How To forum

Question

Watch Amazon Instant Videos

by itsdigger / November 7, 2013 7:18 PM PST

with a Linux OS w/ FF v24 and Opera v 12.16 . I am an Amazon Prime member and trying to watch a movie on Amazon. All movies start playing but it freezes up after a few seconds and a popup say's the movie is unable to play because I need to install Adobe Flash player. I have Shockwave installed and it works fine on all other sites. I emailed Amazon customer support and they said the same thing, I need to install Adobe Flash player. It works fine on Windows 7 w/FF v24 w/ Shockwave. I also have hardware acceleration turned off but it made no difference. Where am I going wrong here?....Digger

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Watch Amazon Instant Videos
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Watch Amazon Instant Videos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I won't be able to try this for a few weeks. But
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2013 8:45 PM PST

But if I was to look into this I'd try Chrome next as Chrome is pre-compile with Flash builtin. I've had less trouble with Chrome in this area. Sorry but it's been a long time since I've tinkered with Opera.
Bob

Collapse -
Already did
by itsdigger / November 7, 2013 8:52 PM PST

I installed Chromium and had the same results. All three instances, when I click "About" , it shows Adobe Flash Player v. ...., so I do have the player. Confused confused...Digger

Collapse -
It looks like folk are discussing that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2013 9:03 PM PST
In reply to: Already did
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=Amazon+Instant+Videos+on+linux finds folk that seem to claim they fixed it.

THIS LINK IS DATED but gives me a headstart on what Amazon did.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=133626

This link is more fodder about Amazon's change and how you are not getting the straight scoop/story from Amazon.
http://slashdot.org/story/13/04/23/1615219/the-dark-side-of-amazons-new-pilots

And this link notes to use PIPELIGHT.
http://thelinuxcauldron.com/2013/06/18/fix-this-amazon-instant-video/

Remember I can't check this out for a few weeks.
Bob
Collapse -
Thank You Bob
by itsdigger / November 7, 2013 9:06 PM PST

I'll do the Grunt Work and let you know how it turns out....Digger

Collapse -
Thank you for asking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2013 9:12 PM PST
In reply to: Thank You Bob

Your question helped me to look at this again since the usual didn't work. But that's not all.

One of my projects on the back burned is a little box called a "NEO-X5" which came with some outdated Android but there are claims there is a Linux for it. Eventually I want to get that on Linux and you bet I would want to try Amazon video on it.
Bob

Collapse -
Mozilla
by pgc3 / November 8, 2013 12:30 AM PST
In reply to: Thank You Bob

Have you tried Mozilla instead of Opera? I'll have to dig into my Linux but I am thinking there is/are patches available to resolve your issue, within Linux of course..

Collapse -
as stated in my OP
by itsdigger / November 8, 2013 5:08 AM PST
In reply to: Mozilla

I'm trying FF , Opera and now Chromium as well. I'm working on some of the fixes others have tried but so far no luck.....Digger

Collapse -
Amazon's Reply to a scathing E-mail
by itsdigger / November 8, 2013 11:52 AM PST
In reply to: as stated in my OP

I've reviewed our previous correspondence with you, and I'm very sorry about the incorrect information you received by one of my colleagues, Khan M.

I'll be sure to pass your comments along to the appropriate people on our Customer Service team.

From the content of your email, I understand your concern about the availability of Amazon Instant Video content on Linux, but at this time, this feature is not available. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Due to some technical limitations currently we are unable to provide this feature but I hope you understand that this was never intentional from our end.

We're continually listening to our customers regarding this feedback. Rest assured our development team is already working on this option to be made available in near future.

Customer feedback like yours is very important in helping us continue to improve the experience of using our digital video service. I've forwarded your message to our Amazon Instant Video development team for consideration as we make future improvements.

Please continue to check back for additional information on our website.

Thanks for your patience and understanding in this regard. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,
Satiish T

Collapse -
Answer
Patches
by pgc3 / November 10, 2013 3:01 AM PST

I finally got around to checking Linux/Amazon functionality, no problem, I'm able to play Amazon clips, Movies from Crackle, etc. using Mozilla. If you haven't already done this, make sure that you have Gstreamer and its' extras loaded, Gnome as well. Run either Movie Player or VLC player. As you know some of the patches need to be coded and loaded via the terminal, shades of Dos. If you are not familiar with doing this, there are tutorials and how to's available. Some of the tricks and patches are a little tricky and can be a learning experience. I have considerably less hair because of some of this.

Collapse -
Oooooooops
by pgc3 / November 10, 2013 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: Patches

The patches to which I alluded are Gstreamer related, forgot to throw that in....

Collapse -
Thanks pgc3
by itsdigger / November 10, 2013 4:59 AM PST
In reply to: Patches

I can play all of the clips and trailers no problem, movies on Crackle too, movies from anywhere . But not the movies on Amazon lol. I'm all over gstreamer....Digger

Collapse -
Gstreamer
by pgc3 / November 10, 2013 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks pgc3

It takes a little figuring out but you can do it, just do a search, how to run vids using Gstreamer for Linux, you should be able to get it done. Best of luck!!!

Collapse -
Well pgc3
by itsdigger / November 12, 2013 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: Gstreamer

as I said, I can run all of the clips, trailers I want from Amazon and full length movies from anywhere else with no problems. I suggest that you become an Amazon Prime user with Linux OS for a month for free and see how your theory pans out. Let us know how that works for you.....Digger

Collapse -
Full trial
by pgc3 / November 13, 2013 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: Well pgc3

I'll give that a shot over the week end when I have some time to goof around, meanwhile, stay with the Gstreamer load etc. etc...I'll let you know what happens with the Amazon test.

