Spyware, Viruses, & Security

Resolved Question

Weird Redirects

by gflash128 / April 5, 2013 5:38 AM PDT

Hello all,

Well here we go:
ASUS Notebook K40u/K50u series,
Pentium Dual T4400 @ 2.6 GHz. Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1, 3g memory.

ok, I'm getting redirects on Google links. and links within web pages don't work at all.
Here's where it gets a little weird. My normal web pages don't recognize me or a password or something.else?
Lastly, I woke up around the same date and found my laptop completely powered down. I NEVER power down unless I do it for a specific reason??

Any Help?

gflash128 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Weird Redirects
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Weird Redirects
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by gflash128

Collapse -
Some things to do
by wpgwpg / April 5, 2013 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Weird Redirects

It sounds like you could have a virus or other malware. Get your antivirus program up to date and boot into Safe Mode. Note that some viruses can hide themselves from your antivirus program in normal mode, so you really need to scan in Safe Mode. To get into Safe Mode when you first power up, hit F8 about once a second until you get the menu and select Safe Mode. Then run a full system scan.
-
Microsoft has suggestions and offerings at
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-I-remove-a-computer-virus
-
Forum moderator Keith has some suggestions along this line at
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-explorer-has-stopped-working/6ab02526-5071-4dcc-895f-d90202bad8b3
-
If that fixes it, fine. If not, use System Restore to go back to a date prior to the beginning of the problem. To run System Restore, click Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. Click the box that says Show more restore points.
-
You can check for corrupted system files. Open an administrator command prompt and run SFC if the above doesn't help. Click START, then type CMD in the search box, right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator. Then from the command prompt type sfc /scannow.
-
Finally if all else fails, you can check the rather cryptic system event log. To do so click Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. Once in Event Viewer click on the system log and scroll through the entries looking for those flagged "error" to see if you can find hints as to where the problem could be.
`
I hope this helps. Good luck.

Collapse -
Thank you !
by gflash128 / April 8, 2013 10:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Some things to do

hey "wpgwpg,"

I have to give where credit is due. SFC scan killed the virus! AND 12 others hiding in my laptop!

WOW! is all I can say.

I use AVG free. good at what it does but missed these 13 viruses, etc...

To those reading or referring to this thread. You may have to download SFC scan from Microsoft first then just follow the directions above, easy!<div>
wpgwpg, I believe we've chatted before (New search engines and metasearch)
Your responses are thorough, researched, well thought out, and presented at an appropriate reading level. Thank you again. I think I'll try the "Performance scan" as well!
</div>
Gordon

Collapse -
Answer
Virus leading redirects
by dj079 / April 9, 2013 4:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Weird Redirects

Weird redirects are one of the major symptom of the malware attacks into your system. If you are facing nay malicious threat attack in your system it needs to be checked with the help oof safe mode scan of your local drives.
Get the latest version of antivirus software like: -

•Avast (http://www.avast.com/download-software)
•Norton (http://us.norton.com/downloads/)
•Kaspersky (http://www.kaspersky.com/antivirus-free-trial)

You can also check the reason behind infection with the help of system restore. Start—Programs—Accessories—System Tool—System Restore.

Once the malicious threat is removed from PC, weird redirects will be gone.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.