Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Was CNET's Yahoo email account hacked???

by PudgyOne / January 13, 2010 4:57 PM PST

Hello,

How are you doing? hope all is well with you, i am sorry that i didn't inform you about my traveling to England for a Seminar.

I need a favor from you as soon as you receive this e-mail because i misplaced my wallet on my way to the hotel where my money,and other valuable things were kept i will like you to assist me with a loan urgently. I will be needing the sum of $2,500 to sort-out my hotel bills and get myself back home.

I will appreciate whatever you can afford to help me with, I'll pay you back as soon as i return. Kindly let me know if you can be of help? so that i can send you the details to use when sending the money Transfer.

Your reply will be greatly appreciated.

Take care,
Angeline

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Was CNET's Yahoo email account hacked???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Was CNET's Yahoo email account hacked???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Either that,...
by Paul C / January 13, 2010 6:09 PM PST

...or Angeline's machine is compromised somehow.

Collapse -
I've replied to you Rick
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 13, 2010 7:02 PM PST

and am discussing this with the other SE Mods. I got my own copy of this email this morning.

I'm fairly sure it is just some opportunistic idiot who has used the SEMods email address we sometimes post in here.

I apologise for this Rick. I'm hoping you're the only one who has received it.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) he isnt!!!!
by jonah jones / January 13, 2010 7:10 PM PST
Collapse -
Yep I know!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 13, 2010 7:39 PM PST
In reply to: he isnt!!!!
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6130_102-0.html?messageID=3221716#3221716

What I had missed was that the sender's "Reply to" email address is not the SEMods email address.

It is semodis4@yahoo.com and not our se-mods4-AT-yahoo.com (I have deliberately expanded ours).

That difference is dangerous. as it means if anyone replies thinking it will return to us, it will return to the scammer instead.

Mark
Collapse -
Mark, maybe
by PudgyOne / January 13, 2010 11:28 PM PST

Angeline can come and stay with you until she makes enough money to get back home! Wink

The wild part about all this is that we haven't heard anything from Angeline. I hope she is well.

Rick

Collapse -
Rick, I'm sorry for the intrusion.
by Angeline Booher / January 14, 2010 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: Mark, maybe

I'll post were I was as a reply to your OP.

Thanks for realizing it wasn't from me or CNet.

Angeline

Collapse -
Just got the same
by Steven Haninger / January 13, 2010 9:37 PM PST

I know variations of this one have circulated for some time. My wife got one with the name of a professional acquaintance. Sort of a crappy lowlife trick.

Collapse -
I got one too....
by Josh K / January 13, 2010 11:09 PM PST

....and replied to ask the mods to look into it before I realized the SE Mods email address had been altered by one letter. So now the spammer has my email address, $#@!%.

Collapse -
tsk tsk
by James Denison / January 14, 2010 1:02 AM PST
In reply to: I got one too....

after being spam bombed one too many times, that's not even funny.

I hope Angeline is OK. Seems odd this mail popped up with her name and she's not been heard from yet. Should police be called to check on her maybe?

Collapse -
I got two of those ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 14, 2010 12:15 AM PST

and they originated from 209.191.91.119 which is in and around San Francisco routed through Texas.

Note that the actual return address is semodis4@yahoo.com while the SE mods address is Speakeasy Moderator [semods4@yahoo.com]

This doesn't indicate "hacking" so much as it indicates that someone is purposely targeting names appearing in the SE Forum.

Collapse -
Whoever it was.....
by Josh K / January 14, 2010 12:55 AM PST
In reply to: I got two of those ...

.....managed to get all of our e-mail addresses. Mine is not public.

Collapse -
where did they get the email addresses?
by James Denison / January 14, 2010 1:03 AM PST
In reply to: I got two of those ...

I believe the account WAS hacked.

Collapse -
re: I believe the account was hacked
by grimgraphix / January 14, 2010 2:16 AM PST

I received one of these messages, too.

The originating email address on my message is listed as the address the mods have traditionally used for several years now, for communication with forum members.

Since this same address has been published over and over again on the forum... it may be the case that some hacker just sat on the log in page for this yahoo email account and used software to try a bunch of variations of passwords to get into the account.

I would be curious to know if the hacker left the password the same so as to avoid bringing attention to themselves (if the scam was a serious attempt to get money), or if they changed the PW to lock out the original users as a malicious thumb to the nose.

Either way... any email addresses on that account are now in the hacker's hands. Mine was a public business address so I'm not too worried.

Cheers, and if Angeline needs me to go pick her up in England, just let me know. I got frequent flier miles and some vacation time coming...

Wink

Collapse -
You're on!
by Angeline Booher / January 14, 2010 5:05 AM PST

I'm at Gatwick, not Heathrow. I'll be standing by the Puddle Jumper Airlines desk holding a red rose in my teeth. Happy

Angeline

Collapse -
(NT) LOL!
by Paul C / January 14, 2010 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: You're on!
Collapse -
(NT) ^_^
by grimgraphix / January 14, 2010 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: You're on!
Collapse -
The way the addresses are in that book
by Angeline Booher / January 14, 2010 5:40 AM PST

........ is their having been sent to the semods4 address by the members themselves. I don't think any new ones have been added for ages. So that sender might be having some undeliverable notices.

Some addresses were harvested by others through the "email this member" feature. Thus they are in those address books, as well.

I, and I'm sure, all hope this is the end of it.

Angeline

Collapse -
hacked or not hacked could be answered ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 15, 2010 2:01 AM PST

by any of the moderators having access to the account taking a look to see how far back sent messages were kept and whether the account has specific entries in its address book.

Collapse -
This was
by Angeline Booher / January 14, 2010 5:23 AM PST

...... the once-a-month grooming day for my dog. So I usually do errands on those days. I found some good bargains at Big Lots.

I do appreciate the concern shown by so many members, a testimonial to the fact we have very special ones!

I am so sorry this happened. It is, at the very least, annoying to have unsolicited mail show up in mailboxes.

If anybody asks you,about it pass this on if you think it will help.

Thanks!

Angeline

Collapse -
Angeline
by PudgyOne / January 14, 2010 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: This was

I haven't been around as much. There are many members her to help others and I found helping to install printers was something that was really helping others. When I saw the email, I knew there was something wrong.

I was contacted a long time from that email account and yahoo usally asks you to save the email address, which I figured it got saved. This would account for it using some of the old email addresses from some of the other members. I posted, then email Mark about this so he would be alerted immediately. If anyone compares the contacts or even better yet, checks the sent folder, they might have left a trace of what was sent to who.

Rick

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.