Collapse -
I've Gstreamer'ed
by itsdigger / November 13, 2013 3:18 AM PST
In reply to: Full trial

my a** off with a lot of different configs , tried Pipelight ,Hal's a part of the installation with distro, Thinkin' I'm a gonna take a break and send Amazon some more nasty e-mails, keep the proverbial burr under the saddle Devil .....Digger

Collapse -
Gstreamer
by pgc3 / November 13, 2013 3:23 AM PST
In reply to: I've Gstreamer'ed

Too bad my daughter left Amazon to go back and write for MS, think I'll give her a call anyway, she knows all of the writers since she was one, maybe I can find something out, will keep you posted.

Collapse -
Answer
Man
by itsdigger / November 23, 2013 2:45 AM PST

Either everyone that say's they got this to work with Linux is full of BS or I just don't have enough pizzazz. I'm sure it's the latter but I've tried every fix I can find with no success. Angry ....Digger

Collapse -
Linux Amazon, etc.
by pgc3 / November 23, 2013 3:01 AM PST
In reply to: Man

I've got some time later today and I will get back into it...I'll try the freebie trial you suggested...IF that works then I'll try to figure out what you might have missed. Normally I can run vids w/Linux and even burn CD'S and DVD'S, that takes a little bit of figuring out and has resulted in a little less hair and more gray as well **LOL**

Collapse -
Cool
by itsdigger / November 23, 2013 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: Linux Amazon, etc.

I Can do everything you say, just not watch Whole Movies as a Prime Member....Digger

Collapse -
Getting to it
by pgc3 / November 23, 2013 3:10 AM PST
In reply to: Cool

I'll get to it this afternoon and keep you posted...Worse case scenario is that I'll have a bit less hair, ah but I'm used to that. Yeah I'll do the freebie prime member thing and see what happens...

Collapse -
Don't pull any more hair out
by itsdigger / November 23, 2013 3:14 AM PST
In reply to: Getting to it

I've done enough for the whole male of the species Cry

Collapse -
Now I'm Wondering
by itsdigger / November 23, 2013 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: Man

if there would be a difference if I tried it with the 64 bit version. I'm running the 32 bit (Debian SolydK) because it seems to run smoother on the old Dell 530S

Collapse -
32/64 bit
by pgc3 / November 23, 2013 5:17 AM PST
In reply to: Now I'm Wondering

That might be a possibility. In order for me to do the PRIME thing, I have to divulge (which I will not) personal credit card data to Amazon, I had a friend do this a while back with nearly disastrous results. What I did find out is that some are using the Linux Mint download, codecs, etc. The current one is called PETRA, it is, of course, a Beta set up and is a VERY long down load. There is another possibility, that is a flash error, if this is the case there is a video tutorial on a flash player fix that is related to Amazon prime, just punch in Watch Amazon Prime instant videos, look for the link for Fix flash errors, watch the short vid clip. You will have to input the codes, sudo...blah blah blah into the terminal, basically follow the instructions and I'd just about bet you will get it flying. Before I would get involved with the long Petra/Mint download I'd try the flash error fix, way easier. It may sound hokey but when I buy items from Amazon I truck down to a local store and buy a gift card and input to my online account, it is a little inconvenient but is much less intrusive and it works. Keep me posted on your trials, hopefully you don't lose a bunch of hair.

Collapse -
there is no flash error
by itsdigger / November 23, 2013 5:49 AM PST
In reply to: 32/64 bit

I've had that conversation with Amazon. That is a well documented area that Amazon has hoodwinked the Linux users with. I will look into PETRA

Collapse -
I see
by itsdigger / November 23, 2013 6:37 AM PST

Petra is just another Mint version. No , I've had enough Ubuntu based distro's ....digger

Collapse -
Mint/Petra
by pgc3 / November 23, 2013 11:24 PM PST
In reply to: I see

Yes Petra is the most current variation of Mint..I think the current one is Olivia, which runs out in January of 2013, Petra is good until July of 14.

Collapse -
Answer
tried almost everything, 11-23-13
by walter17171 / November 23, 2013 5:53 PM PST

hi,

I use chrome and it doesn't work. I spoke with someone from customer service for 45 minutes and I gave up. My flash is up to date. He had me uninstall and reinstall restart my computer, clear my cache, tried on another browser and none of them work.

so, I can only surmise this is not suppose to happen or someone made it happen.

in the meantime what am I suppose to watch when I'm paying for prime instant?

it's been since 11/02, have you gotten it to work yet? or has this player been down for 3 weeks.

Collapse -
Amazon
by pgc3 / November 23, 2013 11:27 PM PST

From what I have seen so far I believe the issue with Prime player/Linux has mainly to do with Amazon.

Collapse -
I thought you understood that
by itsdigger / November 24, 2013 12:11 AM PST
In reply to: Amazon

it's all about Amazon . Has nothing to do with flash players, I have the most up to date . I see Netflix doesn't work with Linux either , lot's of PAYING folks squawking there too....Digger

Collapse -
Answer
what about windows vista?
by walter17171 / November 23, 2013 5:55 PM PST

bezos made it stop working for windows vista. is there a fix for windows vista?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

SEEING COLORS?

What do the color stripes mean on your tires?

Brian Cooley tells you why you might see various color lines on the wheels of your automobile.