TVs & Home Theaters forum

Watching internet TV/videos. What LCD refresh rate needed?

by Bradley999 / January 21, 2013 2:36 AM PST

I am finally new to purchasing a LCD TV. We are replacing our 27" flat screen tube TV. I had done my research and found a 42" LCD. I explained to the sale person that I wanted to also hook up my computer to it and get rid of cable. He told me that I couldn't use a 60hz refresh rate when watching videos off the internet. It will have a ghosting effect. I needed a 120hz refresh rate. Is this true?
I just hooked up the new 42" LCD 1080p 120hz TV. I watched a movie off of Netflix and I didn't like the look of the movie. The look I am referring to is the more 3D or more real look. Our old 27" tube TV had a great pitcher. We just wanted to get a larger screen and gain space. I like the look of films at the movie theater and I don't need it enhanced beyond the them.
I am looking at exchanging the TV for a 60hz refresh rate. I will be watching a movie tonight that I just watched 2 days ago on the 27" and see how it views on this 42".
I haven't hooked up my computer yet to the TV to view movies to see how it looks. But, isn't Netflix videos off of the internet? With more reseach I discoved there is Google TV. I may not have to hook up my computer to watch videos off of the internet.
My question is: Will I get a ghosting effect while watching videos off the internet on a 42" 60hz 1080p LCD. Or, do I have to have 120hz?
Thanks, Brad

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Watching internet TV/videos. What LCD refresh rate needed?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Watching internet TV/videos. What LCD refresh rate needed?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
120 Hz is better
by wpgwpg / January 21, 2013 2:57 AM PST

I think the effect is exaggerated, but 120 Hz is smoother for motion scenes and things like sports and those little bars that scroll across the bottom of the TV screen. You don't HAVE to have 120 Hz, it just gives you a little smoother transition from one picture frame to the next. If you want to see the difference, just go to a store where they have a 60 Hz close to a 120 Hz and see for yourself. The first HDTV I bought was 1080P and 120 Hz, the last one was 720P and 60 Hz. I like the 120 Hz one a little better, but I could easily live with the 60 Hz one if I had do.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Depends on country.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2013 3:48 AM PST

A few countries use a 50Hz rate but you noted 60 so 120 is very nice since it can also display 24P BluRay content.

Collapse -
Worry less about refresh rate and more about...
by Pepe7 / January 21, 2013 3:58 AM PST

...overall picture quality (PQ). Cheap LCDs look like crap, regardless of which refresh rate they are using. Start moving toward the higher end LED-LCD and you see the quality go up significantly, although for more $$$$$.

Your comment regarding wanting a somewhat lifelike movie theater picture (quality) stood out to me. In that case, you should be avoiding LCD altogether and investigating plasma. The black levels/contrast/fast motion are all better w/ plasma, along with Blu ray discs & content passed along from PCs such as Netflix, etc. If your viewing space has adequate light control, that's the technology I would focus on instead of LCD.

If you watch mostly SD content, you might keep around an older CRT in the den.

Collapse -
Thanks for all your help guys.
by Bradley999 / January 22, 2013 2:10 AM PST

I was looking towards a plasma, but was told I have too much light in the room for a plasma. Question is, what is too much light. The room is small with a large sliding glass door which is the only one source of outside light coming in. Outside of the sliding door is a patio cover and trees that block out direct sunlight. TV is being placed next to the sliding door. I think the room is not that bright, but the sales person says it is. I will be going back to look at the TVs again.
The LCD I did purchase is a LG 42CS570 1080p 120hz. I found it had a lot of good reviews. The problem I have is in the fast action scenes, it just doesn't look right. I don't know how to best descibe it, to realistic or 3D where it looks fake.
I will be connecting my daughter's new LG 32LS3410 720p 60hz and will see how that looks.

Collapse -
Get some shades/window treatments
by Pepe7 / January 22, 2013 3:49 AM PST

It's a must, unfortunately. Ideally whatever you end up with is of the room darkening type. Cheaper options would perhaps be bargain shades in combination w/ curtains (that include some degree of room darkening ability) from JCPenny or Target/Wal Mart.

The fast motion scenes can be problematic sometimes. Plasma handles such content better than LCD/LED. See if there's any sort of 'motion flow' (etc.) setting that can be toggled on/off.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.