PC Applications forum

General discussion

Warning Dont get Driver Detective

by yelloworpheus / June 24, 2008 2:44 AM PDT

It keeps giving me the wrong drivers and their support system sucks too.I only had the product for 2days and have emailed them several times,telling them I want my money back.I have had no response.Iam probably stuck for the worthless product.They also had no help for reasons it didnt have or gave wrong driver for my comp.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Warning Dont get Driver Detective
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Warning Dont get Driver Detective
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
reply to: Warning........
by caktus / June 24, 2008 6:32 AM PDT

Not very specific. Been using DD myself for a few years now and the most common problem(?) I encounter is they often update the tool which requires that the older tool first be removed and THEN the new can be downloaded, then installed. But they usually provide a notice when this is necessary. We may never find such a tool that will always scan and direct perfectly every time, as drivers and applications usually update faster than such vendors can keep up. As with malware, no one can develop a fix until the problem is identified and understood. And almost invaribly, no one product or service will catch everything all of the time. DD does offer one very helpful piece of advice that applies in nearly all circumstances. If an application is working as it should, it is usually best not to update it's drivers unless the manufacturer has made the update specifically available to you. In other words "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Also, I have found that DD as with many vendors, it can take a bit of time to properly indentify the cause of a problem and offer or create a workable solution. But one of another, I have always known them to come through.

And of course, regardless what is in play, it is always our own responsibility to ensure we create a Restore point or other reliable backup prior to removing or installing new applications or drivers.

In any case, if you are demanding a refund from DD, I would expect they will come through.

Good Luck.

Charlie

Collapse -
http://www.drivershq.com/ is a scam
by td182a / August 29, 2009 3:38 AM PDT

Due to computer issues that I thought may be caused by a driver, I did a search, came up with Driver Detective on cnet. They offered a 3 week money back guarantee. After downloading and deciding quickly that it wasn't for me, I sent an email asking for my money refunded. That has not happened, Visa won't return my money, and they have changed their website removing the guarantee. Looks like I'm screwed.

Don't download Driver Detective from www.drvershq.com.

Collapse -
Dont believe these trolls, DD is the best
by mikeiev / August 2, 2015 9:48 PM PDT

I’ve been using DD since windows XP, and I have always found it to be the best. I’ve never had any issues with the program, save one. When I went from one flavor of windows to the next, I had to buy the new version. But, that can be expected, sometimes. Aside that, it is the most user friendly drivers program that I can find. It shows, clearly, what drivers you have, and what is available. I’ve been with other people, who tried other driver software. And then, came to DD, because. They cry at me, well, yours is better. I just tell, I’ll help you get it too. I like DD. But it seem that issue has come back. My DD does not want to run with windows 10. But it has only been 2 days out.

Collapse -
Honest disagreement
by James Denison / August 2, 2015 10:44 PM PDT

from what you may believe does not make one a "troll".

Collapse -
I agree
by icatss / March 8, 2009 12:41 PM PDT

Can't really add anything more to what you said, my experience has been the same. Wrong drivers, not updating after downloads, same exact results of scan after download, installation and rescan...Not a single reply to my emails for help, and subsequently a refund.

I found that this product is suitable for the MINIMAL needs of some basic drivers at best. It is NO help for drivers needed to correct other issues and the thing is, any time you go to a sight THINKING you are finally going to get help, the point you to Driver Detective!! LOL Now that's rich.. Boy I wonder how much they paid for that....

Collapse -
diver detective SUCKS!!!
by azcbdave / March 14, 2009 2:34 AM PDT

I purchased it before I read reviews... now they won't fix my blue screen.
Support is a total waste of time. I want to find their address and give them total havoc for all the probs they've caused me.

diver detective SUCKS!!!

Collapse -
Driver Detective is Horrible! Do NOT get Driver Detective
by DebB1965 / August 15, 2009 7:46 AM PDT

I got bought Driver Detective before I read the reviews. Bad Mistake! It is absolutely terrible. No help whatsoever, and far more harm than good. I would love to get my money back. Do NOT buy this!

