Networking & Wireless forum

Question

weird thing with two ipads on a network

by mko / January 29, 2013 8:59 AM PST

here was the problem. in the last day, TWO iPads were not connecting to our perfectly working home wifi(secured). the signal is strong but that little circle keeps spinning around and around. in settings, all the specific info related to the wifi was blank.

so I enabled a tethering app on an android phone and both ipads connected to it.....yet still unable to connect to the home wifi. again, the home network works fine because i am connected to it with a remote desktop and my android tablet connected to the wifi.

so it's not the home wifi, and since they connected to the tethering app, it's not the iPads. with me goofing around and essentially doing nothing, one iPad finally connected and as it did so did the other, and now they're both connected. in other words whatever the iPads were or were not doing, they were doing or not doing it in tandem,,,,,,it seems.

can anyone offer an explanation as to what was happening? thx

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: weird thing with two ipads on a network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: weird thing with two ipads on a network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
My netgear would do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 12:47 AM PST

It was also having issues with a laptop so off to the forums and yup, folk were discussing that and a cure. But I can't tell if that applies here. The post has no details about the router, version, etc.
Bob

Collapse -
so, what are you saying
by mko / January 30, 2013 3:35 AM PST

i have a dlink 1360 version b1, but does it matter. unless this is a specific known issue, this situation is occurring ONLY between ipad and dlink and no other circumstance

Collapse -
The issue appears to be spreading to other routers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 3:47 AM PST

The usual advice is to install the latest router firmware but in this case we are going back a version or two while we wait for the router makers to fix this issue.

Those that aren't exposed to a lot of networks might think it's something with "ONLY" this or that but the issue started with reports of the iPad then iPhone and now some laptops.

I'm not going to write more about that since some folk want me to convince them about the issue. So here it is.

We first try the router defaults and no security. Usually works. Then we change the SSID and re-test. Now we turn on the WPA2-PSK or personal security and re-test. If that works we pack up and go. Sometimes you have an owner using MAC address filtering and you can't help them. But all I have is your posts to work with so I'll share the procedure and if that fails we roll the router firmware version to the latest if it's out date or an just one version back from latest version.

Some folk think it's a setting. We won't correct those folk since we need the business.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.