Computer Help forum

General discussion

WAV files won't play

by sdlchic / December 28, 2006 6:54 AM PST

My computer won't play any wav files. At first I thought it was Yahoo messenger. One day about a year ago, I realized it wasn't playing the alert sounds. I was thinking I had muted them, but my computer won't play any alerts including windows alerts. I checked the sounds in the control panel, and they won't play from there either. They won't play on any media player installed on my computer including windows media player, winamp, anything. Programs scroll through the files as if they are playing, but there is no sound. No error message or anything. Other sound file types play just fine.
Changed the sound card, but no difference. Sound card is used from goodwill. Don't know make or model.
My OS is Microsoft Windows XP Professional 2002. Sound driver is SB Live! Wave Device.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WAV files won't play
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WAV files won't play
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have You Tried Re-Associating The WAVE Files To WMP?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 28, 2006 8:41 AM PST
In reply to: WAV files won't play

RIGHT click on Start, choose "Explore" from the little menu. When the Explorer window loads, click on "Tools" in the upper left, choose "Folder Options", then click on the "File Types" tab. When that loads, scroll down to the WAV-Wave Sound file extension and click on it once to highlight it. In the lower part of the window, you should see the program that is supposed to open it.. If it isn't currently "Windows Media Player", then click on the "Change" button. When the next window opens, place a CHECK mark in the box that says: "Always use this program to open this file type", then select "Windows Media Player" from the list of programs. When you're done, click on "OK", Apply, OK, etc.

Now navigate to the C\Windows\Media folder and attempt to play the actual .wav files there. Each of the .wav files should have an icon associated with WMP.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
re: Have you tried re-assiciating the wave files to wmp?
by sdlchic / January 2, 2007 12:23 PM PST

Tried this suggestion. Reassociated wav files. Interestingly enough, it became possible to play wav files using windows media player and winamp. Happy Wav files still won't play from sound manager or on startup (or from yahoo messenger for that matter). Seems to be some trouble playing wav files from within other programs now, but the issue playing them from windows media player and winamp is resolved. Thanks!

Collapse -
by ljsquare1 / August 12, 2011 3:51 AM PDT

This worked perfectly and easily. Our help desk had no clue. I'm learning to search the web rather than calling them.

Collapse -
Run Diagnostics
by tuxmaster / December 28, 2006 4:12 PM PST

Have you tried running Diagnostic software that came with the SoundBlaster if not you can prob download them from creative's website. Are you using powered speakers are the powered speakers on is the volume turned up.

It most likely has something to do with your speakers due to the fact that you changed sound card and it still did not work because that would reinstall drivers for sound.

Collapse -
re: Run Diagnostics
by sdlchic / January 2, 2007 12:24 PM PST
In reply to: Run Diagnostics

Yes, my speakers are powered on and plugged in. Like I said, computer seems to be able to play other sound file types just not wav.

Collapse -
Re: WAV files won't play
by Tufenuf / December 28, 2006 8:38 PM PST

sdlchic, Go to the link below and click the ? to the left of "Where did my Sounds go?" to expand it and you'll find several possible solutions like:

Restore System Sound:
This edit corrects many Sound issues: Fix the Ding.wav File

Collapse -
re: Tufenuf
by sdlchic / January 2, 2007 12:43 PM PST

Tried several of the fixes on this site including audiosvr.reg, dingfix.reg, netvol.reg, restoresounds.reg and valuenotset.reg. When one didn't resotre my sounds, I tried another. Don't remember the order I tried them.

STRANGE things happened. In the middle of that night after I tried all these fixes, my computer woke me up with all these sounds I had attempted to play to test whether it could play wav files (some of the windows system wav files: ding, asterisk, shutting down sounds, etc...). I immediately tried to play them from the system sound manager and got nothing... again.

I restarted my computer, and it went NUTS! It takes muuuuuuuuuuch longer to boot now and plays no sounds at all of any file type. Windows that I have minimized no longer appear at the bottom of my computer on the same bar as the start menu (don't remember what that's called). My Norton antivirus won't start up anymore. I can't drag and drop files to my thumb drive nor cut/copy and paste files between folders. Also, I'm getting much more error messages when internet explorer tries to download a page: "A runtime error has occured. Do you wish to debug?"

Panicking!! Did I make a huge mistake? How can I fix this?

Collapse -
re: Tufenuf
by Tufenuf / January 2, 2007 8:41 PM PST
In reply to: re: Tufenuf

sdlchic, Those fixes you tried shouldn't have caused any of the problems you posted. Try doing a System Restore to the closest date prior to when you applied those fixes. Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore.

Collapse -
Codec Packs
by SuperReviewer / August 12, 2011 5:53 AM PDT

When you installed Winamp did it install any codec packs with it....I know that those codec packs sometimes mess up settings within the computer since they use the same resources as other programs.

Collapse -
by ZRMaster / August 15, 2011 7:58 AM PDT

Go to start.... run... then type dxdiag.... window will appear...then go to sound tab....then click start direct sound test..... you could do the check then in music tab then click test direct music..
if u dont hear sound in these tests ... then maybe you should try updating your directX version to newer one and try again these tests or play wav file....

Hope this helps....

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.