Samsung forum

Warranty VOID for "Common Knowledge" I didn't know

by AuroraXII / December 11, 2012 7:48 AM PST

I did enjoy my Galaxy S3 pretty much, till one day it went dead, showing only the logo.

I took it to the authorized service center after contacting the Samsung local call center. I was told that I have a VOID warranty due to using Google play downloads and the main board is fried. Oooops.

Repairs will cost about 250$. Wow.
The call Center person said it is "Common Knowledge" that Samsung do not hold responsibility toward apps in the google play. I didn't know that and know one told me.
Google play comes pre-loaded on the device, and never did it warn me that it could harm my device and that Samsung are not liable for it.

As I see it, I have been using the device within the normal usage expected, and Samsung failed to highlight (or protect) the Google play risk.

The call Center prophet, said that there is no other authority within Samsung that could talk to me or connect me to the Gods of Samsung and I should live with my sin of using Google play.

I will take this issue with the local consumer protection authority, and will advise people to consider better options when it comes to selecting a device.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Warranty VOID for "Common Knowledge" I didn't know
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Warranty VOID for "Common Knowledge" I didn't know
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's news to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2012 7:51 AM PST

The only area that is rather contentious is when folk install some rooted OS. Some of those overclock the machine and might cause an issue but can you tell us what app can harm the device?

Collapse -
That's new to you and me
by AuroraXII / December 11, 2012 7:56 AM PST
In reply to: That's news to me.

They are so vague about it, and I hadn't downloaded any thing for the several last days before the collaps

Collapse -
New or news?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2012 8:05 AM PST

Anyhow, if this is true I can imagine all android phones would have the same issue.

I know that software support is non-existent or rather I see everyone have the owner reset to factory first blowing out all the installed apps and data. But we know why that is. Some folk want more than that and I see an industry growing with personal computer coaches.

Let's give the Samsung rep some time to respond and also use that link at the top of the forum called "Service Issues."

Collapse -
Re: Warranty VOID for "Common Knowledge" I didn't know
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 11, 2012 11:30 PM PST

Hi AuroraXII,

I'm very sorry about the information you received, but I don't believe it is correct whatsover, so I'd like to see if we can get some help for you on this issue, smart phones are handled by another division of Samsung, so I'm going to see if I can forward your information over to them. Do you happen to have a transaction number from your phone conversation?

HD Tech

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.