Computer Help forum

General discussion

Webshots program technical problem.

by cnangel1997 / July 6, 2006 12:53 PM PDT

I have windows xppro installed. I have a problem with my webshots. Doesn't show my collection of pics file when I do a search of webshots. It did in the past. I would do a backup, and the pics would be there to upload back on my pc if I needed too. I also had backup the webshots program. I am a premium member of this webshots website. Some how I have deleted the file that shows the collections, or some how I moved it somewhere. I am not an expert with computers. Just average. How do I fix the problem without having to start over with another download of the program from the website? I don't want to lose my downloaded pics again. If you download webshots program, a second time, it deletes all your pics, and I don't want to start over again. I have alot of them. I would appreciate any help on this matter, so I don't have to hire a tech to come in my home, and fix the problem.
Thanks for your service!
cnangel

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Webshots program technical problem.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Webshots program technical problem.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe your already doing this
by eddie11013 / July 7, 2006 3:53 AM PDT

Not sure I understand but if I need to uninstall Webshots, this is what I do so I don?t lose my ?collection? and have to redownload them again. Go to: C:\ Documents and Settings \ UserName (In my case I?m the Administrator) \ My Documents \ Webshots Data - Save the Webshots Data folder onto My Downloads CD or some other ?Folder?. Uninstall Webshots. Afterwards: When I want to reinstall Webshots, I do the following: - copy the Webshots Data folder back to ?C:\ Documents and Settings \ Administrator \ My Documents \ Webshots Data - Reinstall Web shots. Webshots will ?find? your collection.
Good luck,
Eddie

Collapse -
Webshots problem
by cnangel1997 / July 7, 2006 7:00 AM PDT

Eddie,
Thanks for reponding to my problem. Yes, I did make a copy of my webshots pics and placed instead in My pictures folder, instead of the Download folder. You think that is what created my problem? I am the adminstrator of my pc. (After my backup, I downloaded webshots three times, hoping I would get results. But to no avail, I still have the problem. After I do a backup copy, I looked at webshot files, only shows my past collections of pics, not the current pics I downloaded the other day. Also, when I open a webshot pic from my pictures, the webshot program will open, but will not go to the catetory that my picture is in. Remains on the last catetory I was in. Does this info help more? Thanks for taking the time to help me. So appreciative.
Debra

Collapse -
placed instead in My pictures folder
by eddie11013 / July 7, 2006 11:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Webshots problem

Hi Debra,
If you have "not" reformatted your computer then your "file/collection" should be in your My Pictures folder. The thing is that when you "reinstall" Webshots, the program installs to its default location, which is C:\Documents..Admin...My Docs..Webshots Data. Any new pictures downloaded from then on go into this folder. But all is not lost. Your "old" collection should still be in your My Pictures, its just that Webshots is not looking there. I would think that all you need to do is go to My Pictures and locate the Webshots data folder there, and copy and paste it to the C:\Documents...etc. Assuming this works, you could then delete the Webshots Data folder that you have in My Pictures. By the way, the pictures you downloaded from the ?net? are listed as ?albums?, you can?t really ?see? a photo. The photos that you imported into Webshots, using their program, from your ?My Pictures?, those photos you ?can? see, as pictures in the album that you created. Just an FYI.
Debra, I hope this helps, if not post back,
Good Luck,
Eddie

Collapse -
Webshots
by cnangel1997 / July 9, 2006 3:31 PM PDT

Eddie,
I have not reformatted my pc. Over the weekend I did more research, I did a search, and shows my webshot files, with some dupilate. What I done before, best way to explain it, I went to start, rc open explore, I saw my files on the right. I MOVED my program file Webshots Data to My Documents. That was my first mistake I discovered. I had made a copy of Webshots Data which contained my pics. But I don't know if that is what caused my problem. Now that I found my pics in the search mode, I try to open them. It asked what program I want to open them in. When I looked at the programs, WEBSHOTS is not presence. So the pictures won't open there. They will in other photo programs. But that is not what I want to Achieve. So I dragged Webshots Data into the start and Programs opened, and I dragged the file, and make a copy in the Program column hoping that placing a copy of the file would resolve my problem. But still no success. It shows all my albums, but still the pics will not open in Webshots. Webshots program will open, but no pics will show up. Hope this better explains my problem. I did try a restore back to an earlier date, hoping it would fix my mistakes. But the Restore said it couldn't restore to the date I wanted, which was July 1st. My problem begin July 6th. I even tryed earlier date then July 1st, but it would not restore either. I could go back on Webshots and download all over again, but that is the last thing I want to do, if you can resolve my problem.

