Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Warning Msg: IP Address Conflict w/Another System on Network

by Catamount Panther / July 13, 2004 2:36 AM PDT

My Linksys 4-Port Wireless network allows 4 PC's access to the internet via cable modem. Over the past couple of days, I keep getting a warning message that there is an IP address conflict with another system on the internet. So far, no one seems to be booted off and we're all accessing the internet w/o problems. What causes this problem (warning msg) and how can I prevent it from popping up?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Warning Msg: IP Address Conflict w/Another System on Network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Warning Msg: IP Address Conflict w/Another System on Network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Warning Msg: IP Address Conflict w/Another System on Net
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2004 2:45 AM PDT

"What causes this problem (warning msg) and how can I prevent it from popping up?"

It's a non-problem. What happens is the IP address's LEASE expired. If the machine is off, the lease expires and some other machine asks for an IP, then it can get the now free IP. When the box that had the IP comes back, a bug in the DHCP code by you-know-who fails to release the old IP and to get a new one. The error message occurs and you get to learn about IP leases.

You can't fix this one, but can release and renew to get a new IP.

Bob

Collapse -

Thanks, makes sense to me.....

BTW, can you respond to my MS Office (Excel) problem I posted yesterday on the MS Office forum...?

Collapse -
Glad it made sense.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2004 7:15 AM PDT

To me, the issue of DHCP and you-know-who's failure to make it just work still amazes me. While I expect no cure for the old DOS based Windows or NT, the others past that time period shouldn't have this issue (but do.)

Bob

Collapse -
by Bill_MacClarence / November 23, 2004 2:54 PM PST

Sorry I'm such a dummy, but I don't know how to "release and renew to get a new IP"

Collapse -
For Bill_MacClarence
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2004 8:54 PM PST

Each OS differs as to how to release and renew, plus some offer multiple methods.

For instance, for XP I find that a command window (DOS) with the command ... IPCONFIG /RELEASE ... to work nicely and then I reboot to let it figure it out.

Before anyone notes that there is another way, I did write there was multiple methods.

For Windows 98, you can run WINIPCFG and play with its Release/Renew buttons.

If the machine is not set to DHCP (use the Windows Help and Support if you don't know about such) then all this is for naught.

bob

Collapse -
IP address conflict - trouble printing thru router
by sunnystrapp / July 31, 2010 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: For Bill_MacClarence

XP pro /Oki laser connected by router cabeled over LAN, two laptops con wifi
Bob tried your "IPCONFIG /RELEASE ... to work nicely and then I reboot to let it figure it out."

Its a charm. Thanks.

sunny

Collapse -
There is an IP address conflict with another system on the n
by britishlady / January 7, 2005 10:36 AM PST

You can't fix this one, but can release and renew to get a new IP.

How do I do this?

Collapse -
Same message on system with two bootable hard drives
by francorosso / February 21, 2005 4:44 PM PST

Just strted getting the IP address conflict messgae after I added another bootable hard drive to my system, but it appears that I can't access the network with this setup. Or maybe the internet was down at the time. Any suggestions

Franco

Collapse -
by bob_flowers / August 20, 2004 9:15 AM PDT

DID ANYONE EVER ANSWER THE POST BELOW? I'M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM:

Warning Msg: IP Address Conflict w/Another System on Network

My Linksys 4-Port Wireless network allows 4 PC's access to the internet via cable modem. Over the past couple of days, I keep getting a warning message that there is an IP address conflict with another system on the internet. So far, no one seems to be booted off and we're all accessing the internet w/o problems. What causes this problem (warning msg) and how can I prevent it from popping up?

Posted by: Catamount Panther Posted on: 07/13/2004 9:36 AM

Collapse -
by podoshj / September 11, 2004 7:59 AM PDT

Hmmmm.... I've tried release and renew a couple of times, and I still get this same error. Any other suggestions??

thanks

Collapse -
by tjdonahue / September 12, 2004 10:17 AM PDT

You don't by chance have one of the PCs set up to share an internet connection, do you? If maybe you were using ICS before having a router, did you uncheck "allow another computer to share internet connection"? If so, maybe that computer is attemting to deal out a 192.168.X.X address.

Collapse -
by zenhog / November 13, 2004 2:31 PM PST

Hey, I'm having the same problem and YES I am using ICS. On purpose! The problem is, once that pops up my wireless unit's connection is dropped. Any thoughts?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2004 10:48 PM PST

You need to release those IP addresses on the conflicting clients. Hint: It's done on the client, but your post didn't note OS so that's all I can tell you.

