Desktops

General discussion

Weird high pitched "Whine" coming out of my computer

by sup909 / March 13, 2006 10:29 PM PST

My parents computer has this earsplitting super high pitched ring or whine coming out of it. The sound is barely audible because the pitch is so high but it is definetly there.

At first I though the fans need to be cleaned because it is just dust or something, but I noticed that whenever I minimize all of my windows the whine disappears or goes much quieter. This seems to be most evident when I am running Firefox. (I havent checked with IE).

Sometimes the whine mysteriously stops and then starts up again for what seems to be no connection to anythng.

Is this perhaps the processor suddenly screaming at me, or perhaps a magnetic or interference problem with my high speed internet?

I am not on wifi. The hispeed internet has been in there for at least 16 months and is built into the motherboard.

Computer:
Dell Dimension 2400 p4 2.80
256 ram.

Pretty much still factory defualt still.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Weird high pitched "Whine" coming out of my computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Weird high pitched "Whine" coming out of my computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
spinning objects
by linkit / March 14, 2006 1:33 AM PST

Backup important files just in case it is your HD.

Clean all the dust out of your machine, including heatsinks, fans, and case filters. A can of compressed air should do the trick.

Run your computer with the case opened. Try to reproduce the sound and listen for the malfunctioning fan(s). Replace it.

It is likely just a fan. Usually "high pitched whine" means a smaller fan. Possibly on your video card or motherboard chipset. Maybe on your CPU heatsink.

Collapse -
Possible sources...
by Willy / March 14, 2006 10:12 PM PST

I suggest you check you monitor if CRT type. The scanning mode or Hz cycle coule be at fault. Reset to lower setting like to 60Hz or whatever it suupoprts, lower it. You can try maybe 600x800 type display or higher it to see if the whine sound increaes or changes etc. due to the video display changes.

As for fans, *all fans* must be checked, lets not forget the psu enclosed fan or those buried in the frt. panel if present. Sometimes, only replacing will find it. Trun your audio down to "0/zero) and see if it goes away. If it does you got some feedback. In some cases the mouse is related to that if you move the mouse with audio truned-Up it maybe more noticable. A failing HD could also be at fault, though it works, the bearings under heat stress tend to make noise, remove side cover and see if cooling seems to settle it down, though it may make it more noticable, a bad bearing isn't going to be quiet for long.

These are all guesses to a source. Check them all.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
adding to the monitor fix post
by nakuura / February 1, 2010 11:47 AM PST
In reply to: Possible sources...

You might try changing the Hz, Go to Control Panel > Display > Settings > Advanced. try a few different Hz and click Apply. I changed mine from 75 Hz to 85Hz and the sound went away.

Collapse -
Thanks
by sup909 / March 15, 2006 12:56 AM PST

Thanks I will definetly check those out.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.