Computer Help forum

General discussion

Watching streaming Netflix on crt tv

by newmanae / August 12, 2007 7:56 PM PDT

My primary computer is a laptop and I assembled a box from some old parts to sit next to my entertainment system just to listen to internet radio, 1.8 celeron, pc chips mobo, 4x agp slot, 1 gig pc 133 ram, soundblaster 5.1 audio, etc. Now Netflix has started streaming movies, I'd like to watch them on my 32" JVC crt tv, can an agp card do that for me? If so any suggestions? I've got S video inputs on my TV and Pioneer D811s receiver. BTW, don't do any gaming. Thanks for any help you can give.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Watching streaming Netflix on crt tv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Watching streaming Netflix on crt tv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
well
by ozos / August 13, 2007 12:06 AM PDT

Depending on the resolution of the video, your radio box should be able to handle it (assuming your internet connection is also up to the task).

An AGP card with S-Video output should be fine, but I'd keep it VERY basic and VERY simple to avoid any complications, look for a GeForce MX 4000 or GeForce MX 440 for AGP or PCI (prefer AGP of course), or a GeForce FX 5200, or Radeon 7000/7500 or 9200/9250, all should sport an S-Video output, and will be basic enough/low power enough to not conflict with the system (while a 7600GT should be compatable, realize that it'd probably use on its own as much power as the majority of the rest of the system).

For audio output, I'd take the best possible path, if that Soundblaster has co-ax S/PDIF out or optical S/PDIF out, go with that (if the reciever can take it as an input), otherwise I'd go with stereo output from the primary line out, get a 1/8" TRS to RCA stereo adapter (NOT a cable, most cables built to do this fall apart, the actual adapter device and normal RCA cables costs about the same and works far better) should be about $5 at radio shack, and any RCA cables you have on hand work fine.

You can try to mess with using more than 1 of the 1/8" TRS outputs, however the reciever has to accept 5.1 on RCA inputs, some don't (its a lot of connectors to have on the back of a device to do 5.1 on RCA).

So, I suggest stereo because it'll work for what you need, I get that it won't be surround sound, but it should work out just fine. If you wanted to purchase a different PCI adapter to provide 5.1 out over digital (if the reciever supports it), I'd look at Auzentech and Turtle Beach, ignore Creative, M-Audio would also be a good option, although the cheapest 5.1 card they offer is around $100 (while Turtle Beach has cards that cost around half that, and provide 5.1 (the difference being that Turtle Beach cards are designed for what you want to do, M-Audio cards are designed for the studio)).

One thing to realize though, is that your TV is NTSC, 720x480, which means from a computer's perspective its very low resolution, videos will look ok, however the Windows (or any other OS) desktop will feel somewhat constrained.

Here's a cheap FX 5200:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130210
Wouldn't expect 3D performance miracles, although it will still surprise you with what it can play for $25.

And for a cheap digital out audio board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829118105

Collapse -
Thanks
by newmanae / August 13, 2007 12:35 PM PDT
In reply to: well

I mean with newegg links too, I couldn't ask for more. The Turtle Beach card forced me to do some research into s/pdif connections and toslink, I hope my conclusion that s/pdif optical and toslink are one and the same is correct. Anyway I guess I'll find out in a few days. Ordered the FX5200 too, I had been looking at the Radeon 9600 and had seen several warnings about power supply constraints, the reviews of the 9200 weren't that great so I think your advice will work out well.
Again, Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.