TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Warning To Potential Electronics Expo Store Customers

by x071907 / November 30, 2005 2:54 AM PST

I recently purchased a Mitsubishi WD 62725 TV from an Electronics Expo Store (actual name of store) in NJ. I plan on putting the TV in my renovated basement (renovation not yet complete). Since the basement renovation hasn't been completed I brought the TV home and set it up in my living room the day after it was purchased (Saturday). Since the TV wasn't going to be setup in the basement for several more weeks I wanted to test the TV to make sure everything was working ok. When I was reviewing the screen I noticed several dark spots on the TV screen (This was Sunday). The next day (Monday) I called the electronics expo to inform them of the problem. They had a service repairman come to my house to look at the TV (Wednesday afternoon). The service person told me that he couldn't take apart the TV because it wasn't on a stand and that the TV was still sitting in part of the original shipping carton. He did tell me that the likely cause of the problem was something (foreign material) on either the light engine or the DLP chip. He told me that he would have to completely disassemble the TV to diagnose the problem. Since he wasn't able to take apart the TV the repairman left my house. That same day (Wednesday night) we went to the Electronics Expo store and spoke with the store manager. We informed him that we wanted to exchange the television for a brand new one due to the problem. He said that he didn't have the authority to authorize an exchange and he would have to call his corporate office to authorize an exchange. We called the store several days later after we did not here back from the manager and when we called back he informed me that he wanted to have another service repairman come to the house to look at the TV again. We told him again that we didn't want the TV repaired since it required the repairman to completely dissemble the TV. We informed him that we were not paying full price for a TV that needed to be repaired from day 1 (out of the box). He told us that he couldn't authorize an exchange. I am still trying to resolve this issue with the store but I feel like we are just getting the run down from them.

The bottom line is - This Company is very shady to do business with. Do not purchase anything from the Electronics Expo if you think you are going to have problems with the items you purchase. I did find out that they had several complaints filed against them via the Better Business Bureau (see below). It's sad that it has to come to this but I am going to be filing my own complaint with the BBB in hopes of getting them to do the right thing and exchange the TV set for another TV (same model) that is in good working order.

Customer Experience

Based on BBB files, this company has a satisfactory record with the Bureau.

To have a Satisfactory Record with the Bureau, a company must be in business for at least 12 months, properly and promptly address matters referred to it by the Bureau, and be free from an unusual volume or pattern of complaints and law enforcement action involving its marketplace conduct. In addition, the Bureau must have a clear understanding of the company's business and no concerns about its industry.

When evaluating complaint information, please consider the company's size and volume of business. The number of complaints filed against the company may not be as important as the type of complaints and how the company handled them. I will never do business with them again and they lost out on future business from me for my other home theater purchases (Receiver, amp, speakers, etc...)

Closed Complaints
Number of complaints processed by the BBB since the firm's BBB file was opened in October of 2003: 7
Number of complaints processed by the BBB in last 12 months: 5

Complaints Concerned
Advertising Issues: 1
Outcome of the complaint -
Resolved: 1

Delivery Issues: 2
Outcome of all complaints -
Resolved: 2

Repair or Service Issues: 1
Company made every reasonable effort to Resolve: 1

Guarantee or Warranty Issues: 1
Resolved: 1

Refund or Exchange Issues: 2
Outcome of all complaints -
Resolved: 1; Company made every reasonable effort to
Resolve: 1

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Warning To Potential Electronics Expo Store Customers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Warning To Potential Electronics Expo Store Customers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Warning To Potential Electronics Expo Store Customers
by jcrobso / November 30, 2005 2:59 AM PST

Do they have return policy?? Can you still return it???
Did you charge the set on Visa,or MC,AE??? Then protest the charge. John

Collapse -
what stopped him from calling corporate?
by masterying01 / November 30, 2005 3:51 PM PST

calling corporate requires him to pick up the phone. and if he needs to call them just to do a simple exchange on a defective product...especially when THEIR TECHS already went out and identified the problem...what stopped him from calling right in front of you? according to their website, they have a 14 day DEFECTIVE PRODUCT return policy stating "Products that are deemed defective may be returned for exchange only".

if u want the coorporate number, here it is

38 Fairfield Place
West Caldwell, New Jersey 07006

973-808-8838 Ext. 100
Fax 973-808-5730
Monday thru Friday 9am to 6pm ET.

i'm sure they can help you out.

