Computer Help

General discussion

Webcam driver open failed chicony 2.0

by abiarz / February 17, 2010 3:06 PM PST

i am using Toshiba Satellite L310. I'm using vista ultimate home edition. I tried starting my webcam it said '' webcam driver open failed. you need restart your camera or computer''. i tried restart my computer and my camera so many times and i installed and reinstall so many taimes too but, nothing solved. does anyone know how solved this problem?? thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Webcam driver open failed chicony 2.0
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Webcam driver open failed chicony 2.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Camera driver
by Phil Crase / February 17, 2010 11:11 PM PST

Sounds as if the camera driver went south. Go into device manager and see if there is an error issue shown on the camera driver, yellow question mark or asterisk. If there is an error shown, try to re install and/or update from that location.

Collapse -
Webcam driver open failed chicony 2.0
by abiarz / February 21, 2010 10:04 PM PST
In reply to: Camera driver

thank you for the reply... I already did that but it's still the same?

Collapse -
How to fix your Chicony Cam
by Troubleshoot_Chic / November 8, 2011 11:28 PM PST
In reply to: Camera driver

Ok I have Toshiba Satellite A305-S6905 Window 7 and my webcan also crashed so I started fooling around. At first I uninstalled the driver and uploaded the latest version from the Toshiba driver website..thats DID NOT WORK, I then fooled around some more with it and I uninstalled SKYPE that I had on my computer, then went back to the toshiba website and installed the Chicony 2.0 driver again, to my astonishment it worked. I can now conclude that SKYPE was interfering with my Chicony webcam, and it even seemed like the SKYPE program disabled my webcam because I used to get an error message stating that the webcan was disabled or has failed and to resolve i should change settings.... Also, as a precaution I also downloaded the latest Utility Driver for windows 7 for my toshiba modle.
So guys take it from this chic your SKYPE program is interfering with your Chicony webcam program so if you dont use skype just uninstall it and get the Chicony driver from Toshiba support website (Iris) and remember to reboot your pc when you are done.

Collapse -
You didn't tell.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2010 10:17 PM PST
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp does not list a L310.

Try the toshiba site in the country this model came from. Since you didn't tell I can't guess.

Also, the L310 is the SERIES and not the model number. Be sure to post such details if you want others to find a driver for you.
Bob
Collapse -
temperamental fix
by sunnydie / March 13, 2010 12:29 AM PST
In reply to: You didn't tell.

I was able to fix the problem with the lost webcam driver in the Imaging Devices file (I have a Toshiba Satellite a305-s6905, Vista OS, Chicony 2.0 USB webcam). I don't know what fixed it, because I've tried so many things. When I was at my "wits end," I turned the computer over so that I could locate the serial number--I was going to contact Toshiba. As I was locating the serial number, I heard the computer make a "beep," as if it was notifying me of something. A message said that the Chicony webcam driver was loaded. When I checked the Imaging Devices file, the webcam was now in there. I tested the webcam and it worked fine. Then I adjusted the monitor, so it was at a 45-degree angle with the keyboard---and the webcam driver DISAPPEARED again. So, it took the same action as before; I turned the computer so that I could see the serial number, and the driver re-appeared. Everytime I adjust the monitor to a 45-degree angle, the webcam disappears; if I ajust it to less than 45-degrees, it reappears. Any advice on what the problem is, and how I can fix it permanently??? Thanks!

Collapse -
You solved it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2010 12:36 AM PST
In reply to: temperamental fix

Your post contains the answer. You found that it works at some but not all angles of the laptop lid. This means it's a cable or connector issue. Order new cables and replace them.
Bob

Collapse -
problem solve
by abiarz / March 13, 2010 8:53 PM PST
In reply to: You solved it.
Collapse -
Sorry but are you sunnydie?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2010 11:11 PM PST
In reply to: problem solve

Your reply seems to apply to your issue and not sunnydie's.

Collapse -
no, that is not sunnydie
by sunnydie / March 14, 2010 3:04 AM PDT

that person must have mis-posted.

Collapse -
About Camera Assistand software for Toshiba Satellite L310
by lenlen13 / May 25, 2010 9:34 PM PDT
In reply to: You didn't tell.

good evening..I'm now using a Toshiba Pro satellite L310, Vista which I purchased from the Philippines.

Recently, I had trouble with my camera. When I installed a new driver it worked for few days only. After that, the camera can't be loaded. So I went to toshiba website and got the same driver for the chicony camera but it's still not working. The message appears like this:
"Webcam driver open fail. Please restart the computer or the camera".

I did restart and reinstall my PC for so many times but the same message appears. When I check the status of the camera through Device Manager --> Imaging Device, there was no error on it and it says it's working.

Please help me with this problem.

Collapse -
The usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2010 9:40 PM PDT

Try the above and then restore from the factory images or recovery media. If the web cam fails with the factory load then the machine needs repairs.

Be aware that repair out of warranty is in the few hundred dollar range so the cheap fix is to use any other USB camera.
Bob

Collapse -
chicony camera problem
by lenlen13 / May 25, 2010 9:54 PM PDT
In reply to: The usual.

I see..I'll do that then..thanks a lot..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.