The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Webshots, Flickr or Picasa which is Best?

by bb692 / April 4, 2007 5:06 AM PDT

I am trying to create a web site on public spaces without getting my own hosting service. Google Page creator seams fine, but there is a space restriction. Photos take up a lot of space and would soon burn up that 100 meg limit. Solution, offline the photos to a different service and reference them in the IMG HTML tag. This works great. Now which service to use. Flickr and Picasa have a space limits too, but Webshots seems to have a limit that grows per month. Flickr has a terms of use agreement that restricts direct linking without going thru a flicker page(ugh), Webshots has no restriction. In fact web shots has a button the says publish, and gives you 3 choices to publish plus size the image. I just select the size, cut the URL and past it into Google Page creator image URL link field and snap. Seamless integration. Dose it get better? Are there other alternatives? What is the Best practice. Veronica how about a face off?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Webshots, Flickr or Picasa which is Best?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Webshots, Flickr or Picasa which is Best?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Uploader
by tcardone05 / April 4, 2007 2:21 PM PDT

Webshots has an unlimited uploader at http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/, and gives you the code and links, but i cannot tell if you can go back to the picture's code after your cookies reset.

Collapse -
i like picasa
by aribeiro2 / April 4, 2007 2:37 PM PDT

you can download picasa, which is wayy too handy when it comes to fast photograph editing...
it makes miracles in 1, 2 or 3 steps!

then, if you have a google account, you just press "upload to picasaweb"
and it's there!

you can view it easily, and then show it to your friends... they can even use the slideshow mode...

flickr is nice, and has the "cool factor"...
but my oscar goes to picasa+picasaweb
Grin

Collapse -
there are pros for both
by rockinphotognyc / April 4, 2007 11:36 PM PDT

I use both,

Picasa:
-easy uploading of an entire album to a private page which you can share with a nice html email invite.
-best for sharing whole albums
-easy export from iPhoto
-I use this for contact sheets of shoots

Flickr:
-tagging
-best for organizing your own photos
-static urls for photos. (they are not going to go after you for linking to the image)
-I use this for my personal photos and the photos I host for my blog.

Collapse -
linking to photos
by bb692 / April 4, 2007 11:48 PM PDT

Since this is my main objective it would seem that the STATIC URL is very important. Other things are of less interest. I take it from your list that Picasa doesn't allow linking to photos via static links? That would be a little short sided of them...

Collapse -
Did some experimentation last night.
by bb692 / April 4, 2007 11:44 PM PDT

Webshots: Even thought there is no limit on the # of photos, there seems to be a restriction on using the photos linked into other websites. Yes, they provide 3 types of linking methods and code to cut and paste, but there seems to be a limit on the size you can reference thought linking. The max seems to be 600 pixels. If you want to see the original size, you need to navigate to the Webshots site.

Flickr: Even thought there are terms of use, the supply a URL link to use in linking you picture to a web sight or blog. There is a soft caution, but there don't seem to stern about it. It retains the actual photo size when you click on the photo.

I will play a little with Picasa next and report back.

Collapse -
Free options...
by udayan71 / April 5, 2007 9:14 PM PDT

Flickr: UGH! 200 photo limit!
Zooomr: Good stuff, fairly unknown but irritating upload process.
Webshots with Picture Sync: Sooo hopeful the CNET lustre will make it as good as the rest of CNET. So far so good.
Picasa: Next up.

Collapse -
Flickr is great
by RoboticUAV / April 6, 2007 1:04 AM PDT

I use Flickr for uploading and sharing photos, for quick editing I use Serif PhotoPlus.

Collapse -
How about Photobucket?
by tfizzle / April 6, 2007 10:59 AM PDT

I've been using it for years. There is a limit but offers hotlinking and some pretty cool slideshows. It even has its own web browser with a fast uploader.

http://www.photobucket.com

Collapse -
I am not big at all on photos
by Alegoo92 / April 6, 2007 11:13 AM PDT

But whenever I need to embed pictures I use photobucket.. It's simple/unlimited/free. Why not use that?

Good luck!

Alex

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.