The CNET Lounge

General discussion

We kind of biffed the Canadian customs searching iPods story

by mollywood CNET staff / May 31, 2008 4:54 AM PDT

Turns out it's all part of this larger Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement thing that's the "Pirate Bay killer" you were reading about on Slashdot. I've tried to explain it better here: http://cultureofownership.org/?p=43

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: We kind of biffed the Canadian customs searching iPods story
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: We kind of biffed the Canadian customs searching iPods story
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
dispicable
by mementh / May 31, 2008 7:13 AM PDT

its wrong and should never happen

Copyright = Anti First amendment

Most people wont pirate or steal if a product is delivered at a resonable price and given resonable control over what you bought.

Look at Itunes and tell me you can't sell the music when its easy to get.

I belive a few of the audio book companies tried some DRM free stuff, that was watermarked thoughout, so they could identidfy where it came from.

They found NOTHING that was sold legally on ANY pirate areas or services...

Again repeating, EVERY SINGLE AUDIO BOOK THAT WAS SOLD NEVER WAS SHARED ONLINE TO ANYONE VIA PIRATE SITES (yes it coulda been given to a friend or family member but one assumes thats within the traditional fair use rights)

Also I loved Mollys Buzz Report about how much the RIAA coulda made by not trading the files. 3.7x10 to the 13th power
thats 37,000,000,000,000 trillion dollars... (4b songs/year @ .99 * 9 years that coulda been DRM free)

As molly says.. it works for them to use made up numbers.. why not us (not a direct quote and math /names ight be wrong)

Collapse -
We kind of biffed the Canadian customs searching iPods story
by wizkids32 / May 31, 2008 7:28 AM PDT

I think this is the most ridiculous thing I have heard don't they know that they are cutting their nose off despite their face they are very dumb and it won't last at all when people stop going to Canada and their economy goes down. People will complain very loudly.

Collapse -
This won't ever happen in practice.
by robstak / June 1, 2008 7:44 AM PDT

there is simply no way to tell on some/most players where the music came from. this could never be enforced.

it's just another pos legislation by ppl that don't understand technology.

We all know where they can shove their series of tubes...

Collapse -
how can they abuse it
by mementh / June 1, 2008 10:41 AM PDT

how can they abuse such a law to benifit them is the question *scared*

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.