Computer Help forum

by SeafarerChief / October 17, 2012 1:01 PM PDT

That great screensaver and photo sharing etc. program called Webshots is going to be no more.
However, they (the new owners) decided to install their new program (called SMILE) on my Laptop, Automatically when I logged in to the site. No Warning, No asking permission just started to install it. I thought I was being "hijacked" and tried everything to stop it but some or most of it got thru before I just powered down.
At the next boot up. it started all over again but I got it to stop installing and attempted to Uninstall it the correct way.. No Joy.. had to restore the lap top to an earlier date ... however there is still something left over and I can't find it... I just go to "hibernate" to avoid a new boot sequence which kicks it in... I don't want to let it complete but may have to.. HELP

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Webshots
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Webshots
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What you likely did ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 17, 2012 1:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Webshots
Collapse -
did that. no joy from them
by SeafarerChief / October 17, 2012 10:34 PM PDT

I did the contact support thing... got answer that didn't address my concern.
Just a we are in the process of changing everything over to "Smile" and
can't really help you now you dumba$$. (that was my word)
Here's the latest reply: Which will cause me to wait until they get it up.

Re: incomplete uninstall of your "smile" software

Smile | OCT 18, 2012 | 02:40AM UTC
Thank you for your email. We have received your request and are working on responding. Due to the recent transfer from one company to another and the result of many support questions and concerns, response times may vary. We are doing our best to promptly resolve your concerns. In the meantime, please see our FAQ to see if there is an answer to your question:

Collapse -
problem solved no thanks to them
by SeafarerChief / October 18, 2012 11:31 PM PDT

I finally resorted to a restore to a prior date before all this happened.

FYI a normal "uninstall" does not remove the software completely, it finishes with a message that all files could not be removed and must be done manually... However, and here's the rub, no amount of "delete" file removes them... on the message , you don't have permission to do this" even logged in as administrator.
And I fully believe that its their (SMILE formerly WEBSHOTs) software that is causing that problem.

Trying to contact anyone at their site is like trying to nail jello to a tree.

as noted in my first line. I fixed my problem... but I don't recommend anyone using their new program.
which btw will not be free.
I quit.

Collapse -
Ok now what
by SeafarerChief / October 20, 2012 4:24 AM PDT

After successfully killing all the "Smile" crap that got installed... I have remaining a folder labeled "SMILE"
and it's sub-folder labeled "Streams" and a file in it (how it got there I haven't a clue) named Midsomer Murders....

I cannot delete this folder... period.
I get a message that it really isn't there but I should remove the "icon" manually...
What the heck is this? Icon... I don't see no stinking "ICON"

I have used Trend Micro secure erase and it gives me essentially the same message.

I have relocated the offending file to my "desktop" and even tried deleting it there ... no joy.

Now What do I do?

Collapse -
Safe Mode as Administrator?
by mchainmchain / October 20, 2012 5:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok now what

Tried that yet?

Sometimes a running program will deny access to admin account while it is running. Safe Mode does not run programs that normally start and run in normal user mode; only Windows runs.

You should be able to remove the files/folders using the normal delete method within Windows. Just be careful of what you actually do remove, as Windows will not warn you with the typical "access denied" error should you try to delete a needed system file by accident. If you remove one of those, you will be in worse straits than before.

Just be careful here.

Collapse -
Tried that yet?
by SeafarerChief / October 20, 2012 6:52 AM PDT

I will try that

Since there seems to be no system files in the folder it's worth a shot.
My Trend Micro secure remove/delete reports that the files and/or folder aren't even there
Not sure what's happening here ..
Safe mode is worth a look see

Collapse -
Running in Safe Mode did not resolve the problem
by SeafarerChief / October 21, 2012 12:31 AM PDT

All attempts to delete the folder and it's subfolder result in a statement that:

"The file or folder no longer exists or has been moved"

Now What? I've run out of solutions and ideas.

Note: I did not enter "safe mode" as "Administrator: I haven't a clue how to do that.

Did I miss something?

Collapse -
In cases like this ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 21, 2012 1:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
Operating system is Vista Home Premium SP2
by SeafarerChief / October 21, 2012 2:13 AM PDT
In reply to: In cases like this ...

Yes I understand that I should "boot to a disk" and not my HD...
Any thing about Win7 is a waste of time since I don't have WIN7

I even used DOS commands RD - erase etc...
Answer back... no such file or folder exists.

How can that be when the folder(s) exist in plain sight in Win and in DOS

Collapse -
Actually it's well known
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2012 2:36 AM PDT

That rootkits can do that PLUS Explorer can show things that are not on the HDD.

Ever find the folder called "My Computer". Neither have I.

There are also issues in the errors that MSFT OSes spit back. I've seen it spew "not found" when it really should have said "denied."

OK, what to do? I boot up UBUNTU from a LiveCD and get it over with. No install required.

Collapse -
Re: plain sight
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 21, 2012 3:42 AM PDT

Vista has no DOS. And if you boot from a DOS diskette, it can't read the NTFS file system. So what you say there is impossible.

Since we can't see your monitor, we don't know what part of Windows shows exactly what "in plain sight".
And since we don't know what the command prompt shows and what you typed in, we can't have any opinion about how right or wrong that message is.

By the way, tells how to get the equivalent of the recovery console in Windows Vista.

Collapse -
Plain sight
by SeafarerChief / October 21, 2012 5:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: plain sight

Well Kees_B
I used the command prompt and used what I thought were old DOS commands and no joy.
I don't need to "recover" Windows Vista since I haven't "lost" window... It's working just find except for that durn folder and it's sub-folder and file.

Any command (Windows or Command Prompt vers of DOS) simply gives the reply that it really isn't there, it's just my imagination that I'm seeing it.

I don't want to do a complete "Rescue Disc or Restore my computer. (Restore didn't remove it either, by the way) using normal system restore options...

I may have to resort to a complete system wipe and re-install from the original discs.
I just will lose all my stored files and data... but so be it.
That will be my last resort... I can live with the durn thing sitting on my desktop staring back at me... Thanks to all for all your advice and assistance... let's close this topic down now

Collapse -
Just move it out of the way then.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 21, 2012 5:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Plain sight

From the desktop where you see it every day to some folder you never look in.
You say you moved it to the desktop yourself, so you should be able to move it elsewhere also.

Collapse -
Just move it out of the way then.
by SeafarerChief / October 21, 2012 6:59 AM PDT

Done, Thanks... what a brilliant idea..

Now when I do Restore back to "what came in the box" I won't have to worry 'bout it

Collapse -
Thanks for the heads up
by Sunsetlover / October 20, 2012 11:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Webshots

Another questionable ethics photo hosting site.

And what happened to all the photos people had posted?

Collapse -
What happened to all the photos people had posted
by SeafarerChief / October 20, 2012 10:15 PM PDT

Well SunsetLover.
They say that all photos posted by the member can be downloaded to their personal computer.
I tried that... no joy no option to "download" ... however I was able to "delete" all of them..

And yes I question their ethics since their software caused me so much trouble and their replies
were all about how great they were gonna be no tech help at all

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.