Collapse -
driver detective
by Fereyle / October 17, 2009 7:46 PM PDT

I second this notion. Like I don't have better things to do with my time but being robbed.

Collapse -
ill driver detective
by sickdriverDD / March 8, 2010 12:12 PM PST

Save your breath, your time, your $$$, don't even bother to try this ill DRIVER DETECTIVE. Does not work, worthless. When it comes to a refund...goooood luck! Try calling, no one answer, only messages.
And no emails response after numerous emails complaints I've made.
Still waiting for my refund like a sitting dead duck.
I've forced to restore the computer instead.

Collapse -
I got a refund woohoo
by gotarefund / June 3, 2012 11:39 AM PDT
In reply to: ill driver detective

Hi there,

I had paid for this product and it found 21 out of date drivers on my computer (even though my computer is pretty new?). None of the drivers suggested would actually download so the product was useless for my needs. I sent a few emails about getting a refund - I kept getting an automated 'try these steps' etc. I finally called the company and left a voicemail (no other option as no one answers the phone), there is also a link on their website for applying for a refund so I filled out that form too and presto - I got an email back a few hours later to say that a refund was being processed for me. I just checked my bank and the money is back in my account (it took about 10 days). So anyone out there that's not happy and wants a refund, I would recommend leaving a voicemail and using the refund request form on their website.

Hope it helps...

Collapse -
Same problem as the above
by mariannebush / January 16, 2011 2:00 PM PST

I'm really annoyed with Driver Detective as well for the same reason and because of the fact that I solved my driver problem before they even came back with a solution. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. Support is non existent, by the way. So, lost $40 buck to a lousy company. It sucks.

Collapse -
That's a big bite in the ***
by luvudddmc / June 24, 2012 9:42 AM PDT

I just downloaded the Driver Detective today and paid the lousy $40 wish I had seen this info before doing so but it was what was recommended for my laptop. Plus, when I had gotten onto my laptop later in the day I had seen that it was deleted when my laptop was in startup repair mode. Guess I'll just have to ask a friend of mine to help me out with whatever it is I need to do update my drivers.

Collapse -
Yes, a hard lesson
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 24, 2012 8:32 PM PDT

but may I ask, what drivers do you need?

There is a general consensus that, if a system is working well with no issues, don't update drivers.

Is your system working well? If not you can always visit the computer maker's web site for drivers specific to your machine, or failing that, to the hardware manufacturers' web sites for the individual hardware driver updates.

Mark

Collapse -
thank u
by Hk_hosny / September 9, 2011 10:07 PM PDT
thanks a lot for ur help many people were going to fall in this trap thank u

Collapse -
DriverDoctor Warnings - SO very very SPOT ON -
by ne1uo / April 26, 2012 8:29 AM PDT

I feel the PAIN of all the victims of this company. CNET ought to be embarrassed to plug this company. From now on - we're only using Uniblue for our drivers. At least their software won't kill your system. When DriverDoctor dirvers CRASHED our PC's (in addition to causing boot to take several minutes in stead of just 30 seconds) we had to use an old mirror image to get our systems restored to decent health. These jokers expected us to try and load their software again - in hopes they could use OUR horrible experience to make their program/drivers run right!! Oh - SURE I want to risk our data to a fly by night product. that folks are getting burned on when they try to get a refund. I'm highly suspect of anyone that says this product is ok by them. I'd suspect that the DriverDoctor company it self is writing those kinds of rebuttals. This product is on our company's black list, and it's easy to understand why there are so many like minded people.

Collapse -
Ever heard the expression
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 26, 2012 8:34 AM PDT

"Jumping from the frying pan into the fire"?

Ditching DriverDoctor, great move.

Now using Uniblue? Ouch, bad move.

