Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

website building tool recommendations?

by lafmonster / February 20, 2008 1:00 AM PST

Does anyone have any recommendations for a website building tool (with the option not to use their hosting or domain) for a couple of small non-profit organizations with small budgets (who do not want to pay a monthly fee) and a volunteer staff (that does not know HTML)? Ideally to work on both MAC & PC?

for example - have any thoughts on these?:

webstudio.com
web.com
homestead.com
liveaps.com
coffeecup.com
EZGenerator.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: website building tool recommendations?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: website building tool recommendations?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Given such low requirements, any will do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2008 1:08 AM PST

Even the free Composer in Seamonkey can "make a website" without HTML knowledge.

Is the bar this low?

Bob

Collapse -
yes the bar is that low
by lafmonster / February 20, 2008 3:06 AM PST

The volunteers who will be creating & maintaining the sites are new to computers/internet (mostly seniors 65-80).

What may seem simple (or low bar) to you may overwhelm the volunteers.

It would be great to find something that is extremely non-techie user friendly.

Collapse -
Then use your softwares
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2008 3:15 AM PST

And as to learning, there are too many pages on the web out there. I might not duplicate the easy answers. That is, look on google.com for WEB PAGE TUTORIAL.

Bob

Collapse -
not what I'm looking for
by lafmonster / February 20, 2008 3:34 AM PST

I understand what you are encouraging, however the volunteers have already expressed no desire to go near HTML.

They want to move boxes & play with templates. If < > is involved forget about it.

One volunteer wants to go with the template packages at GoDaddy, but the association does not want to authorize the monthly expense.

My task is to find a handful of potential solutions with associated costs for them to vote on.

Collapse -
Zero cost.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2008 3:37 AM PST
Collapse -
great suggestion
by lafmonster / February 20, 2008 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: Zero cost.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

They would like to stay ad free which the zero cost GeoCities is not.
Also they already have a domain/hosting paid for the year. Originally I was looking to find a solution with that in mind.

Perhaps they should just switch hosts and go with the template pkg on GoDaddy or Yahoo GeoCities. The cost (ad free, with email & hosting) are about the same.

Collapse -
Just checked on my geocities and the ad free is free now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2008 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: great suggestion

Sorry but it's hard to keep up with what's out there.

Collapse -
CMS
by entrecon / February 20, 2008 4:00 AM PST

depending on the host, what about going with a CMS like Joomla, mambo, or any others people might suggest.

Collapse -
I have a few recommendations...
by Dylan Hilton-221630928962 / March 20, 2008 6:50 AM PDT

I would recommend Notepad2 and HTML Kit. I know Notepad2 is on Download.com, but I'm not sure about HTML Kit. Just Google it. (;

Collapse -
Wordpress
by Sovereign Forum moderator / March 22, 2008 6:45 AM PDT

It's what I use for my clients who quickly want to add and edit certain content. It doesn't get any easier than Wordpress (which also has the fexibility if they choose to someday).

~Sovereign

Collapse -
We'd Be Happy To Help
by fletchnz / December 22, 2008 2:18 AM PST

Hi, I picked up this thread in a Google alert. I'd be happy to supply a few private beta accounts for liveaps.com - we're not releasing V2.0 until 1st Feb, but do have V1.0 on our servers and I'd be happy to help. If you'd like me to set this up you can register at the (above) website - use the promo code 'cnet' and I'll get onto it.

Collapse -
Tools for build sites
by Josepe-sv / December 22, 2008 7:24 AM PST
In reply to: We'd Be Happy To Help

For internet 2.0 sites the best is Joomla... Mambo was leave without updates since 2006.
With Joomla you can build forums using Fireboard extension for Joomla. For interactive pages, let the users write opinions, you can use Jommla Comments, another extension. To play photos you can use the Frontpage Slideshow.
There are hundred of templates, extension for languajes, etc, etc.

Collapse -
I would suggest HotDoodle.com
by Coolarj10 / December 23, 2008 11:21 AM PST

Well, the website making company that I've found works best and is easy to use (but still has powerful features) is HotDoodle.

You have the option to use your own domain name, although I guess it does have a 9.95/month hosting fee...

But it's free for 90 days, and you don't need ANY html or coding experience at all. It's as easy as clicking and adding text, or clicking and adding a picture, or newsletter, or articles, files, etc. It works like the "move blocks around" concept that you said.

I would suggest going to HotDoodle.com and clicking "Do It Yourself", because you can select a template and try editing it without providing any information (without registering or anything). Who knows, 9.95/month may be insignificant for you, and it may prove well worth it since it's so easy to maintain and make changes to your site without any prior experience.

Collapse -
I forgot to mention...
by Coolarj10 / December 23, 2008 11:26 AM PST

I forgot to mention - HotDoodle is also a CMS (content management system)

I'm not sure what your organizations need a website for, but on HotDoodle you could do stuff like have a contact form, allow people to register and sign up for a newsletter that you can broadcast straight through the website, have a PayPal button that allows others to donate, you get your own email addresses.

You can also set different levels of permissions, so lower level officers are only allowed to edit certain parts of the site while administrators have full control.

If your non-profit organization was for a community of people, you could allow people to register, and your website would automatically give them a member page that they have access to editing, and can upload their picture and put in a biography of themselves, a message board, and whatnot.

Again, this is all possible without coding or HTML, like you wanted.

Collapse -
web to date 6.0
by Chao-Zu / October 13, 2009 6:34 PM PDT

web to date from Data Becker (www.todate.com) is a easy to use website builder. The installation is simple and all plugins and designs are available immediately.

Collapse -
I agree with some guys..
by eddiesydfrey / October 14, 2009 4:47 AM PDT

I feel that grown-ups would like Joomla or WordPress, they are pretty simple to use.

Geocities are thing of the past now, Yahoo! will close it before the end of this year. I guess they are not profiting from it anymore.

I would add, that Joomla has a good Video Tutorial on Lynda.com. It's very easy to understand and good for senior citizens.

For WordPress, there are many videos at Youtube you can use as teaching aids. They are all free.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.