Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

Web Hosting Startup Question

by matt_ristine / May 22, 2011 2:46 PM PDT

I am starting a website that will sell a service (online golf lessons), in addition to offer some free golf instruction and link to my golf books on amazon. I am looking at starting the website with InMotion Hosting. It seems to have the capabilities I would need such as accepting payments via google checkout and ftp accounts to allow upload of videos, while keeping costs under control. Any thoughts on this idea? Would it be easy to upgrade to a higher level hosting service if the website were successful?

Comments and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Web Hosting Startup Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Web Hosting Startup Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
If they currently offer everything
by Sovereign Forum moderator / May 23, 2011 1:49 PM PDT

that your website requires, then yes, you can start with this and upgrade later. Make sure you register a domain separately (not with InMotion) so you don't depend on them unlocking it later if you decide to move to another host. Also, make sure they offer regular backups and also remember to make your own backups of your files and database.

Collapse -
Easy upgrade process
by whh-kevinw / June 6, 2011 3:04 AM PDT

At InMotion Hosting, upgrading is a fairly easy process and is completed by the technicians - you wouldn't be required to move over the files and whatever you paid for your hosting would be applied to the upgraded server automatically. Also, depending on the size of your account backups are taken, but be sure to confirm with a technician if your website is too large to have automatic free backups. Either way, it is always recommended to create your own backups periodically just in case.

Collapse -
Don't forget this...!!!
by scamgrabber / June 14, 2011 8:36 AM PDT

Hi Matt
This shouldn't be a probelm at all, if your hostprovider is a quality hostprovider. Don't forget to do
a goole serch for reviews on inmotion hosting. My first host provider was terrible and I found my current hostprovider, from a poll done by webmasters, where my hostprovider won gold in best service.

I have only had a fantastic service and can upscale whenever I need it.

Collapse -
Browse online for hosting services
by Imagine_Wks / June 20, 2011 3:18 PM PDT

Collapse -
Website Hosting Requirements
by dsouzadhiraj2 / February 26, 2012 9:21 PM PST

You will require following specifications:
50-150 GB Hard Disk
1 dedicated IP
SSH Root Access
Control Panel
Unlimited Domains
Unlimited Emails
Full Control - Install any Application
Choice of Multiple O.S.
Linux VPS or Windows VPS

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.