Mac OS forum

General discussion

Web Cam ?

by jordan1934 / March 20, 2008 9:37 AM PDT

I have a mac mini with OS X 10.4.11 and am having a hard time finding a web cam that has compatibility. Amazon says Logtech QuickCam Pro 4000 will work but I can't find if that is true for my system. I need one that will work with Skype as my daughter has a PC with that and wants me to get something for us to be able to use. I got the only one at Best Buy, a Dynex , that said on the box it would work with mac but it's not true, will not work. Any quick answers or a site to find my answer?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Web Cam ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Web Cam ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I suggest returning the camera
by BeatleMegaFan / March 20, 2008 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Web Cam ?

I found this, regarding the Dynex camera, and so I would think that trying to use it would be a waste of time. I believe there were other sites complaining about the company's lack of OS X support also.
Note, in the story I linked to above, some of the comments and readers were not happy at all with this product, so be cautious of some of the language used there if you care to read them. The actual story looks clean though. Of course you could look for more stories/reports on Google, as I said there were others around.

If the company offers no support and no current drivers, then it is a lost cause by the looks of it. Return it and search for an alternative. Most webcams that I see are branded as Windows compatible, but make no mention of being OS X compatible. Call up the closest Apple Store and ask them what camera they recommend. Of course, you could always look for a used FireWire iSight camera, a retired Apple accessory released some years ago. Works great with the G4 Macs.

If you could find a Mac-compatible webcam, I wouldn't worry about it being Skype-compatible. It should "just work", as Apple says ;-).

Collapse -
may have found one
by jordan1934 / March 20, 2008 12:15 PM PDT
Collapse -
Dynex brand = stay away.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2008 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Web Cam ?

I can ditto this advice on their PC-Card for firewire. I can't count the stories.

Collapse -
by radishes / March 25, 2008 6:19 AM PDT

I have a Macally ICECAM which is inexpensive and works on my eMac.

Hope you have more success.

Collapse -
IceCam2 & Mac G4
by nedja123 / August 31, 2008 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Webcam

I am trying to set up a new IceCam2 on My G4(10.5.4),but it does not open in iChat.It sais that CAMERA IS IN USE BY ANOTHER APLICATION.Is there a fix for this.

Collapse -
Looks like you met the spec.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2008 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: IceCam2 & Mac G4

"MacOS X 10.4.11 and 10.5.x for iChat and Skype"

"My G4(10.5.4)," = Ooops. Make the call to their support or just pack and return.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.