Computer Help

General discussion

Weird Pop up messages

by Wilgaz / September 8, 2008 1:30 PM PDT

Hey Guys,

My computer randomly pops up a message stating,

C:\Windows\System32\awvtrstq.dll this module can not be found.

Now the .dll part its like always different i ran multiple scans ccleaner, mcaffe, windows defender, and malicious software removal.

Whats the problem here?

Please and thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Weird Pop up messages
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Weird Pop up messages
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
New one to me
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 8, 2008 8:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Weird Pop up messages

Google doesn't list wvtrstq.dll or wvtrstq, so this is something new. Are you sure you got the name right?

It may be a virus or something similar that your anti-malware utilities removed, but there is a remnant that is trying to load this at Startup.

Goto MSCONFIG, the System Configuration utility, and see what is listed in the Startup tab. To access it, goto Start > Run, type in msconfig and click OK. When the window displays, click the Startup tab.

Remove the tick for anything that relates to this file. Google will help you identify most entries.

Mark

Collapse -
maybe you mean vtstq.dll?
by jonah jones / September 8, 2008 8:48 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks but...
by Wilgaz / September 9, 2008 12:39 PM PDT

Hey thanks for answering so quickly.....

But i tried both of your methods neither which worked..

Also I am sure that i spelled it right

Also its a different name each time it pops up.

Its slowed down but before i could leave my computer on for a day look at it and there would be 50 of them

Collapse -
If it's a different name each time ...
by Kees Bakker / September 9, 2008 9:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks but...

it looks like malware indeed.

Kees

Collapse -
Can you post a screen print?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 9, 2008 9:28 PM PDT

The next time this pops up, take a screen print, save it as a JPEG onto your Desktop, and then upload it to a host like ImageShack or PhotoBucket, or similar.

Then post the url web address here, so we can see the image.

Thanks.

Mark

Collapse -
k
by Wilgaz / September 9, 2008 9:36 PM PDT

No problem will do

Collapse -
Got a Pic!
by Wilgaz / September 10, 2008 9:49 PM PDT
In reply to: k
Collapse -
Rundll
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 11, 2008 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Got a Pic!

Did I see that the title bar on that window says Rundll? It isn't too clear.

If so, go back to MSCONFIG, and look for any entry that calls up Rundll, (short for Run DLL), and see what it says. You may have to manipulate the header columns to drag them wider, so you can see the full entries under certain columns.

Tell us if you find any, and what they say if you do.

Mark

Collapse -
Found a weird looking one
by Wilgaz / September 11, 2008 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Rundll

Start up name is Rundll32
then

Rundll32.exe"5 then lots of weird symbols the rest look legit but there is a lot of weird ones

Collapse -
That could be it.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 11, 2008 7:34 PM PDT

Good find Wilgaz.

Let's disable that by removing the tick. When you click Apply or OK, you will get a message stating the change will not take place until the next restart. Reboot now or later, that's up to you.

When you do next start the computer, you will see an "Information" message window telling you that you have chosen 'selective startup'. You can suppress that window from future displays within the window itself.

Try that, and let us know if it stops the message you have been getting.

I think I may have said before, but I would guess this is a remnant of a virus or other malware that your anti-malware protection has removed.

See if that works.

Mark

Collapse -
If worst comes to worst
by sgopiani / September 13, 2008 10:31 PM PDT
In reply to: That could be it.

Well if you got a problem like that you should backup any files that you need and format the hard drive.
I think you should od that if cant find any other solution.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.