Bob

Collapse -
by scherhow / November 25, 2004 6:50 AM PST

If I may ride on the coattails of the original inquirer, I am experiencing the same error message. I think it is effecting my VPN by disconnecting it, but I'm not sure of that. I am operating with XP and have a Lynksys router if that has any relevance.

Collapse -
how i'll know which system IP conflict with me?
by rmishra_vatsa / December 22, 2004 7:26 PM PST

I keep getting a warning message that there is an IP address conflict with another system on the LAN. how i'll know which system IP conflict with me?

Collapse -
How?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2004 8:32 PM PST

You note the MAC address and look at your list of what machines have what MAC address and then go there and fix that one.

Bob

Collapse -
Re IP Address Conflicts
by ujima / January 10, 2005 1:02 AM PST

There are two solid solutions to IP Address Conflicts.
These are assumptions because I do not know how your network is configured.

Check to see if your computers are running "Obtain IP Automat." if so and you are still getting that error message.
1. Check/replace router
2. Check/replace the switch
3. Check/replace the cable/VoIP/modem

Finally, If each of your computers has an individual IP, your router or switch needs to be reconfig or the speed for both of them is no longer set correctly.

remember - "Ip Address Conflicts" is a connection problem not a computer problem!

Collapse -
two wireless computers
by Loislablover / January 13, 2005 8:31 AM PST

I am receiving this error on my daughters laptop only. My laptop does not get the message ever. When I check - we both have unique ip addresses. What do I check on my linksys wireless router - and how?

Collapse -
Your wireless "Ip Address Conflict" error message
by ujima / January 14, 2005 3:12 PM PST
In reply to: two wireless computers

The config in the laptop needs to be reset to "automatic" that will allow the laptop to have a "Static IP". Which she will need "IF" the router is "NOT" the main source for her internet access.
"IF" it is then chance her IP address to yours and change the "VERY LAST NUMBER in SEQUENCE" Example (xxx.xxx.xxx.xx1 - yours // hers - xxx.xxx.xxx.xx2) Got it!
The great thing about wireless is that the router just blast a signal out to the massives. Theres a great chance that IP addresses are colliding more often than 1st imagen.

G1

Collapse -
IP Address conflict
by Vonmoldy / April 11, 2005 5:58 PM PDT

I keep getting this one when i have an additional computer hooked up to router. one is WinXp one is Win2000 the router is a "Allied Telesis model 3612TR ieee802.3/ethernet 10 base T multiport hubrepeater with network management" I tried pinging and it checked out okay but when both computers hooked to router and i try to access internet i get the ip error message. I also tried the ipconfig/release thing and it didnt solve problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am new to networking so please explain things accordingly.Thanks

Collapse -
IP address conflict
by Jack Yan / April 15, 2005 11:25 AM PDT
In reply to: IP Address conflict

The only time I had this happen, Vonmoldy, was when I fed in a fake address as a static IP.

Are you using the usual 192.168.0.x IP addresses?

I am new to networking, too?I have had two machines hooked up for a year but consider myself an amateur.

Collapse -
careful theirs a Zeroaccess virus about
by elgnid0 / January 28, 2012 9:03 PM PST

I started to get the IP conflict error a lot then i couldnt get on the internet at all,shortly after my taskbar dis-appeared along with my icons,the only way i could try all the virus killers i was sent was to use the run facility in taskmanager,you know when pressing ctrl alt delete, top left run!, it beat me and my twin virus checkers,crunched my pc lost everything, re-installed OS now im getting another IP conflict error message,im feeling queesy already,

Collapse -
If you want prevent popup message...
by hbpak74 / March 24, 2008 5:56 PM PDT

Most of all.. if you find IP address who used it, that will be a best answer.
Second, you had better install firewall to prevent IP address conflict.
( Something like IP Holder 1.0, you can find it google..)

Collapse -
I get same conflict message
by pocojim / July 11, 2008 1:01 AM PDT

Message started appearing for me when I moved one PC from a wired to a wireless connection (using Linksys WUSB54GC). Network has three wired PS (all XP), network printer and network hard drive, plus three wireless PCs (all XP) through attached WAP54G. All PCs use DHCP and have automatic IP assignment. I have looked at the DHCP Active IP Table and there are no other clients sharing the address with this PC (192.168.1.105). I have powered down all devices (including routers) and restarted, but the message still pops up.

If the conflicting devices does not show up on the DHCP table, then how can I find it?

Jim

Collapse -
IP Address Conflict with another system on the network
by tomhersh / March 5, 2009 12:38 AM PST

IP address conflict with another system on the network

Collapse -
Help please
by Sharipixie / January 9, 2012 10:23 AM PST

I followed all of the above info several times and now in command prompt it says
"The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation. " any suggestions folks? I have no idea what I am doing.
Shari

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.