Windows 7

Question

"Web page cannot be displayed" virus?

by ashleyjneale / August 11, 2012 3:53 AM PDT

Hello. When I log into the main user on my laptop, after a few seconds the screen will go blank and the "web page cannot be displayed" message will pop up. I can't get back to my desktop afterwards and I'm stuck with this weird message. I can press CTRL+ALT+DELETE which allows me to then open the task manager. This however appears for a split second above the web page thing, but then disappears.

I believe the message I'm getting is from IE, but I uninstalled that as soon as I bought my laptop so I'm presuming it's some sort of virus. Has it occurred before to anyone else?

Another thing, is that I can still use the guest user perfectly okay. So, as I went on the guest account I thought I ought to back up some of my files which I want the most. However, after a few seconds, it says "Windows Explorer is not responding" and then "Windows Explorer is restarting"... and it restarts unabling me to backup some files.

Whilst in My Documents I noticed a file which I had never seen before. It was some random letters and it's icon was a skull and crossbones. I sent it to the recycling bin, and then further deleted it. Was I supposed to do this?

I have Windows 7 and have only this laptop for about six months. Nothing like this has happened before so I'm quite worried. What can I do about this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Web page cannot be displayed" virus?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Web page cannot be displayed" virus?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Solution?
by r_m_webb / September 18, 2012 10:13 PM PDT

Hi there, I have exactly the same problem and despite searching the web and running multiple virus checks I'm unable to find a way to detect and remove the virus.

Were you able to find a solution?

Collapse -
All sorted.
by ashleyjneale / September 28, 2012 8:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Solution?

I never found a direct way of fixing it, but the problem is gone now. I can now use the main user on my laptop without of the problems.

It's just a theory, but it may have something to do with installing some Windows Updates. I can't think of anything else that I changed with my computer, but that.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
First let's cover how to get at your files.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2012 4:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks for the response.
by ashleyjneale / August 11, 2012 7:56 PM PDT

@1: Thank you for the link. I'll check it our and give it a go.

@2: No, not yet. How do I do that?

Collapse -
@2
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2012 2:33 AM PDT

Google this and pick the answer you understand.

Start Windows 7 in Safe Mode.

Collapse -
Update
by ashleyjneale / August 15, 2012 8:25 PM PDT
In reply to: @2

I started Windows 7 in Safe Mode, and it was fine. The IE message didn't appear and I managed to put some files onto a USB Memory Stick.

Another thing I noticed, was that this message seems to appear above everything, with Windows Explorer still running in the background due to the fact that I still hear noises from programs, such as Skype.

Collapse -
About Explorer in the background.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2012 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

Nothing wrong about that. The "Windows Shell" is Explorer so without it running you would not have a Windows Desktop (that display most folk see.)
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Windows 7
by leyonchung / August 12, 2012 7:30 PM PDT

If a Network Adapter is not available, you can use Microsoft Loopback adapter. For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

236869 How to Install Microsoft Loopback Adapter in Windows 2000
To create a Network Connection for use with Microsoft Loopback Adapter, do the following:
Right click My Network Places, and then click Properties.
Double-click Make New Connection, click Connect to Private Network through the Internet, and then click Next
For the Host name or IP address,
Make the connection for Yourself or Everyone, and then click Next.
Name the connection (for example, "Test VPN").
Click Finish, and then click Cancel.
If your computer is running Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition, you also need to follow these steps:
On the desktop, right-click My Network Places, click Properties, and then double-click Make New Connection.
Select Connect to Private Network through the Internet and click Next.
Select Automatically dial this initial connection and click Next.
For Host name or IP address.
For Create this connection, select either For all users or Only for myself and click Next.
Name the connection Test VPN and click Finish.
(In the Connect Test VPN dialog box)Click Cancel.
Right-click Internet Explorer, click Properties, and then click Connections.
Select Test VPN.
Select Dial whenever a network connection is not present.
Click Set default and click OK.
Click OK.
Start Internet Explorer and browse

Collapse -
Re: Windows 7
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 12, 2012 8:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows 7

I doubt if a solution that so clearly says it's for Windows 2000 will work in Windows 7.

