Windows Vista

Question

Website logos...

by GeoK6868 / March 20, 2012 10:08 AM PDT

I am working on a laptop running Windows Vista. The customer claims that he shut down the laptop during an update when the message says not to shutdown until complete. I uninstalled and reinstalled Internet Explorer 8, that seems to be working fine now.

One problem I cannot get rid of is that website logos are upside down. Logos for CNET, Google, Yahoo, Amazon, and many others appear inverted.

Ran scans with Malwarebytes.
Ran scans with McAfee and then uninstalled McAfee.
Installed Avast and ran scan.
Cleared internet history and temporary files.

All these scans have turned up nothing, but the problem persists.

Does anyone have an idea what may cause this problem?

Thank you in advance for any help!!
GeoK

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Website logos...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Website logos...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Have the customer post here with more details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2012 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Website logos...

For now I'm going with malware.
Bob

Collapse -
Additional details...
by GeoK6868 / March 20, 2012 11:25 AM PDT

Malware was my first guess, but I starting to believe it is a corrupt file. But trying to find which file is corrupt is a problem. I am leaning towards a corrupt file because I installed Google Chrome. The website logos are fine. While in Internet Explorer if I copy the logo to clipboard and paste it in paint, the logo is no longer inverted.

Vista (Service Pack 2) has had all the updates applied. None show any errors.

System restore was applied using a restore point prior to the unreccomended shutdown.

The system is an Acer 5735Z, Intel Pentium Dual T3400 with 2GB RAM.

Collapse -
Still sounds like malware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2012 3:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Additional details...

IE allows ADD INS. I'd try no add ons.

Collapse -
Additional details...
by GeoK6868 / March 20, 2012 6:50 PM PDT

Thank you for your response.

Without add-ons displays the same symptoms.

Collapse -
Strange one
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 20, 2012 9:19 PM PDT

and more tests;

I also think this is likely malware but try these;

1] Run IE in its Safe Mode configuration, (Start > All programs > Accessories > System Tools > "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)".

This not only disables add-ons but also ActiveX and toolbars, so some pages may not display properly. But the test is to see if logos now display the right way up.

2] If 1 above doesn't work, reboot the OS into it's Safe Mode options, select "Safe Mode with networking", and open IE in that mode and test.

If any malware is installed, it may not get the chance to run in Safe Mode and so this is another test to see if logos display properly.

For information, I can only see that logos would be displayed upside down if some Javascript and/or CSS file has been added to the web pages, (example code at this web site), and if so then that points to malware and not any corrupt file.

That said, if you download and install CCleaner from http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner and run its analysis with Stock Settings, (no need to change anything on the application's opening page), then run the cleaner, that will remove all TIF files, and will delete history and cookies, as well as any Temp folder files, so if there are any corrupted internet files, that might clear it. All cookies will be deleted, including any held in Chrome, so if your customer needs any for logins etc, head over to Options > Cookies before the run to save them. But personally I would get rid of them all.

I would also download, install, run, update then run a full scan of SUPERAnti-spyware, (SAS), from SUPERAntiSpyware.

Mark

Collapse -
Additional details...
by GeoK6868 / March 21, 2012 10:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Strange one

Thank you for your suggestions.

I failed to mention earlier that Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) had already been started with same symptoms.

I did try it in Safe Mode with Networking, but had the same results.

CCleaner is one of my most recommended applications to free up space. I had already used it to clear internet history and temp files.

I did install SAS, updated to the most recent database version and ran a scan. Did find some items that were not detected before. Rebooted, ran CCleaner, and opened Internet Explorer. Unfortunately, the same symptoms prevail.

Does anyone know of a scan tool used to check integrity of operating system or application files?

Thank you for all the help and suggestions.

Collapse -
Scan tool
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 21, 2012 10:20 PM PDT

I'm not convinced, but try this;

Open a Command Prompt, type in sfc /scannow

For clarity, that is SFC {space} /SCANNOW

Here's a description of what it does; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

You may need the Vista Setup DVd.

Mark

Collapse -
Followup...
by GeoK6868 / March 26, 2012 9:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Scan tool

I was not aware of the System File Checker.

The scan revealed the corrupted file. After hours of searching and trial and error I determined that it would be best to reinstall the OS. The system is now working as expected.

Thank you for your time and suggestions.

GeoK

Collapse -
Nice work
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 26, 2012 8:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Followup...

It seems the OS damage was too deeped for SFC to fix it, and looks like your only course of action was that reinstall.

Good work for getting that done successfully.

Mark

Collapse -
PS. Forgot one thing. The IE CACHE
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2012 3:58 AM PDT

Try CCLEANER and have it clean all IE things.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.