Web Hosting, Design, & Coding

Question

Web Domain Name Without Hosting?

by bisurge / September 12, 2011 3:44 PM PDT

Is there any website that can give you a domain name without server hosting? I don't understand why when you try to register a domain name they automatically force you to pay for their hosting and their "required security or else we'll release your personal information even though it actually doesn't cost any money to hide."

I found a good server hosting site, but it doesn't host domain names. So can someone please refer me to a site where you can get a domain name only?

Much appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Web Domain Name Without Hosting?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Web Domain Name Without Hosting?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The popular place
by Sovereign Forum moderator / September 13, 2011 5:07 AM PDT

to register domains is godaddy.com, but there are plenty of others out there. They are called domain registrars.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Answer
enom
by markyallen / October 28, 2011 8:31 PM PDT

I would suggest enom. Godaddy is all about upselling things you dont need and then its hard to get them out during domain renewal

Collapse -
Enom
by jeremyc777 / November 2, 2011 6:42 PM PDT
In reply to: enom

Well I would also like to suggest Enom. You can also check namecheap & Eurodns, but in my opinion Enom is the best option for you.

Collapse -
Answer
Name cheap
by kalpesh-patel / November 10, 2011 5:05 PM PST

Name cheap is the best option for domain purchase.

Collapse -
Answer
Domain Registration
by recentcoin / November 14, 2011 4:55 AM PST

You can buy them anywhere. For example, I have all of my domains registered through GoDaddy. I flatly refuse to use GoDaddy's web hosting as I've had horrible experiences with it but their name registration is fairly simple, the customer service has been good, and they're cheap. Just scroll to the bottom of the page past all the "Add Ons" and click Continue to get through the registration without buying hosting, privacy, etc.

Collapse -
SlowDaddy SuX
by MrAdamDavies / December 20, 2011 10:12 PM PST
In reply to: Domain Registration

I've been in the hosting business for several years now and have never dealt with a more immoral company than GoDaddy... Why I hear you ask....

Collapse -
Answer
Get a domain buddy
by Shubhajeet2107 / December 4, 2011 2:32 PM PST

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Go here and get registered, http://www.host1free.com/?ap_id=reg52i
<span>Then Go to Controll panel and Book a domain, now change your registrar to whatever you like,this will give you a domain without server hosting.. i am also doing the same. Happy

Collapse -
Answer
NameCheap.com
by MrAdamDavies / December 20, 2011 10:07 PM PST

NameCheap.com not only offer domains without hosting, they are the cheapest registrars I could find Wink
(that are reliable and trustworthy, anyway)

Collapse -
Answer
I've never been forced to buy hosting...
by talks_44 / December 29, 2011 4:32 PM PST

I've used Godaddy, namecheap.com, directnic.com etc and have never been forced to buy their hosting..

I've registered several domains with each and use my own hosting (whichever company I choose). All I use the registrars for is redirecting the NameServers.

You should be able to register a domain at any of those mentioned place (in my post and others) without the need to purchase hosting. And infact is does cost money to hide you personal information because most of them use a 3rd party company who charges.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.