Photo Editing & Graphic Design forum

General discussion

Web Design Software-No Html

by spikeysam71 / June 10, 2008 4:08 PM PDT

Please help!I need to get a small website up and running for my small business and am not good with html. I am looking or eaither a program that helps you make templates and design your website with not much html required that is shareware or not too expensive ($50 or less). Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Web Design Software-No Html
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Web Design Software-No Html
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since HTML is the standard for web pages
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 10, 2008 9:35 PM PDT

you are going to struggle to create a web site without HTML.

It's time to start learning I think, Happy

You will also need to find out how and where to publish your web site.

There are many applications that will do the design for you in a WYSIWYG method, (What You See Is What You Get). Using those you can drag and drop elements into a page and the editor will create the HTML in the background for you. If you Google WYSIWYG web builder you will see many options, and some of them are freeware/shareware, or full purchase for under $50.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
A goog app with no HTML needed
by m-kris / June 27, 2008 11:57 AM PDT

I will recommend the app Goldfish from Fishbeam.com. It is very inexpensive (I think $29) and does the job perfectly. You can get it for both the PC and Mac platform. You use simple drag and drop much like layout apps and the program converts it into html. I have used it for a number of websites, and you can upload to server within the program.

Marianne Kristensen

Message was edited by: admin to signature link, which is prohibited in these forums

Collapse -
Web site design apps
by LostValley / June 27, 2008 12:40 PM PDT

Micro$not Front Page is quite good. Relatively intuitive, scads of add-ons/features and not too pricey. FirstPage by coffee cup software was excellent. Newer versions are 'pay to play,' so search for a freeware version.

As to Hyper Text Markup Language (HTML), you don't need to know much of it for a simple website. You can see the source code on most pages by right clicking then click on "Source Code." Look for the <body> statement which begins the section pertaining to page you are viewing. The </body> statement ends the part put there by sites owner. There will be tons of other lines but those are mostly embedded by hosting entity.

Hope this helps,
Peace.....Out

Collapse -
Simple web site making
by bowacl / June 27, 2008 3:24 PM PDT

I made a simple three page web site from a template I downloaded for free elsewhere with NVU at nvudev.com, it's an open source web page making program that is somewhat the same idea as FrontPage.

Years ago in the beginning I made my first web site in MS Word which back then was not the expense it is now, I just made a word document of the page and saved it as htm, not always what you seen was what you got so I did have to learn htm to align things etc. The main things are to pick colors, a logo and design, be willing to try a few programs to find one that works for you, it's always a plus if you try the free ones first, this way if it doesn't work out you don't have anything invested to lose.

Collapse -
Re: Web Design Software-No Html
by Zouch / June 28, 2008 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Simple web site making

I would agree, nVU <http://www.nvu.com/> is a simple web page editor - I believe it is based on the web page editor from the late lamented Netscape. One nice feature is the abitity to flip between the WYSIWYG editor and the HTML it generated - might be the place to start learning HTML, which you will need to do if you want to go beyond the basics.

Another application I've used is Net Objects Fusion <http://www.netobjects.com/>. It also is a WYSIWYG editor with a whole bunch of templates on which to base your design. I used an old-ish copy V4 or V5, I think, which came for free on a computer magazine. I believe they are up to V 11 now and I think it is shareware but may be a licensed product.

Collapse -
Web Design Software-No Html
by sweiss / June 28, 2008 2:00 AM PDT

Have you checked out this site yet?

http://website-creation-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

There are several that are less than $50; one of them might be just the one you're looking for.

I, too, have a small business, and my hosting service (SiteGround.com) includes a website builder, as do most hosting services. You may want to see if your hosting service offers a site builder that's worht using . . .

Good luck!

Collapse -
web design software not html
by vmrules / June 29, 2008 3:08 AM PDT

I have been using Site Spinner by Virtual Mechanics for several years and created many web pages with it. It is easy to use and understand and has templates and add ons. It has a free 30 day trial which only counts the days you use it - plenty of time to check it out. The cost then is $50. I love it.

Collapse -
web design software
by gizoo / August 28, 2008 12:54 AM PDT

Hi there

If your not a fan of HTML but you still want to build a decent looking website with templates and a good range of functionality like eccommerce , forums etc the webPlusX2 is a good bet and its quite cheap as well. Check it out: www.serif.com/webplus/webplusx2

Plus you can also get free older versions of the same software at www.freeserifsoftware.com

: )

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.