Why are you using any utility to search for and find drivers? Are you having problems with drivers? If so, go directly to the hardware manufacturers' sites to get them.

But then there is this common maxim; "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". That works with computers as well, if they are working well, don't update any drivers.

Mark

Collapse -
Use MFG site for driver
by mickietee / April 25, 2013 2:32 AM PDT

Good luck on that one, my friend. Ihave sought for 3 days to find a suitable driver for the Conexant HDA chip on my Pavilion dv2100 laptop.I have tried everything under the sun from HP, from MS, and even from Uniblue. All have Problems: either WinMediaPlayer won't produce audio (Conexant driver), or High Definition Audio Device driver loses audio after resuming from sleep. Everyone else seems to think its logical to disable standby on this unit and live with it. How about you? About 20 or so drivers on this unit have the version listed as: 6.1.7601.17514 (2006.06.21).

Collapse -
Never had this problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 2:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re :-
by dylanrodriguez2012 / July 8, 2012 10:52 PM PDT

Hello Guys.

First, you should definitely take a few seconds to give yourself a good pat on the back. You definitely made a good decision to update your USB audio device driver. And why do I make this statement? Basically for simple fact that a large amount of people completely ignore the importance of updating their USB device drivers.

All your comment for technology development are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
Why?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 9, 2012 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Re :-

If the existing drivers are working well, why update them?

What brought you to this decision?

Mark

Collapse -
Driver Detective Sucks
by RexRhino / November 17, 2013 2:16 PM PST

After purchase and installation, I was required to call them to register the software (what the....?). They installed a remote access program to check for issues and found 63,000 issues (what the...?). It would require a Microsoft Certified technician to resolve the issues for "a one-time fee of $169" (what the...?). I told the DD guy I didn't have that kind of money, but he persisted in wanting to charge me the $169. I shouted "No! No! No!". I disconnected the computer from the internet and disconnected the call. Then I removed the remaining cash from my account. I saw he had done something in the registry, so now I have to redo my pc. I am dropping my Driverguide account as well.

Collapse -
run away
by jfuss21 / December 12, 2013 11:46 PM PST
In reply to: Driver Detective Sucks

the same thing happened to me --almost exactly--could only remove software by re-storing computer from a restore point--told tech I didn't want software installed so he turned me over to another tech who installed it before he would get back on the line--have called everyday for a refund-I do get a person to talk to who keeps promising a refund but still waiting for a refund. The number I call is 18779587514

Collapse -
Yet another very unhappy Driver Detective customer.
by KeithVSG / January 5, 2014 6:57 AM PST
In reply to: Driver Detective Sucks

How interesting that your experience is echoed by mine, even to the number of "issues" purportedly found and used as a tool to pressure me, and to the high pressure salesmanship employed in attempts to sell their very expensive "system repair and maintenance service". In my case their careful attention to my driver needs resulted in the downloading of hardware drivers that I did not want or need, without downloading the single driver I had been seeking. PLUS as a free extra, my computer would no longer boot-up from cold. So reluctant was my computer to boot that the only way in which I could retrieve my system was by employing the HP System Restore process and disk set; the last pass of which accessed my back-up drive and restored to a restore point prior to the disastrous download. Freed of the bad download and installation from Driver Detective, my HP P.C. booted-up quite happily.

A telephone conversation with the Driver Detective folks requesting a refund of my "subscription" and "download fee" was most unsatisfactory. Despite the claimed '60 day money back unconditional guarantee', ' if not fully satisfied' I had to refuse multiple insistent offers to "repair" my computer, as if I would allow further access to my machine by the people who had just disabled it. By insisting on a refund, I was passed from person to person, each of whom promised a refund of my complete payment; a refund that has not appeared! I have filed a "dispute" via PayPal, but, despite two successive written communications via that resolution channel, there is no response of any kind, hence I have now filed a "Claim" via PayPal since I have been warned that my dispute period is about to terminate. I'll follow-up with a later feedback note when there is something of interest to report.