And I doubt if for the problem mentioned a 'non available network adapter' is an applicable cause at all. It's nowhere mentioned in the posts above.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
I have the same problem
by Brum26 / August 17, 2012 1:25 AM PDT

I have exactly the same problem as youon Windows 7. The tab itself won't close and something is even stopping task manager from working. My guess is that it is a virus but I have no idea how to fix it. I have managed to login on as a guest and am currently running a full malwarebytes scan and also a microsoft security essentials scan but so far they don't appear to have detected anything.

I hope somebody comes along soon that can fix this.

Collapse -
Sounds too familiar
by ashleyjneale / August 17, 2012 11:39 PM PDT

My security programs don't pick up any viruses or trojans either, but I managed to start up my laptop fine in Safe Mode and everything was fine. I recovered some files and I've just stopped using my main user as it doesn't work. Just use a guest user for now.

Collapse -
Solution?
by r_m_webb / September 18, 2012 10:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Sounds too familiar

Hi there, I have exactly the same problem, and despite searching the web and trying multiple virus checks, I am unable to find any way to detect and remove the virus. Were you able to find solution to this?

Collapse -
Answer
Not a complete fix but might help...
by aimsbry / September 19, 2012 7:53 AM PDT

hey there,
i haven't a clue how this happened but i have just gone through the same thing. i managed to stop the program from running on start up and disabled it so that you will be able to log onto your normal account without this happening. here's what i did Happy
i ran windows in safe mode, went to system configuration, disabled the unknown .exe file which was something like bbminzarhn.exe (can't quite remember the exact name) then when i restarted it didn't try to run so i could use my desktop again. i did initially just go to the file location (which displays on system configuration) and delete it however i wasn't satisfied with this so i just did went from a restore point and bobs your uncle seems to have got rid of it!!
not really got any idea as to how it got on my laptop in the first place my initial thought was some naughty stuff but i'm pretty careful with that...the other thing i was trying to do was trying to install an add-on for firefox so that i could download videos from weblinks...all in all not going to be doing that again!
hope this helps anyway sorry not the most detailed but i'm not particularly well at the moment so not thinking all too clearly (probably why i got hit with this myself)

let me know you get on Grin

thanks

Aimsbry

Collapse -
Safe mode doesnt work anymore!! :(
by Deesara / September 28, 2012 6:21 AM PDT

Hi there,

1) I tried logging into safe mode and still I get this "Page cannot be displayed" page. So I don't have any chance to do a scan.
2) I did a rescue cd scan of AVG but it did not find any virus or anything.
3) I tried safe mode with networking with my internet turned on. This displayed a page with GEMA form, that asked me to pay something like $50 or something with all payment options like credit card or paypal and other such. It displayed my IP address on the same page. But I was not staying on the page for long before I rebooted my computer.

So my windows definitely seems like it is hacked. But I can't have a solution if I cannot open anyfile directly on windows.

However, I have a linux partition through which I can check or alter all my files in windows. But only if I know the root file of the virus I can remove/delete the virus. Could some one please help me?

Collapse -
Please start your own post...
by mchainmchain / September 28, 2012 9:13 AM PDT

@ aimsbry,

As it is buried in/under an old post beginning 8/12/2012. Issues with the OP (Original Poster) may or or may not have any relation to your current specific issues you are now having with your system. Every system issue is more or less specific only to that system and no other.

Safe mode w/o networking should give a no page found error since there is no internet connection.

In your new post created just for you, please tell us the name of the rogue program, operating system and other. See the "Please read before posting" note below the text box you use to reply/post. Include all details you thing relevant to get the help you require.

