog and include the details such as browsers (compatibility issue?), security software installed (Norton, for one, is known for blocking javascript, which is what is being used there), and if the problem occurs on other computers as well.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
that's how they are working today
by jamie.p.walsh / September 22, 2006 / 5:09 AM UTC
In reply to: Some questions...

I checked and rechecked those things in all sections of CNET (Front door, reviews, news, forums). Every time it took me to the manage my account page.

I didn't even clear my browser's cache yet, I was still cookied in from yesterday.

Thanks

Collapse -
actually, they are not working from the News.com subdomain
by jamie.p.walsh / October 25, 2006 / 2:31 PM UTC

they work correctly in Frontdoor, Reviews, Downloads (goes to my watchlist), Tips & Tricks, CNET TV, and Compare Prices.

Also, this component doesn't seem to keep me logged in across all subdomains. Front Door and Reviews seem tied together as navigating from one to the other keeps my login status. Same goes for Tips & Tricks and Compare Prices. Downloads seems independent. News seems independent. CNET TV seems independent.

on IE6 by the way.

Collapse -
The irony...
by John.Wilkinson / October 25, 2006 / 4:13 PM UTC

The irony is that while that was designed as a 'universal login,' it is in no way universal...you are forced to log into each Cnet 'property' separately. I'm hoping they correct it in the future, as it did work for a short period in the past, but right now it's not feature-complete in my book.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions
icon
Tablets 1,149 discussions
icon
Security 28,606 discussions
icon
Home Audio and Video 18,995 discussions