Thanks Eddie for your service. I so appreciate your time.
Debra

Collapse -
Webshots
by eddie11013 / July 11, 2006 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Webshots

Debra,
Couple of questions. 1) Does your Webshots Data ?folder? contain your pictures? If the answer is Yes. You need to move this folder so that it ends up here: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Webshots Data This ?folder? will ?only? contain the following: Albums, play list.txt and collections. The end result is that it needs to look like the following in the ?address box? along the top: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Webshots Data Nothing else will work.
2) Is the ?program? here: C:\Program Files\Webshots ? If not, you need to move it so that it looks like this when you click on it. This ?folder? C:\Program Files\Webshots should ?only? contain the following: Install.log, Launcher.exe, Webshots.scr and Unwise.exe
Let me know how you make out,
Good Luck,
Eddie

Collapse -
Webshots
by cnangel1997 / July 11, 2006 5:42 PM PDT

Eddie,
I had to move some files. Got everything up and running again, with all my pictures presence. But I have a problem. My screw up. It is kind of hard to explain, but here I go. Many hundreds of my pictures are in a wb1 file,(part of the problem I had before) and the jpeg pics I can view when I click the thumbnails. At first when everything came back to normal, and I would open my webshots launcher, all my pictures that were in a wb1 file changed to a jpeg, and I could see what the picture was. But when I went to my recyle bin to see all my webshot files I had moved to recyle, I notice I had a Playlist.txt file. I restored it back. It changed my playlist in my webshots Data from 2kb that was there,(I was thinking that I needed that playlist, so I did a restore. After that created the problem I am now having. This kb a 69. The one in my webshots data was only a 2kb, and I have a large collection albums. My playlist is now 71kb. Does it have to go back to the 2kb? I don't know anything about this file, expect it stores my albums. Any way, when I did that step, it changed those pics back to a wb1 file, and now I can't view my photos in a thumbnail, when I open the file.

How do I get the program to change back all those pics, all at one time, back to a jpeg? Cause when I open the file, it will open my webshots program, but it won't go to that picture file, the program will just stay on whatever pic I had prior to this mess I created. Hope you understand what I am trying to say. Also, when I do a search mode and put webshots in, it shows hundreds of files, some dupilicates. Would it be in my best interest to delete those files? Are just leave it alone. I don't want to make it worst, then I already done.

Eddie,
When I got everything back to normal, I was so proud of myself, and I was so excited, that I had worked my problem out with your help. (I hope I still don't have to call in a professional to my home to resolve my new problem.) Could not have done it on my own. So thank you very much.

Collapse -
Webshots
by cnangel1997 / July 11, 2006 5:43 PM PDT

Eddie,
I had to move some files. Got everything up and running again, with all my pictures presence. But I have a problem. My screw up. It is kind of hard to explain, but here I go. Many hundreds of my pictures are in a wb1 file,(part of the problem I had before) and the jpeg pics I can view when I click the thumbnails. At first when everything came back to normal, and I would open my webshots launcher, all my pictures that were in a wb1 file changed to a jpeg, and I could see what the picture was. But when I went to my recyle bin to see all my webshot files I had moved to recyle, I notice I had a Playlist.txt file. I restored it back. It changed my playlist in my webshots Data from 2kb that was there,(I was thinking that I needed that playlist, so I did a restore. After that created the problem I am now having. This kb a 69. The one in my webshots data was only a 2kb, and I have a large collection albums. My playlist is now 71kb. Does it have to go back to the 2kb? I don't know anything about this file, expect it stores my albums. Any way, when I did that step, it changed those pics back to a wb1 file, and now I can't view my photos in a thumbnail, when I open the file.

How do I get the program to change back all those pics, all at one time, back to a jpeg? Cause when I open the file, it will open my webshots program, but it won't go to that picture file, the program will just stay on whatever pic I had prior to this mess I created. Hope you understand what I am trying to say. Also, when I do a search mode and put webshots in, it shows hundreds of files, some dupilicates. Would it be in my best interest to delete those files? Are just leave it alone. I don't want to make it worst, then I already done.

Eddie,
When I got everything back to normal, I was so proud of myself, and I was so excited, that I had worked my problem out with your help. (I hope I still don't have to call in a professional to my home to resolve my new problem.) Could not have done it on my own. So thank you, thank you, so very much.