Collapse -
Further to: Yet another unhappy Driver Detective customer
by KeithVSG / January 18, 2014 2:01 AM PST

As promised in my earlier post, here is a follow-up.

During the Paypal "Dispute" process I wrote twice to Driver Detective reminding them of their guarantee and my total dissatisfaction with their service; no response was received to either message. My "Claim" was dismissed by Paypal on the grounds that the service provided by Driver Detective was "Intangible". i.e. one cannot touch or hold it.

Thus we have a company marketing a service with a guarantee of user satisfaction, a company that will not stand behind its guarantee when the service being sold is unsatisfactory and is in fact harmful to the service receiver's property.

Paypal meanwhile offers its buyer protection against dishonest business practices as an inducement to make payments through the Paypal system, but fails to notify the users of its payment service that the refund coverage applies only to tangible products, hence eliminating from coverage all services.

My advice to others is to avoid Paypal and to make your purchases directly through your credit card. Your credit card company provides a far better purchase protection guarantee than that provided via Paypal.

Collapse -
DRIVER DETECTIVE MORE LIKE DRIVER DEFECTIVE
by MikeT1959 / November 20, 2013 11:34 PM PST

Again purchased driver detective without seeing reviews, in a hurry ,stupid mistake,allowed tech to install,another stupid mistake, after it waswapparent i wasn't going to purchase any more software hung up half way through installation after screwing everything up so as to look like i neded proffessional help. Finished installation, rebooted, Norton crashed blue screen, ended up having to system restore from start up reinstall Norton [ DD Norton partner i wonder if they are aware of what sort of games there partners play.] computer now working, no response for refund. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE THIS PRODUCT,IF YOU DO, DO NOT LET TECH HAVE REMOTE CONTROL, YOU'LL BE SORRY

Collapse -
DRIVER DETECTIVE FALSE ADVERTISING
by BRRSKY-C / January 6, 2014 9:15 AM PST

Don't be lured by the "Satisfaction guaranteed or you Money Back" I requested a refund numerous times and they never did process or return my $40

Collapse -
Driver Detective
by ROBBOVnM / February 5, 2014 3:00 AM PST

BAD software!
They did not provide me with current drivers! After paying for the program to up load the drivers that it said I needed, my computer said that I had more currant drivers then the ones that DD tried to load. This was after a heavy sell by an Indian firm that scanned my computer to tell me what they could fix on it.

I am in the process of trying to get my money back (wish me luck) hopefully the credit card company will stand behind me as of now DD does not want to refund my money.

This is nothing but a way to get you to buy other services marketed by them.

Collapse -
Driver Detective Download Review
by mp3buy / February 8, 2014 12:40 AM PST

Driver Detective software program is designed to quickly find the most current drivers particular to your computer program by means of its consumer friendly interface and access to an in depth database. Driver Detective saves the stress and in depth time investment usually linked with updating drivers.

DriverDetectiveDownload.info

Collapse -
Spam.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 8, 2014 12:48 AM PST

And thread is 2055 days old.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Driver Detective Not that bad
by jsheeh9427 / February 10, 2014 3:32 AM PST

I have been using Driver Detective since 2008. I have no complaints.

However, I must add this. You need to know what your downloading first.
Take for example. On my HP laptop the AMD Radeon driver also includes the USB 3.0 driver as well as the SMB.

DD found the correct driver for my video card but it ended up rolling back the driver for the USB and SMB. This was very frustrating to me until I figured out why. They are all bundled and if you know a thing or two about bundled drivers sometimes the latest driver comes with some back dated components to make it work. As in AMDs case. So what I ended up doing was downloading the driver using DD and extracting the contents. Once that was done used device manger and updated the drivers individually. Ran DD again and it showed I was missing no drivers.

You need to know your system when you start downloading drivers. DD is a great tool and does a great job if you know how to use it. Its not the end all be all but it is very adequate for everyday needs.

Just me pennies worth.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.