TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Want to use headphones with TV, but TV has no headphone jack

by Starfish564 / August 10, 2007 1:40 AM PDT

I'm not sure if there is even a solution to this, but thought I'd ask anyway. I have a nice TV that I like alot (not an HD or anything fancy, just a normal 19inch). The problem is, I would like to be able to use headphones with it but there is no headphone jack on the TV. Does anyone know if there is some sort of adapter I could buy for this? Or am I out of luck?

Thanks!

J.B.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Want to use headphones with TV, but TV has no headphone jack
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Want to use headphones with TV, but TV has no headphone jack
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MR STARFISH SO SORRY

The t.v. would have to be mobified and a circut installed for headphone use it would cost more than the t.v. is worth My advice would be to save your money and upgrade to a sweet hi-def t.v. You dont know what you are missing Just add a cable or satellite hi-def system and add the hi-def package and you will be blown away with picture quality and programming thats out of this world stewee

Collapse -
You could try this adapter cable
by C_519 / August 10, 2007 10:48 AM PDT

I don't know how well it works, but if you already have some headphones then you can just plug them into the 3.5mm head jack and plug the two RCA connectors(Red and White) into the composite video jacks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AJ692/

Collapse -
A BIG thank you to C 519! :)
by Starfish564 / August 23, 2007 5:41 AM PDT

I just wanted to express my appreciation to C 519. I ordered the adapter cable he suggested and IT WORKED!!! I am thrilled. Paying $5.99 on Amazon sure beats having to get a new TV. Thank you for taking the time to post that info. You're awesome!

Sincerely,

Joanna
(Starfish564)

Collapse -
c519 is right!
by songzz12 / August 24, 2007 8:51 AM PDT

yea c519 got it right on the head. im an audio nut so i really wanted to add to this and help out. but basically, anything that has a standard output like that should be compatible with headphones, as long as you get the appropriate adapters for it. so as long as it fits, it shoudl work! =D

Collapse -
Thank you
by Starfish564 / August 25, 2007 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: c519 is right!

Thanks songzz12! The people on these boards are so helpful. It's great to have a place to ask strange questions that people actually know the answers to:) The concept of adapters definitely makes sense. Thanks for the advice.

Joanna
(Starfish564)

Collapse -
A follow on question --
by bud909 / August 24, 2008 9:47 AM PDT

I'm sure you are right == using the audio out jacks on the set. But do you know of a way, using this method, that will cut the external TV audio, so that only the headphone audio comes thru? I suspect this is a bigger problem, but maybe not.

Thanks.

bud909

Collapse -
This will require someone who knows what he/she is doing.
by ahtoi / August 25, 2008 8:32 AM PDT

Just put a on-off switch one one of the speaker wire. Should be fairly simple.

Collapse -
Bud909
by cnt21 / September 3, 2008 12:18 PM PDT

Check TVears.com if your talking about a headphone product.

Collapse -
TV-Headphones
by yorkshireguy11 / October 5, 2009 7:33 PM PDT

Hi, check out B-TECH BT92B,you have a seperate volume and tone so you can have tv volume at any level even off and have your own headphones just at the volume you like, good if someone is hard of hearing aswell.I also use it on minidisc player and an amplifier, hope this helps.

Collapse -
Tv-Headphones
by yorkshireguy11 / October 5, 2009 8:19 PM PDT
In reply to: TV-Headphones

Sorry guys its not the B-TECH BT92B its B-TECH BT928.

Collapse -
headphone
by sgl / December 16, 2010 9:49 PM PST

I JUST BOUGHT A NEW TOSHIBA 32IN(32C1OOU) IT HAS NO AUDIO OUPUT JACKS.IT DOES HAVE A DIGITAL AUDIO OUT. HOW CAN I SETUP HEADPHONES TO WORK WITH THIS. OR IS IT POSSIBLE? NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET.

Collapse -
TV has no headphone jack? Check this out
by cnt21 / September 3, 2008 12:12 PM PDT

TVears is an interesting product you should scope out. They sell an adapter, but also sell TVears(headphone product) which is an interesting item I plan to consider since I only use headphones on my tv since I live in an apartment and the only way to hear the tv and have privacy in ths loud place is to use headphones.

Collapse -
Update on Tvears
by cnt21 / September 3, 2008 12:28 PM PDT

I would recommend the regular inexpensive adapter. Tvears adapter is $20. and it might only be made for their Tvear headset, I'm not sure. I plan on buying Tvears if it is what I think it is.

Collapse -
jacks
by LarsOnMira / August 6, 2011 5:49 AM PDT

This only works if the jacks are audio out, not audio in. So Joanna was lucky to have the proper audio out jacks on her TV.

Collapse -
headphone jack
by journeyman70401 / February 9, 2010 6:05 AM PST

i have put a lot of head phone jacks in televisions. you can buy the jack at radio shack. you have to solder two light guage wires to the jack about 18 inches long. drill a hole in the side of the tv. the size needed for the jack instilation. cut one of the wires going to the apeaker cut the wire in the middle. splice the cut wires one each to the two wires from the jack. you are done. the jack has 3 terminals. one of them will cut the sound to the tv speaker when the head phone is pluged in. the other terminal will not.

Collapse -
Thanks Headphone Jack!
by seaweed009 / July 9, 2012 2:44 PM PDT
In reply to: headphone jack

Originally was going to open up tv and try to connect to internal speakers. Wasn't sure how I was to do it but figured there had to be a way. Then found the adapter at amazon. Does not work with my tv. So now am going to install per your instructions. Thanks.

Collapse -
Digital TV Headphones
by Pumpkineater2 / October 28, 2013 11:59 PM PDT

My wife uses a 'digital TV headphone amplifier' which plugs into the optical output if you have one.

http://redwhizz.co.uk/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.