PC Hardware forum

Question

WD My Passport Ext.HD

by Ken Deyell / November 18, 2012 9:39 AM PST

I'd like to know how to "delete" a single backed up folder.Searched the manual and help and it just seems to describe to use the "reformat" feature.I must be missing something as this would erase the operating software for the hard drive it's self.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WD My Passport Ext.HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WD My Passport Ext.HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No Operating System on that external.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2012 9:44 AM PST
In reply to: WD My Passport Ext.HD

And I would be guessing if I guessed you were asking about some backup software but to delete a folder in Explorer is pretty basic for a Windows user. They click on the folder then tap the Delete key.
Bob

Collapse -
WD My Passport Ext. HD
by Ken Deyell / November 18, 2012 10:55 AM PST

Sorry I didn't make that clear.I can't find how to delete a back up folder on the western digital external hard drive.The only reference is to right click on the drive icon and click "format"on the drop down menu.All I have stored on this external drive at present is my "music folder"

Collapse -
If that's the folder you want gone, then click, tap delete.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2012 11:19 AM PST
In reply to: WD My Passport Ext. HD

Again, I would have to guess if there was some backup application in play here. I don't use any that come with drives since I found them buggy, trouble, and proprietary.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
What backup software are you using?
by wpgwpg / November 22, 2012 4:49 AM PST
In reply to: WD My Passport Ext.HD

Are you using the Windows 7 backup program, the WD supplied backup program, something else, what? Personally I've been using Norton Ghost for the last 8 years and haven't had the first problem with it. You can get it for next to nothing if you watch the sales. Another good alternative is Easeus todo backup free which you can download from
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm .

Good luck.

Collapse -
WD My Passport
by Ken Deyell / November 24, 2012 2:22 AM PST

Sorry for delay in responding but was out of town.I used the WD Smartware prog. loaded on the WD My Passport.I did some additional searching and for the benefit of others I'll note how you can do "deletions" without formating the drive.With your my passport drive connected go to ....computer\external drive(my passport)\smartware.swstor folder and you can delete any file you select in there.Why this isn't detailed in the "user manual" is beyond me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.