Collapse -
by eddie11013 / July 12, 2006 1:17 AM PDT

Debra, glad to see you're making progress.
1) (?)Many hundreds of my pictures are in a wb1 file?and the jpeg pics I can view when I click the thumbnails?.all my pictures that were in a wb1 file changed to a jpeg, and I could see what the picture was. -- An ?Album?, will or can, contain a ?lot? of wb1 files. As I mentioned before, pictures you download from the web, you can?t see, but pictures you input from your computer, you cannot see. This might be OK. - Refer also to answer #3
2) (?) changed my playlist in my webshots Data from 2kb?I did a restore?playlist kb a 69...I have a large collection albums?My playlist is now 71kb -- Does this playlist contain duplicate ?albums?? - Since you have ?hundreds of pictures? this ?might? be OK, but it is just a ?list? - My list, with just a few pictures is only 420 Bytes (1,000 Bytes = 1kb). In addition, if you look at any ?word? document you have on your computer you will see that a ?small? document might only have, say 11kb vs. a larger one might have over a 100kb?s. On a related note, my Webshots Data ?folder? is 4.5MB. And I only have a few pictures in it. Yours must be ?huge?.
3) (?) changed those pics back to a wb1 file, and now I can't view my photos in a thumbnail, when I open the file?How do I get the program to change back all those pics, all at one time, back to a jpeg?..my recycle bin to see all my webshot files I had moved to recycle -- No answer, accept refer to answer Number One above ?AND? are the files in your recycle bin ?pictures?? If so, maybe this is part of the problem and they need to be in that ?Webshots Data? folder? You could try moving one or two to see what happens. Worse case, doesn?t do anything and you just send it back to recycle bin. Make note of the file name so you can find it easily when you search for it.
4) (?) Cause when I open the file, it will open my webshots program, but it won't go to that picture file, the program will just stay on whatever pic I had prior to this mess I created -- Don?t understand this part. Do you mean when you click on C:\Program Files\Webshots and then click on Launcher.exe and then click on ?All Topics?, you only see ?one? picture? And the ?collection? only showing one photo? -- ?OR? are you talking about the pictures you have here: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Documents\My Pictures? (Which should not have anything to do with Webshots program!)
5) (?) when I do a search mode and put webshots in, it shows hundreds of files, some duplicates. Would it be in my best interest to delete those files? Are just leave it alone -- Until the issue is resolved, do not delete anything. Do Not run any ?disc cleanup? programs either.
Let me know if we are on the right track,
Eddie

Collapse -
In addition, "I am a Premium Member"
by eddie11013 / July 12, 2006 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply

Debra,
Progress is being made, but don't forget that you can contact Webshots directly. Saying you are a member, they can also help.
Eddie

Collapse -
Webshots
by cnangel1997 / July 12, 2006 11:04 AM PDT

Eddie,
I tried everything you suggested. I even tried a System Restore for July 10th. But no luck for restoring back my pc. I do have a huge collection 644 MB. I love pictures. I used Webshots for my screen saver. It has taken me along time to download so many pics. Any more suggestions that might help me? Every time I have contacted Webshots, I haven't had success with my issues. But will contact them again, and ask them how do get my wb1 pics to change to a jpeg. Again thank you so, so much for serving me. I do so appreciate your help. I just wish I would of used my brain, before I restored that playlist. I had everything working the way I wanted it too.
Debra

P.S.
I am also having a small problem with my notebook. I am trying to do a backup of kodak easyshare photo albums. When I go to do it, my pc does not recogize a drive to do my backup with a cd-R. My notebook is a cd/cd burner/dvd player combo. Any suggestions on that. I hate to lose my digital pics, and this Kodak photo program will not let me transfer the pictures into another photo program, or back into my camera.
Thanks for any help rendered.

Collapse -
Webshots & Notebook
by eddie11013 / July 13, 2006 12:18 AM PDT

Debra,
Sorry I couldn't help. Suggest you open a new discussion in the PC Applications & Utilities forum. Maybe one of the "Mod's" can help. One final note/?, could you please clarify: "4) (?) Cause when I open the file...". How many photos are listed in 'Collection'? Have you tried to click on "Add more Photos-My Computer-Add photos stored in my computer" or clicked on Edit Collection?
Regarding the 'Notebook' issue, maybe open a new discussion in the "Notebook" forum. I don't know anything about Notebooks. Are you saying that when you Right Click on Start/Explore, that your CD burner "Drive" is not listed? "D" or "E", etc.? If it is listed, are you than saying that when you open the CD burner software program that it cannot find the "Kodak easyshare photo albums folder" to copy and burn? When you open the CD burner program, usually there is a "Help", in it an "About", this will list the version number. Have you checked that you have the latest 'driver version' for this CD burner program? Sometimes there is a link to click on to check for latest version or you can go to 'company' website to check. Also, there are 'other' burner programs, for free, that one can download that might work in case 'your' program is the issue. Be sure and state what kind of program you have. Just some points to consider.
Good luck,
Eddie

Collapse -
Webshots
by cnangel1997 / July 13, 2006 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Webshots & Notebook

Eddie,
Got a reply from Webshots today. They say I can't change the file from the wp1 to a jpeg, because of the copyright law, and they are all encryted. They think I want to print out the photo's. So not true.
So what I may do, is try and put all the files I moved, back to where they were, (all out of correct order, and then move them again to the correct order, and hope it all goes sucessful.)
My pictures are all in the webshots collections Eddie, it was to clarify #4 question, when I open a file that contains my webshot pic, and double click the file, it is suppose to open in webshots program, (which it does) but should go to that particular album. Example: Topic: Celebrities Pic:John Denver (If I click the John Denver photo, should open directly to Celebrities and open to where John Denver Album is, and the pic will go to the image that is in the file I am trying to open. I know, I lost you didn't I Eddie.) Well thanks for all your help. You helped alot, believe me. I'm so apprective to have a help forum to come to. Saves a lot of money for a pro to come in your home.

Notebook: Yes my pc does not recogize a drive for my cd burner, It might need a driver update. My photo program when I go to burn a cd of my photo's, says there is no drive. I'll do some more research, and see what I can come up with.

Again thanks for everything. Best to you!
Debra Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.