Collapse -
Answer
How to fix this issue
by AJCampbell91 / October 3, 2012 4:56 AM PDT

Hi,
Tonight I acquired and beat this virus, the trick to solving this issue is speed. The procedure for getting rid of this issue is actually quite simple the only problem is that once the 'web page cannot be displayed' page appears there is little to nothing you can do, at which point you will have to reset your computer/ laptop and start again. I did however come across a way to halt the page from appearing, I did this by quickly opening the task manager and ending a random process, by doing this the virus did not close the task manager and I was able to run a scan on my laptop by manually creating the scan process, however as you may all know the scan came back with nothing.

The way i solved this issue was by quickly initiating a system restore before the 'web page cannot be displayed' page appeared. Here are the steps for initiating a system restore:

1) Start (Windows)
2) All Programs
3) Accessories
4) System Tools
5) System Restore

In order for this to work you will need to be very fast and start the restore as soon as possible, I myself only barely started the system restore before the 'web page cannot be displayed' page appeared but, as i had already initialised the system restore, it was not interrupted and continued to complete the system restore afterwards the virus was gone and my laptop is now working fine, I immediately came here to post this solution to save people the frustration of trial and error. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Answer
Try this!
by systemspart / October 3, 2012 7:20 AM PDT

I have never had this problem but try resetting your network connections, going on save mode, or do a systems restore. Worse comes to worse, reinstall windows.

Collapse -
Answer
Aimsbury's fix worked for me
by OxWearingSocks / November 13, 2012 4:44 AM PST

Thanks Aimsbury - Your fix did the trick for me.

For anyone reading this because they have the 'virus', the way to get rid of it is to do:

1 Open Windows in Safe Mode (turn on your PC and hold F8). If you can't figure this out - Google it

2 When it loads, go to Start and in the "Search" box type msconfig and press enter

3 Choose the Startup Tab at the top of the new window

4 Look down the list for an item with a strange random lettered name (mine was idsifskdse.exe or similar). The command location of it will be in C:\Windows if I remember correctly

5 Untick this and click apply

6 Restart the PC - this time in normal mode. Windows should boot correctly.

7 I chose to restore windows to an earlier point (a week earlier, to be safe). You can Google how to do this if you don't. Search for 'System Restore'

I didn't delete the file like Aimsbury but it's probably a good idea to. Once I did the restore I couldn't find it again though, so hopefully it went. I'd recommend running a virus scan afterwards to be safe.

Thanks again Aimsbury.

FYI, I ended up with this after I tried to watch a dodgy stream of a movie forgetting I had disabled AdBlock Plus on Firefox. Moral of the tale is to go legit and buy the movie!! ...or don't turn ABP off Wink

Hope this helps someone else

Collapse -
Answer
web page cannot be displayed
by Rader461 / March 26, 2013 7:46 AM PDT

I found if I go IE tools ( top right corner next to the star icon) then scroll down to "Internet options".
Then open the last tab "advance" Then scroll down to the "security list".
Scroll down to the 12th listing. "enable enhanced protection mode" and enable it and click apply.
if it is already enabled. disable then press apply. then enable it again and press apply.
This is a temporary fix because I have to do this every time I open IE.
I'm still looking for a permanent fix

Collapse -
Answer
After Multiple Attmpted Fixes
by Bakerchez / December 6, 2013 8:15 AM PST

I found that Microsoft Safety Scan found a settings hijacker, "SettingsModifier:Win32/PossibleHostsFileHijack" that malwarebytes, superantispyware, semantic endpoint and a couple others missed. Removed it now it sems to work fine. I was getting the error on youtube, facebook and a couple news websites I would go to often. I got so frustrated I reformated, only to have the problem return after a week. Superantispyware has a repair option that kept me going for a few days, but after awhile even the repairs failed, and it never did find anything but tracking cookies. I was getting ready to do a restore, but tried the safety scan as a last option. So far its working great!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.