PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Wavy Screen on Flat Monitor

by redrover1958 / November 1, 2004 1:46 AM PST

Help - my flat monitor screen is now "wavy" whenever I scroll up and down on a page. I don't know why this started or how to end it. Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wavy Screen on Flat Monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wavy Screen on Flat Monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Wavy Screen on Flat Monitor
by Kees Bakker / November 1, 2004 3:40 AM PST

Redrover,

Start with connecting a good old CRT in stead of the LCD to see what happens. It's an easy swap.
If that's OK I suspect the monitor itself. If that's wavy either, I suspect the videocard (or the driver, but that's a rather theoretical option, I think).

Kees

Collapse -
by reefurbb / November 1, 2004 9:33 PM PST

wavy? like a narrow large S on the left and right? or it waves as you scroll, as you said? This usually means you don't have enough video power, video ram; pics and web pages should also take a bit to load all the way down. This usually happens with 2mb, maybe 4mb Vram. Download and use Aida32 utility to check...
A flat screen doesn't need more Vram, so the previous idea of another monitor (CRT) is good-quick.
XP? W98? DirectX 8.1 or above?

Collapse -
by redrover1958 / November 3, 2004 3:41 AM PST

It waves as I scroll up and down on a page. It's supposed to be smooth. I have to stop scrolling for the wave to catch up so I can read what's on the page.
I have Windows XP.

Collapse -
by billzhills / November 3, 2004 6:55 AM PST

redrover,

Check drivers first ....

Then try to slow down the Hwd acceleration.

Display Properties -> Settings -> Advance
Open Troubleshoot tab -> slow down Hwd acceleration slider is in middle of window.

This happened to my main system after upgrade to GeForce2 MX/MX400 video card and third monitor. The effect was only on this card and attached monitor.

Bill

Collapse -
by 5RACOONS / November 20, 2004 12:13 AM PST

I formatted the drive in my sons's Gateway laptop after backing up all data. After installing XP PRO and Office 2003 and running all updates I discovered the same wavy screen. The device manager showed the VGA graphics drivers missing. The correct driver would not download to this workstation.

I downloaded and transferred across the network. The file extracted. I then pointed the driver reinstall to the cab files for this download and it installed falwlessly. No more wavy screen and the device mgr shows the drivers to be intact. He also runs a second monitor (CRT FLAT SCREEN)and it works fine.

One neat trick is if you do not want the laptop monitor on, crank up the resolution where the laptop monitor cannot perform and it will shutdown. Now you can use only the CRT external if need be.

Collapse -
Wavy Screen on Thinkpad moniter
by mgermaine / August 31, 2010 7:18 AM PDT

I turned the slider all the way to the left and now the scrolling is
perfect...Thanx for the fix..MG

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.