Collapse -
by stewart norrie / December 3, 2005 3:49 AM PST

I had sort of the same problem with my new Sony 65" rear projector after 2 weeks the picture startrd to flicker I called Sony service and the next day they brought over to my house 3 new c,r,ts and tore down the set to replace them I had no problem with that, then after 3 months They came back and calibrated the t.v. to perfection, If it was some forigon meteral in the lens the might have corrected the problem and saved you all this problem Also I buy my home theater equipment from a high end retailer believe it or not I save money in the long run

Collapse -
Projector Expo still theiving
by technologist3 / July 15, 2008 11:55 AM PDT

The sales person "Brian" promised our company a Sony KDLW4100 flat screen TV for the "lowest price". We told him specifically *DO NOT* mail the TV to our billing address of the credit card we are submitting. Sure enough, after the TV hadn't arrived for a whole month, we called the commercial mail handling facility of our billing address and they had it for 10 days. They stated they could ship it for 180$. I called ProjectorExpo and talked to "Jean". I explained to her the circumstances and that we were going to incur 180$ more in cost due to a mistake of Projector Expo. She said she would talk to the manager and have her call us, which never occurred. I called back and she was rude and belligerent not allowing me to speak. She stated that it is company policy not to ship the TV any where else than the billing address on the credit card and that there was nothing they could do. I told her that the sales person Brian didn't follow the company policy in order to make the sale, and thus cheating us out of 180$. She would not take ownership of the problem. She would not credit back 180$ to cover shipping costs that was their mistake. To top it off the TV price - 2200$ - was in the higher end of prices.

I also tried contacting them to update my order status by email. I always received the reply below. They claimed they had order tracking - yet when I tried to track my order, even after the TV was delivered, no useful information was ever published. They also take their phones off the hook between 12:00 and 1:00 pm. To me this is a front end loaded business that disguises its deceitful practices through a decent looking web site. Generate sales but screw the customer.

Beware of Projector Expo.

Dear Valued Customer,

Please call us toll free at 1-800-374-2324 and speak to a knowledgeable
representative who will be glad to assist you in answering any questions you
may have.
Our hours of Operation are:
Monday - Thursday 10 AM EST - 8 PM EST
Friday 10 AM EST - 4 PM EST
Sunday 11 AM EST - 7 PM EST

Thank You
Customer Support

Collapse -
by CyclonicKitten / July 15, 2008 4:31 PM PDT

I feel for you man. Thats a crappy situation. And i would HATE to be in that situation as a consumer. However, as a retail sales associate i can "understand" why a rep would not want to take "ownership" of the problem. Unfortunatly to your detriment 90% of buyers that come in to return items at my store are blatently lying about their return. Whether its saying they havnt opened the item (when clearly its been opened) or saying the item is defective (which when tested it ISNT defective) or they flat out take the item out of the box and switch it with the old item and tape up the box. I TRULY do believe your story. The problem is that this company has service techs that do NOT communicate with the sales folks. Where i work if an item needs to be returned the service techs fill out a ticket for the customer to take back to the store in which we take return of the item and replace it. I can see where an online retailer has a hard time believing any customer now-a-days since the communication is so poor and the customer service rep on the phone has no idea whether your lying or not about your TV. Its a sad state we live in and i see everyday from BOTH sides of the fence.
Luckily in my case i can physically check the item being returned and also read the customers face. Sorry man, its the world we live in.

Collapse -
your response
by technologist3 / July 19, 2008 1:12 PM PDT
In reply to: world

Appreciate the reply, however, I wasn't returning an item.

The good that was paid for never made it to the correct address because of ProjectorExpo's mistake. Furthermore they declined to cover the cost of their mistake and conspired to cover it up.

Unethical, immoral. One might say irrelevant, I say that is exactly the problem - it is not.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.