Audio & Video Software

General discussion

Watching cable TV on my computer? Possible or am I misguided

by martinaggie01 / July 1, 2005 9:37 AM PDT

What would I need to be able to watch cable TV on my computer?

My motherboard, an Asus A7N8X has a connection near the 20 pin connection that is labaled as a TV Out connection.

What can I do with this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Watching cable TV on my computer? Possible or am I misguided
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Watching cable TV on my computer? Possible or am I misguided
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Need a TV Tuner...

The ''TV out'' connection that you have allows you to display something (your desktop, a DVD, etc) from your computer on your TV instead of, or in addition to (depending on the software), your computer monitor. In order to watch TV on your computer, you'll need a TV Tuner card (or a USB-based tuner device), which gives you a TV-in connection.

These come in both ATI (All-In-Wonder series) and Nvidia (Personal Cinema series) varieties, and in multiple formats (PCI card, AGP card, and USB "box"). If you want, you can even get a TV Tuner/graphics card combo, or one designed for receiving HDTV as well. However, since there are so many "flavors" of PC TV tuners available, I suggest checking Circuit City's website (they have a pretty good selection) and comparing them, along with their user reviews.

However, I'd like to point out a couple of things about ATI. First, their software is only so-so, so you'll definately want either Microsoft Windows Media Center or a third-party application. (I recommend the free program GB-PVR) Also, the drivers seem to occasionally have problems with AMD processors. (They were designed around Intel's specs.) I haven't tried the Nvidia line, but I've heard those tuners come with better software and aren't quite as buggy.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
interesting
by onyekachi / July 7, 2005 11:21 PM PDT

also want to know about tv cable connection on pc's

Collapse -
PC TV
by abirnbaum / July 8, 2005 12:08 AM PDT
In reply to: interesting

I have a Samsung 192 MP Monitor that has a TV IN coaxial cable TV jack. I can use my monitor as a TV, or even watch as Picture In Picture. Allows me to work and watch news, or play games and watch the Simpsons. Cool

Collapse -
Yes Yes
by marmalade / July 8, 2005 12:29 AM PDT

you go to your local Radio shack
and get a hauppage one the drivers are updated on the web site
Win TV

http://hauppage.com/pages/products/data_pvr350.html

i hope this helps

remeber install drivers first before u manually put it
in your slot.....need more help contact me..:-)

Collapse -
WinTV PVR250 and Snapstream BeyondTV
by BassBinDevil / July 8, 2005 4:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes Yes

The Hauppage PVR250 is also pretty good; it includes a hardware MPEG encoder, and an infrared remote control. The bundled software is pretty awful, though.

Snapstream BeyondTV worked very well with the PVR250 and the remote; it downloads a program guide which makes it incredibly easy to schedule recordings, just using the remote control. Unlike GBPVR it was easy to install and configure.

For a lot less money, SageTV Recorder gives you a basic way to schedule recordings, based on date/time/length (like a VCR).

Collapse -
Watching cable TV on my computer?
by jcrobso / July 8, 2005 12:47 AM PDT

Yes this has been discussed before. If you live by a major city that has DHTV stations get ATI HDTV wonder, $150 at most places it has 2 tuners, one for analog Tv and one for DHTV and wil do PVR functions. John

Collapse -
Here's a great device for using your VGA monitor as a TV
by edenney / July 8, 2005 4:21 AM PDT

The question is a little unclear as I'm not sure if you just want to use your computer monitor as a TV or if you want to watch TV in a window while you do other activities on your computer. Others have already mentioned some TV Tuner overlay cards or combo cards you can use, but many people that have a computer but no TV (students in a dorm etc.) want to watch it full screen when they DO watch, or use it with their Playstation, XBox, DVD player, camcorder etc.

If this is you, Viewsonic makes an excellent external NTSC to VGA box that has multiple inputs, a remote with all of the common television controls (Input, CH, Vol, Mute etc.) and most importantly, excellent picture quality. For example you can plug in your cable, DVD player, XBox, and computer simultaneously and just switch between them with the flick of a button on the remote. No need to open up your computer case and add/remove cards or drivers.

The unit offers component, S-Video, composite, and cable inputs as well as stereo L/R RCA and 1/8'' audio in. It has a convenient 1/8" audio out as well if you want to use headphones, your computer speakers, whatever. Not only is this my favorite solution, it can be easily installed by someone with very little or no computer knowledge. If you can hook up a VCR you can certainly set this up.

Two units are available depending on your needs, the Viewsonic Nextvision N5 (which I own) and the N6. Both offer the exact same array of inputs and controls, best I can tell the only difference is that the N6 supports true HDTV resolutions (assuming you provide it an HDTV signal). Pricing for the N5 is around $130-$140 and the N6 sells for around $180. If you don't need HDTV save yourself the $50 and go for the N5. Purchase from any E-Tailer of your choice but you can see many different views of the product (if you need to) at Newegg.com and their pricing is nearly the best last I checked.

Good Luck!

Collapse -
misquided?
by lkm210 / July 8, 2005 9:59 PM PDT

No, you are not misguided. I purchased WinTV from Dell last october I believe it was. It was pretty simple to install and I have had no problems with this. I am completely happy with it.

Collapse -
Watching TV on your PC
by sloflyer / July 9, 2005 8:48 PM PDT

Yes you can watch TV on your PC. I just finished watching a program I recorded on my PC. I use a Pinnacle PCTV Pro which can be purchased from TigerDirect for a mere $59.99 plus shipping. It's a tuner card which you install in your PC and takes a standard cable TV input. I use Charter Broadband. You can watch live TV, record to your hard drive or, if you have a DVD burner, burn to a DVD. I've been doing it for a couple of years. Works great. Just go to TigerDirect.com and search for TV Tuner Devices. Happy viewing.

Collapse -
Free tv on your pc link
by si0077 / July 23, 2005 6:16 PM PDT

Just bought the "watch tv on your pc link" from Ebay. I haven't got sky and dont want to miss a match this season. Here it is for anyone else who can't get sky. www.guide2weston.co.uk/page100.html. It is actually quite good. Enjoy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.