Computer Help forum

Web page "not responding" contantly. Please help.

by Coco-77 / January 21, 2012 10:32 PM PST

I have an Acer Aspire One netbook
It runs Windows 7 Starter
I use Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox,
this problem accures on both and it's on almost every site I visit.
If you need more info just ask, I'm sure I can figure out any other details that may be helpful. I'm not tech savy, this is actually my first computer so anyone who knows what to do about this would really be my hero.
.....Oh yeah I have some McAfee thing on here that came free with the computer but I don't know if it's any good. It never finds anything in the scans.
I know computers usually come with a bunch of unneeded crap on them but I don't know if I'm missing anything important aside from alot of security.
All I like to do mainly is surf and do research, I don't do downloads (except the Mozilla), and I enjoy an occational youtube vid. Other than that I don't know what else to say. If you need more info, like I said, just ask. I hope I'll be able to figure it out.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Web page "not responding" contantly. Please help.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Web page "not responding" contantly. Please help.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Tell us
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 22, 2012 5:40 AM PST

about your internet connection. What type, (dial-up, ASDL, broadband), and what speed? Is this a wireless network connection? If so, what happens if you connect directly to the modem/router?

Collapse -
by Coco-77 / January 22, 2012 9:56 AM PST

I don't have a router so I'm plugged right into the modem. It's cable broadband from Cox but as for the speed, while they claim high speed, I can't figure out how fast it's supposed to be. But I'm sure it's alot slower than they say.

Collapse -
Try a speed test
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 22, 2012 7:43 PM PST
In reply to: COX

You can use CNET's own Bandwidth Meter to perform a speed test. Such speed tests only test the internet speed at the time of the test so they are an indication only, but it might be useful.

You mention a McAfee 'thing'. That doesn't tell us much but if McAfee has installed a browser add-on that checks all web sites as you visit them, that might be causing problems.

Other than that, I would now look at both IE and Firefox Add-ons to see if they are causing problems. You can test both as follows;

1] Internet Explorer - Goto Start > All programs > Accessories > System Tools > "Internet Explorer, (No Add-ons)", and click. This will open IE without any add-ons. If web pages load quicker in this mode then an add-on is causing problems and you can re-open IE in normal mode and review/eliminate the offensive add-on(s).

2] Open Firefox in it's Safe Mode configuration. Rather than tell you, follow the steps in the link below;

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.