Spyware, Viruses, & Security

Rant

Warning about Avast

by Fenix99909 / September 21, 2013 1:41 AM PDT

Friday morning, Avast alerted me that there was a suspicious "hidden object" (root kit) in my computer. After failing to get any results through my Avast software on deleting it, I called the number Avast had on the screen for FREE telephone support. BTW, I had just re-subscribed.

I talked to a representative, and told him that the Boot scan showed No Virus, but after Re-boot, Avast said the virus was still there. I ran the scan several times. He scared me with all this talk about losing all control of our computers (and having to replace them) unless I purchased the Avast Pro Support - $179, then, $299 when I said there were actually two computers on our network - 2 for $299.

After a Tech supposedly "fixed" my computer, and signed off, I rebooted, and got the same warning. I scanned it again. The report said "no virus". However, the alerts keep on coming. False Positive.

Meanwhile, another Tech - on the other computer - really screwed up, knocked off the wireless, and lost the connection, and signed off, so very little was even done. We were worried that the computer was really screwed up now. And, I don't think she even inserted the new license.

According to the internet, this False Positive Scan concerning the Win32:Evo-gen virus has been a known issue for months. It seems like most victims we've seen so far are customers of Avast. Avast is continuing to report a False Positive. The company should have known all of this by now, since it's been happening for so many months, and it's their job to keep up with all of this.

I put my computer through the same kinds of tests with other anti-virus companies, and they found No Viruses! Still, Avast says differently.

He gave me a new Avast Pro license, and my credit card company said there were charges around $500 from all this, pending. The first $179 was NOT even taken off, when I told him to go ahead, and fix the other computer also! I was charged twice!

All of this took up my entire day! They deleted all of my important cookies without even asking, and tossed my pricey PC cleaner in the Recycle Bin!

The Rep didn't tell me that there have been False Positives reported by Avast, and connected to the Win32:Evo-gen virus (or Trojan). Not only did he scam me, upset me, and waste my time,the total charges are over $500!!

I am shocked at Avast, engaging in these kinds of practices, and I will never trust this company again.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Warning about Avast
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Warning about Avast
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This story repeats with all the others.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2013 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Warning about Avast

False Positives are common and I have yet to find a good way to convince owners about this. They remain convinced it is infected and may run off to another shop to get it removed. The results are similar to your story.

I wish there were not False Positives but if folk don't know, they lose a lot of time and money no matter what the antivirus company.
Bob

Collapse -
A suggestion for the future..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / September 22, 2013 4:29 AM PDT

Fenix..

First let me say, I'm sorry to hear what you went through. It's not my intention to add insult to injury, but to provide a couple of suggestions should you find yourself in a similar situation in the future.

'The Rep didn't tell me that there have been False Positives reported by Avast, and connected to the Win32:Evo-gen virus (or Trojan).......'

You have a lot more faith in reps than I do! Whether you choose to continue to use Avast or install another, I would recommend the following if your A/V detects "malware". Especially so, if it's a rare occurrence.

Go to the community forum to see if other's are reporting the same detection. Generally, if it's a false positive you will find more than one or two threads. Or .. "me too" posts. I also make use of the forums' "search" feature. Take advantage of your favored search engine, where you may find it being reported elsewhere.

I would further suggest uploading the reported file to an onlilne service which analyzes suspicious file. VirusTotal and VirSCAN only being two examples.

Best of luck in the future..
Carol

Collapse -
(NT) Never pay for what you can get free...
by EZRIDER714 / October 7, 2013 2:55 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.