Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Samsung

General discussion

warranty extension when registering online

by patruns / June 8, 2009 8:11 AM PDT

I registered my LN37A550 online when I bought it at the end of last year. I was under the impression that doing so got me a 6 month extension. (At least that is what a Samsung rep on here said.) Now I am receiving an offer from Samsung to pay for an extended warranty and that my current warranty runs out at the end of 1 year. What's the real story? They say I can mail this in, call or go to www.samsung.yourserviceplan.com. Is this for real?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: warranty extension when registering online
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: warranty extension when registering online
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
warranty extension when registering online
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 8, 2009 2:06 PM PDT

patruns,

This is the first time I've seen the website, so it may be a new site that has recently launched. I'm looking into it right now. In the meantime, the phone number is the same as the Extended Warranty company we've partnered with in the past (Service Net).

There is not a 6 month extended warranty for registering - the most given is 3 months - which is still a valuable time period.

I'm not sure when the extended service plan must be purchased - there may be a one year deadline. That question simply must be answered by Service Net. That said, it is possible that the extended warranty contract must be purchased before the first year is up, even if you have three months extention.

Again, I have no authority on how that program works, and those questions must be answered by the facilitator of the program. I encourage you to report your findings, but I cannot offer that.

Their number is 866-309-9907.

Hope that helps.

--HDTech

Collapse -
no extension?
by patruns / June 8, 2009 10:52 PM PDT

Ok, I thought it was an extra 6 months. In any event, the letter I got in the mail says my warranty runs out 10/29/09, which is 1 year, not 15 months. Is there some reason mine was not extended when I registered lat November?

Collapse -
no extension?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 9, 2009 10:31 AM PDT
In reply to: no extension?

patruns,

I can't give a definitive answer, because this is between the consumer and Service Net.

But what I can say is this:

Samsung's Service Department will honor the 3 month extention warranty from the original manufacturer's warranty. This is without the extended warranty.

If you purchase a warranty, Service Net (the company that handles the extended warranty issues) <b>may or may not</b> honor that 3 month free extention. (Whether they should or not is a different discussion, but I digress). Their warranty *might* require that you purchase the service before the original warranty is up - 1 year parts and labor on TVs, for example. If they recognize one year, and you inquire about a service plan 3 months later, they may not allow you to buy in - and they're a seperate company, so they have the right to accept or reject on their terms. That's my concern, and I think it's a good concern to address.

That is a customer/Service Net conversation that I can't speak to. If you're interested, give them a call and post your findings here - I welcome the feedback. I just want to introduce some possible angles that perhaps an average consumer might not consider.

I'm sorry this may come across as elusive, but I don't work for Service Net, and I can't speak for their policies - except that we recognize them as a legitimate partner, but seperate from Samsung's Service Offices.

I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if one of their representative would be willing to come on C|Net and answer some questions.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.